Princeton Recording amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wayne, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

This new amp looks like fun.

[​IMG]

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

Here's a quick run down of the specs:

All tube preamp, power amp, and Reverb circuitry based on classic 1965 Princeton Reverb, with 20Watts into a 10" Jensen C-10R speaker. It has a Trans-Impedance Power Attenuator that allows players to crank up the amp for full output tube overdrive, then set the volume of the speaker as low as desired—even silent for headphone use.

Additional features include: Two "stomp box" effects, which can be completely disengaged from the signal path as desired (3-knob Overdrive, based on traditional stomp box tones, and a 2-knob Compressor, based on classic recording-friendly units); Genuine tube-driven Fender spring Reverb by Accutronics; Headphone output; Speaker Emulated Line Output with Level control and Ground Lift; Speaker Output jack (internal speaker may be disconnected for use with other 8 Ohm enclosures); Professional FX loop; and an included 4-button footswitch.

The MSRP is $1,428 so figure you can buy it for a grand or less. With all the features, it has to use a PCB but all-in-all, a pretty handy little package. Too bad they canned the tremolo. The compressor surprises me a bit. I would've thought a delay would be more popular.

What do you think? Would you sell a real PR for this amp? I've got a 1971 PR restored and tweaked to perfection with a Weber C10NQ 10" speaker, which I often supplement with a 12" Celestion Alnico Blue in a separate cab. It sounds great as is although I'll sometimes juice it with an OD pedal. I'm not selling mine but I really like the feature set on this Princeton Recording amp.

Did anyone get a chance to try it out at NAMM and/or find any soundclips?

Wayne

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Member

Yeah, It's been talked about a few times on here. I think it's going to be pretty neat. Except for the price. I'd really like to try one out though.

3. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

That looks very, very interesting.

I've been looking for a small amp to be apartment friendly for direct recording and good enough for a grab and go Jam or Duo gig. I've been considering everything from Nanos to Univalves to various small combos but they all fulfill some but not all of the criteria. I'd pretty much resigned myself to having to buy more than one thing.

Personally I'd prefer it be without the built-in stompbox effects and be a little cheaper. They seem a little redundant to me, especially overdrive given the built-in attenuation.

4. Capn Spanky

Capn Spanky Member

This is the kind of thing I've been waiting/looking for. Come on people, we need some reviews!

5. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

If the compressor and overdrive sound like units I would use, (and were true bypass) and it could sound like a good, runnin' hot BFPR either cranked, or accompaning me while singing the baby to sleep, then yeah, $1200 street would be great.. More features (knobs, gizmos, hi-tech BS) equals more sh!t that breaks equalling more time in the shop. Big prob could be the "Trans Impedance Power Attenuator". Is this thing directly between the power tubes and speakers with no way of "bypassing" it??? Scarry.....
    BZT

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Google it and you'll see that $999 is street price. There's several places that's got 'em. I'll wait till they're used and pick one up for $650 which is about comfortable to me.

I'm gonna see if my locals has one..I'd trade/sell stuff to get this one.

7. onemind

onemind Member

I bet most are like me and would like them to 'drop' the stomp box fx... and change the retail to 799.

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

9. Wayne

Wayne Member

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the video and the sounds of the amp. Features look pretty handy. Speaking of pretty, I went back and watched the first 5 seconds of the video 20 times . . . . :AOK

Wayne

10. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

seriously sounds really good. i'm impressed.

11. karmadave

karmadave Member

Cool vid! Looks like a great amp. I especially like the attenuator. Can immediately see how this would be useful for the home.

I already own a BF Princeton Reverb and this would be a great compliment to it. Right on Fender!

-KD

12. 1964

1964 Member

It must be only very loosely based on the Bf Princeton Reverb, as it puts out more power, has a different overall tube complement, and has a solid-state rectifier. No tremolo either.

IMO, it should be 15 lbs lighter to appeal to session guitarists. At 3lbs heavier than a 65DRRI, they obviously expect it to sit in a studio, rather than carted to one.

And as others have said, I'm not sure if the in-built effects are that appealing either.

I know the originals, even sf versions, are in high demand and have become expensive. There’s lots of apparent demand for a reissue, but this isn’t one. And it's rather expensive, IMO.

I’m even somewhat surprised at the choice of name because they have a solid-state Princeton, and I think the cosmetics of this amp suggests solid-state, so I’m sure most will think it a variant of the long-established solid-state model.

That said; I find this one of the more interesting production amps to have been introduced. If it was cheaper (and lighter), I'd be quite interested.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've never cared for any amp with built-in effects. I wish they'd just add the Princeton Reverb to the reissue line and be done with it.

14. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I agree, but Fender does what pays. That being said I still think it's an interesting amp. Remember they're trying to attract the absolute biggest target market and we vintage lovers aren't it..

I'd like to try one out before passing judgement on it's merits and tone.

15. poolah

poolah Member

I love the fx loop, it's amazing to me how few amps offer this. Everything else is an "if"

* If it sounds like a Princeton
    * If the reverb sounds good--sounded weired on the video, but you can't tell much from that
    * If the fx sound good
    * If the attenuator doesn't deaden the sound of the amp

THEN, it'll be a winner. I'm interested enough to try one out with my guitars.

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

The demo vid was good. If the production amps sound as good it will be a winner. Im optomistic, and will more than likely purchase one.

I think that the market for this amp is a small one.

17. mbratch

mbratch Member

I would probably miss the tremolo ("vibrato") but it seems to be a nice amp nonetheless. :)

18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

If that thing were to street at $599, I'd buy one tomorrow.

$1k is a lot of cheese for what seems to be a PCB amp at 15 watts from Fender. The Blues Deluxe is $449, right? Well, you've got a simpler circuit with 6V6's, add on the attenuator and effects, it should still be less that $700.

I actually liked the compressor and the overdrive did sound cool (if it's a TS circuit, which I'd have to believe it is). And the attenuator seemed not to kill the highs, which is also cool.

I think I found the amp to satisfy my Fender bug...but probably not for a year or two until they hit the used market at my prices. I predict this will be a low-seller for Fender.

19. 1964

1964 Member

20 watts

20. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I agree I think this will be a low seller except for the few that need that tone at low volumes..

Also, I was wondering where will it be made?? USA or Mexico or Orient??