Prince Let's Go Crazy Solo Effect??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Killcrop, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

When Prince solos on Lets go crazy what is the effect he uses. It sounds kinda like a wah but I don't think it is.

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Octavia I believe, its all over the Purple Rain album in various amounts....

3. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Is that on the When Doves Cry intro as well? Sounds like some kind of octave effect...

4. Don Rusk

yeah I hadnt played one before that was out and later when I did and was screwing around with the volume knob, thats the first thing that came to mind even before hendrix/trower .... but he uses it really musically ... ok I admit it I was a Prince fan :angel and the guy can play.

5. Don Rusk

oh it may also be a wah... I know he also had a guy off stage working his pedal board....:AOK

LordByron likes this.
  6. Killcrop

I have this auto wah setting on this Korg PX3 practice unit and it sounds exactly like the Prince solo. I don't hear the octive thing but I've been wrong before.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Pretty sure there's some wah-used-as-filter going on there.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

9. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I can get that When Doves Cry sound (sorta) with my Digitech synth wah. For a cheap little pedal, it's got a lot of cool quirky settings. Not a mainstay on my small pedalboard (don't have the room), but when feeling like funkin' it up, or doing wacky vocal-type synth-y stuff, it's a blast.

10. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

The guitar solo and intro in When Doves Cry sounds more to me like an fuzzy guitar with a lower octave mixed in. The upper octave note sounds more natural than what I hear from most Octavia type pedals, while the lower octave is a bit muddier. Possibly a pitch shifter, possibly a MXR Blue Box. Same kind of tone as Darling Nikki (a friend found one version of DN witha n extended guitar solo, excellent!) and now that I listen to it, same as Let's Go Crazy. The lower octave in all of the Purple Rain fuzz tones comes in and out kind of randomly. I'm more accustomed to hear Octavia sounds as the real piercing tones like Purple Haze and Blue on Black (Kenny Wayne Shepherd?). If it is an Octavia, he may be filtering it with a wah set as a notch filter, but....

I remember reading somewhere that for quite a while during the late 80's early 90's he was using Soldanos and a lot of Boss pedals. Try to watch for some live videos and you'll see an absolutely huge pedal board at his mic stand. Last time I saw him he was using a Whammy pedal like crazy.

joe

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Sounds like a fuzz type effect with a cocked wah tone-maybe an auto wah set up in a parked setting. I bet you could get that with a gainy amp, a fuzz like a Sola Tone Bender and a Q Zone or Keeley Nova Wah.

12. gearboy

gearboy Member

Hey grego7...what setting do you use on the synth-wah for that sound? I would like to give it a try..

thanks

13. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

On the solo, sounds like a harmonizer or Boss octaver. I don't hear anything on the cadenza at the end.

14. joseph

joseph Member

as above, sounds like a OD/distortion into a Boss Octave pedal, which duplicates the note both 1 and 2 octaves lower (different from octavia, foxx tone machine, Danelectro french toast, etc).

15. joseph

joseph Member

as above, sounds like a OD/distortion into a Boss Octave pedal, which duplicates the note both 1 and 2 octaves lower (different from octavia, foxx tone machine, Danelectro french toast, etc).

16. HHB

HHB Member

crybaby wah into Boss DS1 into a clean mesa boogie and 412 cab, I think you guys are thinking of When Dove Cry w/ the OC2 octave box on

17. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

There's a bit of confusion here - there are two solos in the song: one in the middle and one at the end. The one in the middle is the one that seems hard to figure out - it sounds like some kind of harmonizer to me, but I have no solid info to back it up.

18. Don Rusk

I was thnkin about that today - yeah if I remember right theres a part in there that sounds kind of like a MXR Blue Box, that lower 'Fool in the Rain' tone.........hmmmmm

19. erksin

erksin Member

Sounds like the MXR Blue Box to me...

20. Killcrop

So who's right?:NUTS