• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Princeton Reverb AA1164 Kits

joevacc

Hi all,

I have a bit of Princeton GAS and I am thinking I should build one myself.

The MojoTone kit is top of list at the moment. I am looking for your words of wisdom and experience with not only the kit, but the circuit as well.

My take on the Mojo kit is that they use Heyboer transformers and the smalls components look to be pretty good. The chassis looks fine too.

Also, I am able to order the kit without tubes, speaker and cabinet which is perfect; I have all of that covered.

What do you guys think of the Mojo kit? Has anyone built one and can impart first hand experience?
Is there a kit out there that you would recommend over the Mojo kit?

Thank you,

Last edited:

swiveltung

I like the Mojo kits in general. Trying to remember though... does their kit have that thick steel heavy faceplate? That may be the only thing I don't like. Allen kits are good too. I think Allen has a "fat stack" power transformer, if you ever wanted to go to 6L6's later that would be a nice upgrade.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Mojo cabinetry and chassis are good. Have heard there are some bugs in their instructions, but they have active user forums to help.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Do you have the wherewithal to build one yourself, without a kit's instructions? If so, then these chassis kits are the best for looks and quality:
http://www.solandfa.com/products-Princeton-Reverb-Chassis-Kit.asp

I have built a bunch of his chassis, and have always been pleased. One caveat, I find the eyelets he uses in the fiberboards to be a bit hard to 'wet' with solder, so I pull them all and replace them with new Keystone ones: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/45/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtzcnMBgC2bs6gC270mlsjA53RoQOYDNzw=

The chassis doesn't look too bad:

View media item 48884

Michael Hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have the wherewithal to build one yourself, without a kit's instructions? If so, then these chassis kits are the best for looks and quality:

I have built a bunch of his chassis, and have always been pleased. One caveat, I find the eyelets he uses in the fiberboards to be a bit hard to 'wet' with solder, so I pull them all and replace them with new Keystone ones: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/45/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtzcnMBgC2bs6gC270mlsjA53RoQOYDNzw=

View media item 48884
I'd agree with you on looks. Quality? Well...I wasn't overly pleased with the Bassman chassis I bought; there were quite a few screw holes that were improperly aligned that required re-drilling or enlarging to make them work. Not sure I'd go that route again if I were to do another scratch build.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I've built his Princeton Reverb (two), Vibrolux Reverb, Vibroverb (two), and Deluxe Reverb chassis. I don't recall having to do anything too extraordinary in the way of additional drilling. Which holes gave you trouble on the Bman? Do you use 4-40 hardware to mount the sockets?

bob-i

I'm with you on the Princeton reverb, my build is an amazing sounding amp. I only changed 2 things on the amp. 1) I added a mid control. Since I didn't use a fender faceplate I just drilled another hole. 2) I added a bright switch. I used an Allen chassis which had a slot for a bright switch so I added it in using a smaller than normal cap, can't remember the value. I find that for hums it tightens up the bottom end as much as adds sparkle. Since I typically don't crank it over about 4 it really helps. I turn it off for SCs.

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
The Mojo kit is good,. (I've built two of them.) About that thick faceplate . . . it looks fine, though it needs a logo. Also, with that faceplate (and the rear plate, too), you need to buy different 1/4-inch jacks, with a longer threaded section, if you want to put a star washer on.

joevacc

I do have the wherewithal but I really don't think I can save any money...
The time it takes to source everything is another consideration. I have found some good lists online and know where to get everything...

The kits are appealing though because everything will just show up here.

I have given the Allen kits great consideration. They are too cool. The Brown Sugar looks like an holy grail bit of gear! They are kinda out of my price range right now... I thought about the 6L6 option but I decided that I would not take that route because I have the Vibrolux. Everything about the Allen stuff is cool but with one kid in college and a second headed there I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

wyatt

Short answer to the original question is all the components are quality, reliable parts in the Mojo kit, and their Heyboer Fender transformer are great.

Know that Mojo and Weber aren't DIY kits as much as they are a filled bill of materials with schematic and layout, no instructions or support is offered. That's fine if you know the ins and outs of how an amp is wired up and why. But Marsh Amps includes an instruction book with his version of the Mojo kit. Allen supplies instructions and has a generous amount of tech support built into the price.

Also, know that the Fender reverb combos are relatively complex builds that need some attention to detail to stay quiet, because of their reverb layouts. Back when Weber had a difficulty meter, the 6A14 (Princeton Reverb) was rated..

tele_player

Short answer to the original question is all the components are quality, reliable parts in the Mojo kit, and their Heyboer Fender transformer are great.

Know that Mojo and Weber aren't DIY kits as much as they are a filled bill of materials with schematic and layout, no instructions or support is offered. That's fine if you know the ins and outs of how an amp is wired up and why. But Marsh Amps includes an instruction book with his version of the Mojo kit. Allen supplies instructions and has a generous amount of tech support built into the price.

Also, know that the Fender reverb combos are relatively complex builds that need some attention to detail to stay quiet, because of their reverb layouts. Back when Weber had a difficulty meter, the 6A14 (Princeton Reverb) was rated..
Note: Allen's Princeton Reverb derived amp is the Sweet Spot, and it doesn't come with Allen's usual detailed instructions. Just layout, schematic, and a link to some assembly hints.

With its bigger transformers and phase inverter mods, it doesn't sound quite like a PR, either.

swiveltung

The Mojo kit is good,. (I've built two of them.) About that thick faceplate . . . it looks fine, though it needs a logo. Also, with that faceplate (and the rear plate, too), you need to buy different 1/4-inch jacks, with a longer threaded section, if you want to put a star washer on.
Yep, that was my point in the post about it, although I didn't mention it unfortunately!

wyatt

Note: Allen's Princeton Reverb derived amp is the Sweet Spot, and it doesn't come with Allen's usual detailed instructions. Just layout, schematic, and a link to some assembly hints.

With its bigger transformers and phase inverter mods, it doesn't sound quite like a PR, either.
Ah, true. I can't believe he's added Chihuahua And LF to full kits before never the Sweet Spot.

As for the tone, I think Allen's have been more "neo"-blackface, like a tricked out BF Fender.

tele_player

Yes, Allens all 'improve' on the Fender designs. I've had three of them, still have one of the first Accomplice kits, and a Sweet Spot. My real Fenders sound better, but seldom leave my house.

joevacc

Interesting,

Has anyone tried the Weber 6A14 Amp Kit? I am trying to figure out what transformers are in their kits?

Last edited:

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
The Weber kit will come with Weber (made in China) transformers, unless you specify otherwise. If you are asking specifically which ones are included, the schematic has the part numbers, and you can look up their individual specs on the Weber site as well. I do not like the stainless steel chassis Weber offers. Hard to drill (and you WILL be drilling it), plus the IEC power inlet/outlets supplied with the kit are terrible.

I have pix of a 6A14 and a 6A14HP that I rebuilt for a couple of guys who ran into trouble on their builds, if it would be of any help in your decision making.

swiveltung

I've built with Weber's. One cool thing is their Power Transformers come with two voltage windings. One wire for modern voltage and the other wire to make up for modern voltage more like the voltage a vintage amp would have seen.
Chassis are pretty good, some though have gone to SS chassis and I don't prefer that... not sure if that is just the tweed styles or the BF styles also. You cant really solder to SS well. I prefer the Mojo chassis.
Weber used to have some iffy components like input jacks etc, but I think they have fixed all that.... learning curve. I will use nothing but Switchcraft. I got a Weber kit once and the Chinese jacks were such soft steel that after you plugged a cord in a few times they quit contacting! They need to be spring steel.

You might check out Marsh Amp Kits. They have some nice stuff and are one source I can rely upon for good, true to original, push back wire that doesn't fray etc. Easy to contact and work with too!

SBax

View media item 48884
Beautiful wiring. Looks amazing. Where did you get those blue Fender caps from?

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Where did you get those blue Fender caps from?
Those Ajax caps were the last scrapings from the bottom of my junk drawer; I'd been saving them over the years. A friend gave me a parts board from a BF Bassman that had most of what I needed, too. They do show up on eBay, but they are usually obscenely expensive for what they are. I've been pretty happy with those blue Sozos in this application as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom