Princeton Blackface RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brianf, Jul 6, 2008.

1. brianf

brianf Member

2. Gene

Gene Member

I am getting 1 this week. I am a PR junkie... PCB but I've heard great things about it, so far. I have the original 66 and 68 along with PR II. I'll write more after I've given it a workout.

3. brianf

brianf Member

PCB is a total non issue for me.

I have yet to hear a real Deluxe Reverb that sounds better than my DRRI.

Folks don't seem to complain about Bogners or Mesa too much.:AOK

I'm sure your will sounf great.

brianf

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

I just picked one up yesterday. I like it! My first amp was a blackface Princeton and I think that informed my ear early on about what tone was supposed to be. That amp is long gone, but this RI sounds just like what I remember. I also have the Princeton Recording Amp, which I love, but the PRRI sounds more "open" than the PRA -- there seems to be more "depth" to the tone, though to be honest, the difference is slight and I can only hear it when doing a direct comparison. The weight difference is pretty real though!

5. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

I'd love to go down to GC or somewhere and check one out...I've read good things, never heard one myself...please users let us know what you think and how they compare to the real thing.

6. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

They are very cool I have play one twice. Great tone a bit pricey for what they are. You can buy a DRRI for abot $50.00 less. But hey it is still very cool.

7. Griz

Griz Member

The local shop has had a PRRI in for the last 2-3 weeks. It looks every bit as well made as the DRRI.

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

$50.00 more. The PRRI is $899 DRRI $949

9. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I got one a week ago and it sounds amazing!

10. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

OK, so I played the PRRI today and really liked it. Why would I get this instead of the DRRI?

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Sounds better? Lighter weight? Maybe you wouldn't.

12. D.G.

D.G. Member

It might depend on your power requirements. The DRRI is louder than the PRRI for sure. I can keep up with a loud drummer with a DRRI, I'm not so sure with the PRRI. Tonewise, I'd have the say that the PRRI smokes the DRRI, but YMMV!

13. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

What makes the tone better? Similar tube arrangement, right? Is it the 10"? I can't find a place that has both to side by side them.

I like the size and the lower wattage ability to get into the power tubes on the PR, though I could get close to that on the DR too I suspect.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I know a guy in a rock band who played an outdoor gig with a PR. If it's run through the PA it really doesn't matter.

He apparently got a few smirks and sideways glances from the guitar players in the other band. However, once he started playing they were shuffling their feet and staring at the ground.

15. D.G.

D.G. Member

Talk about a loaded question! They are different circuits. Their overall voice is different. I don't think the speaker is much of a factor here. The DRRI can sound "brittle" in the high end whereas the PRRI sounds "smooth" in the high end. I like the midrange setting on the PRRI better as well. The entire voice just sounds more musical to my ear.

If you can afford it, it's worth having both. I have a TRRI, DRRI and PRRI. I'd like something inbetween the TRRI and the DRRI powerwise that's NOT the SRRI! Something like a Vibrolux that's NOT the CVR (which I've owned and liked, but it's definitely a Zinky voicing, i.e not my cup 'o tea.) Ideally, I'd like the Princeton sound in powerlevels of 100, 50, 22, 15 and 5 watts!

16. D.G.

D.G. Member

It really depends on your drummer. You could rely on the monitor to give you you a proper amount of stage volume, but I find that an unreliable approach, though YMMV. I currently work with 3 different drummers, and the 15 watts is fine for 2 of them but 22 watts is barely adequate for the other and I usually use a Twin with him.

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

I want to get one! I am enjoying my SF PR w/ Red Fang 10.

Tomo

18. D.G.

D.G. Member

What are the advantages of the Red Fang?

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Really not trying to hijack, but I'm very interested in hearing if those of you who have played / own the PRRI have compared it side by side to the Super Champ XD on it's blackface setting.

Anywhere near the same ballpark in sound?

20. mds

mds Member

In the same vein, I'd love to hear some comments on how they compare to BFs and SFs....non RI, of course....