Princeton Reverb 2

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Burjor, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Burjor

Burjor Member

I have a 82 Princeton Reverb 2. Can anyone tell me if this amp was point to point wiring, or does in have a PC board?

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

rivera era amps were P2P, so I've heard on TGP.

3. Burjor

Burjor Member

Thanks, I do not have a tech background and I am too nervous to take the thing apart and look myself.

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

You can find spec's on the amp at http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

I believe most Fender tube amps, up until 1985-6 were PTP. Fender started going to PCB's after the company was sold to a group of investors that currently owns the company.

I've heard good things about the Rivera-era Fender amps, but never owned one. Finally, my advice is take it to a qualified technician. Amplifiers contain high enough voltages to kill you!

-KD

5. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb II which is a Rivera Era amp as well. All of the Rivera Era amps were Point to Point. Check out this website
    http://geocities.com/princerev2/
    The guy has a lot of info on the Princeton Reverb II

6. Burjor

Burjor Member

I want to thank everyone who have replied. I now know a little bit more about my amp. I bought the amp new back in 82 or 83. I have gone through many, many amps in the last 23 years, but I have never been able to let go of my Princeton reverb 2. It always felt like there was something mystical about it, even when I did'nt know there was a difference between solid state and tube, P2P and PC board. It is now clear why I am so enamoured with the amp.

7. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

You *now* know you're enamoured of the amp because you found out its point-to-point wired? What if you opened it up & found it to be all PCB? What then?

I think you like the amp because it has consistently sounded good to you & inspired you to play.

I'm just sayin'...

8. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

I think the dude meant he now knows why the thing sounds good (and therefore he is enamored with it). He has discovered that it is a P2P amp, which is perceived by many to be superior to, and cause amps to sound better than, printed board amps.

If he had opened it and found a printed board, he probably would have either died from shame on the spot, or flung the thing into the sea, never to be seen again, and spent the next 40 years going through dozens of mega-expensive boutique amps trying to recapture that Princeton 2 sound of his youth.

9. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

If you want to be technical, I believe the Princeton II (as well as all vintage fenders except VERY early tweeds) are actually "circuit card" construction, not true PTP/P2P/P-T-P. True Point-to-point is anything where passive components attach either directly to eachother or terminal strips and use as little wire as possible. Examples are vintage Gibsons, Matchless, Bad Cat, etc.

I believe O'Connor details this in one of his books.