Princeton (non reverb) Clean Machine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Top Geezer, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

I just received my Princeton last night from the UPS....I love that feeling of coming home from a hard day at work to find a BIG BOX....ripping it open and pulling out a lovely pre CBS Princeton, ahhh..the smell these old amps have can't be beat...love it. Anyway, she fired up and plays like a dream, I know when somethings good when I start coming out w/ new licks and phrases I had not yet done before...always a good sign of being inspired by my new tone. She sounds big, warm and piano'y like a clean fender should and she sounds bigger as I get to 10, but no break up, I was warned that the non verb had no break up, I do miss a slight tube break up...my old deluxe at 4 really starts to break up nicely, where you have the strat vol on 8 and she's clean, go to 10 and she slighly crunchy.

Question:
    What mods would you recommend to get her to slighlty break up with some hair?

She has a 60W G10 Vintage celestion, would a 25W speaker give me speaker breakup?

PaulC mod of Stoke mod work?

Adding an OD pedal? Recommend one?

Any advice would be great....cheers - Damon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

They simply don't break up because they have one less tube stage. It's the biggest complaint most people have with it, unless that's what they specifically want. Not much you can do without invasive circuit mods (and no, the PC or Stokes will not help you anyway). Best bet is just a pedal; Tim, Zen, or Klon being good choices.

3. Strat

Strat Member

I have a PR with Paul C and Stokes with some unknown speaker and a non-R, both BF, and like the non-R with a FD II better actually.

4. LowellH

LowellH Supporting Member

Try a low power AlNiCo speaker. I wouldn't modify the circuit, since the amp seems to be in good condition. A boost or overdrive will also give you what you're looking for.

5. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

Strat - interesting - what do you like better about it, more headroom or just a better tone overall? I got the Princeton non verb cause a lot of peeps liked the tone better than the PR.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a 1965 model that is extremely similar looking.I recommend a pedal combination of Tone Press>TS 808>Zendrive:that's what works for me.An SA10M Scumback is the speaker that Scumbag recommended-it works well.No mods to this one-it would be a mistake.No wait-get the 4 stage filter cap checked,and see if all the voltages are within tolerance.btw,nice amp.

7. Strat

Strat Member

rounder more piano like sound, PRs are kinda papery sounding to me

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 I would go with a Eminence 1028K. There a few on the bay right now. Great speaker for that amp.

9. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

Thanks for the info. I'll look into a new speaker. I've been playing her tonight with my OCD and TS-808 (keely mod+) and getting some lovely tones out her her. If I need some crunch, I'll just hit a pedal. Cheers - Damon

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

nice pickup, she's mighty purty!

i love my '65 Princeton NR! that tremolo is to DIE for.

congrats!

cheers,
    wade

11. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I have a 64 non-verb & love it. Dont mod it.......as mentioned use a pedal for some grind. the Timmy works great because of its flexibilty. Try that amp with a good clean boost & it smokes!!:BEER

12. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

Jeff - any you could recommend? I have a Beano boost, but thought it might be too bright - I was thinking the Fulltone Fat Boost II, I had the old one and really liked it. I also have an OCD and TS-808 which can yeild nice boosts w/ the drive turned down. How do these amp's take fuzz pedals? Seems as though fuzz pedals like to be hit w/ a slight tube breakup - this baby is clean all the way up the dial.

Wade - yeah - I love the look of these old amps, and the smell of them! yes, the tremolo is amazing, I can kick my flip tremolo off my pedal board now...more room for somthing else. :AOK

13. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Fender Electric Instrument era Princeton? Don't mod it!

Get a pedal/new speaker! Sweet amp.

14. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

What do people think about a Jensen P10R for a Princeton?

15. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Try a Barber Direct Drive or a Zendrive. Excellent range of overdrive that work wonderfully with this amp.

16. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Junky speaker. Go for the P12Q or Eminence makes a better sounding AlNico 10. I think it's the 1022K.

Tone Tubbys sound great in Princetons too.

17. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I own a 70s SF PR and I love it, but most people told me NOT to get the NON-Verb model.

I played a 65 non-verb and I didn't quite like it. Are they really as pretty, clean, "big", and piano-like as some of the posters mention?

HMMMM Intriguing

18. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have a '71 non-verb Princeton and a '68 blackline PR. Both are great amps but the non-verb Princeton has a huge clean sound with the Stokes mod and JJ's in it. If the gig calls for cleans, I take the '71. It likes pedals but can get a little farty if really pushed.

Nice amp you got there!

19. sliberty

sliberty Member

I just built one of these, and had the same reaction - no breakup - WTF? I had been playing it with my Tele, and it was clean all the way to 10. Then, I tried it with my LP Custom, and a variety of booster type pedals, and holy crap, its a whole different story. Lots of crunch and cream. My favorite so far is my own Llama Roja pedal, but others worked well too.

My amp doesn't have trem, so I have a spare triode to play around with. I might put it into the circuit like the additional gain stage in a PR amnd see how that works out. If you wanted to ditch your trem, that would be an option for you as well.

20. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I use a Bad Bob clean boost & like it real well....It will really bring that Princeton to life & make it gigable. It will still stay clean unless you really crank the clean boost up. I really like the Eminence Rajun Cajun in mine. Its a very big & warm sounding speaker. I play tele 90% of the time & this amp is great for a fat, warm, round sound, especially with the efficient speaker. The fat boost would be a good match as well....enjoy!