Prince Stomp Box? Stop Laughing and read!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rhomco, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

OK, OK! I know...Why would anyone ask about Prince? I have never been much of a fan either but damn it he can play guitar. I saw the recent SNL with Steve Martin video stream and he really kicks butt. OK, here's my question. What kind of effect is he using to get that repeating effect. He uses it in the most devestaing manner in this song. I want one bad.
    Rob (who still cant believe I said "Prince"

2. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Most likely a Boss of some sort.

Hamilton

3. brent

brent Member

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

5. Craise

Craise Member

Prince's Board from the Hit and Run Tour 2000-2001 :dude

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

It looks like Prince uses a few special pedal mods there! that fuzzy blue and fuzzy yellow one. One I add those to my pedals I'll sound just like him! :D

thanks for the pic!

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Sorry you don't like Prince man...you are missin out. The guy is talented.:cool:

Bob

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Because he's a killer player, singer, composer, band leader, producer, multi-instrumentalist, etc.... :NUTS

9. g-nem

g-nem Member

Dude- prince is one of the greatest- my first real music love.

I've tried to read the labels on the midi controller in the pic, but the only ones I can read are clean, sitar, and twin- do you know what the others are, craise?

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Maybe that Boss Vibrato pedal set to a pulsing trem type setting? (if that's the part you're referring to).
    Greg

11. raz

raz Member

Word. Got Chaos and Disorder on the iPod now. Skinny little dude rocks.

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I posted this on the other thread too:

Just watched the clip again, and if you notice the speed of the trem speeds up and slows down. I'm not sure if the Boss or Seek-Trem can do that, I don't think they can. My guess is that its a http://www.gig-fx.com/ Chopper, controlled by an off stage tech, check out the bouncing ball clip.

13. Craise

Craise Member

Lol! No problem..
    funny story. I saw Prince at the Tabernalce on the Hit and Run Tour and I was like 2nd row. As we waited for the show to start, I noticed that the center stage mic stand was loaded with a mic and ready to go. I also noticed that the stand seemed to be set really low only like 3 1/2 or 4 foot high..and I though..oh someone will come out before the show starts and raise the mic up before he hits the stage. I waited...nothing...then the show started Prince came out and DOH ! the mic stand and mic was set perfect for him!!! He's like 5'2" I think... He was soooo tiny... like a little girl. His legs were so thin...I've seen guys with bigger arms. Any I thought that was funny. Go see him when he tours again. I got to see him a few times before he stated to play big arenas again..man...he tore the roof off those small places...even cooler is find out where the after show is at. Leave right at the end and get in line. Prince offen plays these after parties. He playes lots of cover songs...like Zep, James Brown and Santanta. These parties hold only 200-300 people so you have to leave right after or before the main show ends...but it's worth it...believe me!
    :AOK

14. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I think they should make the next digitech modeling pedal a Prince pedal.

Seriously.

The guy has had more than his fair share of really good tones (when doves cry intro, for example). Too bad the Jimi model is already purple...

15. g-nem

g-nem Member

Considering prince uses mostly boss pedals, and always has, I don't see digitech doin that;)

16. svanangen

svanangen Member

I'm truly sad that you can't believe you just said Prince. He is the Mozart of groove and one of the greatest writers, singers, players of our time!

17. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

As far as amps, Prince likes a Mesa Heartbreaker

18. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Uh HUH ! I`ll never forget Miles Davis on the old Arsenio Hall Show ...Miles was getting fed up with Ansenios misquotes and dumb questions when Arsenio asked Miles what he thought about Prince....Miles blurted ..Prince ...is a GEEEENIUS. That`s when I took a closer look ...Our boy who started this thread should be next on that tip .

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Right on. Everyone I know was talking about that appearance on superbowl sunday. After the procession of trash that SNL has had on in recent years it's was a shot in the arm to see someone who can sing, play and PERFORM at Prince's level. I almost forgot that there are still a few TRULY talented people left in the rock and pop world. OTOH I thought Steve Martin was a disappointment.

As for the absolutely cool effect as prince left the stage with his guitar still roaring - it was some kind of Trem/autopan stacked with dist and a Flanger or phaser. I have no idea how the trem speed was being changed but it sounded great.

:RoCkIn

20. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

He was playing through a Mesa Lonestar combo. I don't think the trem-rate was changing, if you listen at the very end of the clip it's steady, just very fast.

I saw someone mention that he uses a custom Dunlop wah of some sort? It seemed like it was touch-activated.