Princeton Reverb comparison thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidespinosa, Mar 14, 2015.

1. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Several people have asked about SFPR vs BFPR vs Headstrong vs Gries vs Allen vs Vintage Sound vs Clark vs Louis vs Tyler vs Marsh vs Magic vs Mojotone, etc.

Have you:

* Owned two or more Princeton Reverbs or clones?

* If so, which one did you prefer?

* Which speaker was in each?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Subscribed!
    I only have an amp that was built from Weber HIgh Powere Princeton Kit. I couldn't comment on comparison with others. Interested to see what other people say.

3. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

That's what I think -- very few people have had two or more.

4. spayne99

spayne99 Member

I can compare a PRRI to a Vintage Sound clone.

PRRI with a stock 10" Jensen. It's got a really nice sound. I remember when I got it, I was blown away by the sound. It was an upgrade from a Pro Jr. The notes hang in the air, that 3D thing. It's downsides... treble is always a bit harsh, there's extra noise and hiss in the tremolo and reverb, the speaker doesn't sound good turned up loud but sounds real nice for low volume clean. I hate the removable power cord.

The Vintage Sound has a 12" WGS 12c/s. There are extra knobs for mids and reverb dwell. The cab is solid pine vs. the PRRI's ply. The baffle I think is ply vs. the PRRI's MDF. The handwired board is a marvel to look at, it's obvious that a lot of love and care was involved in the wiring and soldering. The parts on the board are a step up from PRRI. The transformers are hand wound. Everything is better, and there's no extra noise in the amp.

Both amps sound like Princeton Reverbs. The clone is warmer and has better reverb and tremolo. I was never unhappy with the PRRI's sound but the clone sounds better... Only word I can think of right now is 'juicy!' like a ripe grape, haha.

5. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

I had '79 Princeton Reverb with a Ragin Cajun and a Vintage Sound 15 with a WGS 12c/s.

I still have the VS. More headroom, adjustable mids, dwell knob, better trem, tighter low end, etc.

Of course, the late seventies princeton's are not highly regarded, but still better than a reissue in my opinion.

6. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I've owned two early 70 PR's, a VS 15 and a VS 20. I couldn't sell the VS amps fast enough. Maybe it was the terrible WGS speaker they put in those amps, but they both sounded like crap to me. The PR's (I still have one) both sounded much better.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I've owned a few original blackface and silverface ones, a PRRI, a Clark Kanee and a Vintage Sound 15 and 20.

They all sound just a little different, just like vintage ones. The PRRI sounds really good with better tubes and is a great version for the money if you buy used, about $650. If you can find a good sounding silverface for around $1000 I recommend going with it. The Clark and VS sound good too and the VS has a Mid control which makes it more versatile but they are expensive, so buy them used. They all can be made to sound great so it really depends on how much you want to spend.

8. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

I have never heard anyone say those amps sounded like crap.

Unadan likes this.
  9. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

A huge part of the equation is which speaker is in the amp.

For example, I like the Weber alnico Blue Pup in one of my SFPR's as it fills out the mids a bit more than the Weber 10a125a in another SFPR which seems a bit too mid-scooped.

The Princeton Reverb II is also worth checking out. It's different but it still sounds like a Fender 6V6 amp and the additional Mid and Presence controls add EQ flexibility.

-bEn r.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had BF, SF, Clones and 6L6 Turbo Clones. Unfortunately not all at the same time. As far as comparing 6V6 versions, not sure you'll hear much difference unless they are built to a different design. Is that what you're asking, about design differences?
    As mentioned, speaker makes a huge difference. Also filter cap size tweaking and bigger output transformer size can make a big difference.

11. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

What tonal contribution does a bigger OT make?

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

More headroom mainly. A bit more bass response the bigger you go.