• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Princeton "Fudge Brownie" Limited Edition - thoughts?

Creepwood

Hi all!

I've been after those sweet Princeton cleans for a long time! I recently had a chance to test drive the stock PRRI and the limited "Navy Blues" edition featuring a 12" Celestion Blue. Both were good, but the stock version seemed a little too trebly and strident and the Blue was a bit too loud and bold for my purposes (home playing and recording). I've now got a chance to score one of the limited edition "Fudge Brownie" FSR Princetons (new condition), which is basically a stock PRRI with an alnico Jensen (P10Q). I can't try it out but I suspect that it'll be a little sweeter / less harsh than the stock Jensen and a little more fendery / glassier than the Blue. Am I way off? Should I take a chance here? I'm also eyeing the Dr. Z Cure which on paper seems like the better deal (and would certainly be the more versatile amp), but I'm not sure it will deliver THAT sound...

I'm currently using a Yamaha THR10C on the Deluxe setting, btw, and it sounds surprisingly awesome, but there are moments when I just want to plug into an actual amp, dammit!

Thoughts? :)

Creepwood

Ever consider a Princeton with a 1x12? Seems rounder and sweeter than a ten.
Yeah, the Navy Blues edition has a 12" Celestion Blue - sounded great, but not as fendery as I'd want, maybe 10" would be better... The only stock 12" version seems to be the Navy Blues one.

My reaction to that amp is primarily aesthetic: I'm more or less OK with a cosmetically brownface amp that's really still a blackface circuit, but I think it would have looked a lot better if they had gone the whole distance and given it a brown faceplate and correct knobs. (That said, I wish they would do proper reissues of more brownface amps.)

guitargeezer

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, the Navy Blues edition has a 12" Celestion Blue - sounded great, but not as fendery as I'd want, maybe 10" would be better... The only stock 12" version seems to be the Navy Blues one.
No, actually several of the online retailers...and Guitar Center...have Princeton Reverbs with 12" speakers. Sweetwater has this one...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

And Guitar Center has this one...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Bordeaux-Reserve.gc

Major Dude

Ever consider a Princeton with a 1x12? Seems rounder and sweeter than a ten.
^^ +1 - this is a good suggestion

I've watched/heard a number of players using SF Princetons around Ireland recently and have been very impressed. All of them were drip-edge models and so were possibly stock SF reissues but they didn't sound too trebly. To be fair they were definitely in very capable hands but these amps can obviously be dialled in. I feel you would be safe with whichever model you can get at the right price.

I gig a Carr Rambler but they certainly had me interested in trying one out. Good luck

Creepwood

No, actually several of the online retailers...and Guitar Center...have Princeton Reverbs with 12" speakers. Sweetwater has this one...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

And Guitar Center has this one...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Bordeaux-Reserve.gc
True - I forgot to add that I'm in Europe and would like to purchase a locally available 230v version, everything else would probably turn out to be a bit of a hassle.

And yeah, a brown version that's not an actual brownface Princeton and still has the black chassis / knobs looks a bit weird - but I actually like it better than the boring black PRRI, shallow, I know :D

Rhythm Rocker

Hi all!

I've been after those sweet Princeton cleans for a long time! I recently had a chance to test drive the stock PRRI but the stock version seemed a little too trebly. I've now got a chance to score one of the limited edition "Fudge Brownie" FSR Princetons (new condition), which is basically a stock PRRI with an alnico Jensen (P10Q). I can't try it out but I suspect that it'll be a little sweeter / less harsh than the stock Jensen and a little more fendery / glassier than the Blue. Am I way off? Should I take a chance here? Thoughts? :)
Buy it! The Jensen P10Q alnico sounds wonderful in a PRRI. It's better than the C10R ceramic that comes stock in PRRIs,
and has a nice clean warm tone. I have a Jensen P10R alnico in my FSR PRRI and it's clean sparkle. I would love to have a PRRI
with a P10Q also for cleans with a little more warmth. They are both great alnico speakers. Just depends what flavor you like.

Seems you like Chocolate (Fudge Brownie). ;)

Creepwood

Buy it! The Jensen P10Q alnico sounds wonderful in a PRRI. It's better than the C10R ceramic that comes stock in PRRIs,
and has a nice clean warm tone. I have a Jensen P10R alnico in my FSR PRRI and it's clean sparkle. I would love to have a PRRI
with a P10Q also for cleans with a little more warmth. They are both great alnico speakers. Just depends what flavor you like.

Seems you like Chocolate (Fudge Brownie). ;)
Thanks, that's good to know! I'm reading good things about these Alnico Jensens, but there are naysayers too... Wish I could try the amp in person, but you're definitely confirming my hunch that the Alnicos are sweeter than the C10R.

And hell, who doesn't like chocolate? :D

Creepwood

I recommend this one specifically :)

Cannabis Rex 12" Speaker, vintage looks. Smooth fender cleans, sounds great with dirt as well. Amazing little amp and I am very pleased with it.
Never liked 10 inch speakers in them. Both I have owned have had 12 inch speakers. Wasnt a fan of the Jensen speakers, still a little too shrill with a 12.
Love this little amp, small little pedal board with it and I am set. Perfect for home/apt use or for small gigs.

I got it here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

That Tweed PRRI looks really cool, but I don't think the Cannabis Rex version ever made it over here to Europe, only a version with the Jensen P10Q :)!

swiveltung

The P10Q will be very bright and crisp. Until you really crank it, overdrive it and it's loud. Not what you are looking for.

Creepwood

The P10Q will be very bright and crisp. Until you really crank it, overdrive it and it's loud. Not what you are looking for.
Seriously? I'd assumed it would be a tad warmer, 'rounder' as it were, than the C10R in the stock PRRI. Maybe the Blue is the solution; it did sound sweet when I tried it. Man, I have to find some way to test drive that "Fudge Brownie" PR.

Rhythm Rocker

Seriously? I'd assumed it would be a tad warmer, 'rounder' as it were, than the C10R in the stock PRRI. Maybe the Blue is the solution; it did sound sweet when I tried it. Man, I have to find some way to test drive that "Fudge Brownie" PR.
OP, it is a tad warmer , in my opinion. As is the Jensen 12" P12Q alnico. You are going to get a different response,
opinion and speaker choice from just about every one that posts. Try out the amp if you can.

Your ears are really the deciding factor. You can always change speakers. So you have to decide if you
want a 10" speaker or a 12" and see what is available to you. The speaker will need to be broken in also.

Happy hunting!

Creepwood

OP, it is a tad warmer , in my opinion. As is the Jensen 12" P12Q alnico. You are going to get a different response,
opinion and speaker choice from just about every one that posts. Try out the amp if you can.

Your ears are really the deciding factor. You can always change speakers. So you have to decide if you
want a 10" speaker or a 12" and see what is available to you. The speaker will need to be broken in also.

Happy hunting!
You're absolutely right. I was dead set on the "Navy Blues" FSR a few months ago, but actually liked the punch of the regular 10" speaker better - might have gotten the stock PRRI if it hadn't sounded so strident. Still think the Alnico 10" Princeton might be the solution and will try to find a way to test it :)

Vibroluxman

The jensens take forever to break in. Until then they're bright. The weber versions tend to be less shrill off the bat.

Spoonful

I really don't like the Princeton with a 12" speaker. Just doesn't sound like a Princeton anymore.

I just picked up my second PRRI with the thought of modding it a bit. The thing that struck me right away was how good my old one sounds compared to the new one. As others have pointed out, Jensen C10R takes some time to break in. I love the way it sounds once it has.

Creepwood

I really don't like the Princeton with a 12" speaker. Just doesn't sound like a Princeton anymore.

I just picked up my second PRRI with the thought of modding it a bit. The thing that struck me right away was how good my old one sounds compared to the new one. As others have pointed out, Jensen C10R takes some time to break in. I love the way it sounds once it has.
This echoes my impressions - I'd read everywhere that the 12" Princeton varieties were superior, but when I actually compared the stock PRRI with the blue one I thought the 10" speaker sounded better, tighter somewhat, I don't know...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom