Princeton Reverb Dilema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clothwiring, Jul 16, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

So last night I gigged with my 1965 Princeton Reverb with a FD II 10th in front of it and it sounded phenominal (smaller bar, couldn't blast the Matchless). Now the dilema... I'm thinking of maybe getting a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI and get it converted to blackface specs (rip the guts out and redo the whole thing). I do not want to be taking my old BF Princeton Reverb to many gigs because of it's value (and tone that I'd rather use in the studio).

What would be other/better options if I'm to shoot for a Deluxe Reverb that is BFish? I am open to any and all options at this point. Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Silver face DR is the way to go. To convert a DRRI to point to point, the cost of the board is about $250, cost of labor is about $200+ if you find VERY cheap labor (likely, someone who does amps as a sideline and doesn't pay income tax). So now you're at or over $1000.

SFDR, probably $600 to $800, blackface mods and cap job (if required) about $200. This will appreciate in value. The DRRI, no matter what you do to it, will decline in value.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I went this route. I picked up a very beat up 72' DR at GC for $425. I then spent another $300 for new Blackface exterior and circuit, and new tubes.The amp looks just like a RI but sounds like a vintage amp. I really agree with Blue Strat in getting the SFDR. Here's a pick of my 72'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Just use the Princeton, mate.

5. Tapp

Tapp Member

Make sure that you like the sound of the Deluxe Rev; it's a different circuit from the Princeton. I would find a SF Princeton Rev, get an upsized cab to hold a 12" speaker, do a few mods to give it a bit more headroom and never look back.

Tapp

6. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+1

If you can find an early silverface (late 67 - mid 68) you don't have to mess with a thing. They are identical to a 67 BFDR under the hood. Early SFDR's sound killer... as do later ones with a few tweaks..

Good luck!

<M

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

This is possible too. Allen Amplification sells a taller Princeton cab that will hold a 12" speaker. You can upgrade the OT to an Allen which will give you more headroom. Also check into Stokes and Paul C mods for more headroom.

You won't get as much added headroom as a Deluxe though.

You will get VERY close if you have the Princeton Phase inverter converted to a "long tail" type, by stealing half of V4 from the tremolo circuit (you lose tremolo).

8. clothwiring

No way, I could never forgive myself if I blew the amp up. Great suggestions so far guys. What about other companies that are making DR type circuits?

I almost got a 1964 Deluxe Reverb. The guy sold it without letting me know. That thing sounded great.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Allen Amplification has a Deluxe Reverb type amp (and others). VERY high quality and great tone.

10. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I recommend the Allen Sweetspot or Accomplice. The Sweetspot is princeton based, with more power/features. The Accomplice is Deluxe based. Both amps have the option of using either 6v6 or 6l6 (for more power) tubes.

11. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've had several DR, both BF and SF. The best sounding one of the bunch by far was a SF. I wouldn't sweat the BF thing unless you're concerned about a mor collectable investment.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

First off, I wouldn't worry too much about using the PR if it is the right size for the gig. You can use that same studio tone live if you want! Life's too short to settle on tone just to keep your amp locked up at home. Just MHO...

Second, I've found that gigs that need more headroom than a PR can provide, will also likely need more than a DR can provide. They are not terribly different in that regard, especially with a well tuned PR and efficient speaker. I'd suggest that you make the jump to a VR. A SF should be almost as affordable as a SFDR. You'll definately get the headroom and you'll also maintain the 10" speaker tone that is part of the PR sound. (I'm also assuming you've considered the mic'ing option for the PR.)

13. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I agree. Amps are meant to be played. Guitars are meant to be played. If it sounds how you like, why search for something else? If you are that concerned about it getting stolen or damaged , get it insured. The ones that really command top dollar are the ones that are mint and all original. Life's too short to worry about blowing up an amp. It's just an amp.

14. clothwiring

If I'm doing larger gigs I take my Matchless Cheiftain. Maybe I'll get a SFPR. Hmm....

15. clothwiring

Outside of the speaker swap (and changed tubes) my BF Princeton is all original (I still have the original speaker which needs a recone). The amp came with all old tubes (Mullard, GE, Phillips, and a few others) in it as well and I still have them saved and marked. I think maybe I'll pickup a SFPR later on and just run the BF for the rest of the small gigs this summer (about 2 or 3 I think it'll turn out to be).

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Check out a Tone King Imperial. Deluxe reverb on steroids and a pretty good lead channel. I really like mine a lot.

17. clothwiring

Have any clips fo the Imperial?

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

If you like your matchless why don't you try a Lightning?
    My Lightning smokes any deluxe I have played. It can be clean at a decetly loud volume and cranked sound great. I even play my Jazz guitar through it sometimes. I have a 65 Princeton too (as well as other, bigger fenders) but it does not provide a quarter of the volume and it lacks the punch of the lightning. The lightnings Master volume really works.

I love deluxe reverbs too but if you already have one try somthing else.

19. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I second the recommendation on the Allen Amps Sweet Spot (Princeton Reverb) or Accomplice (Deluxe Reverb). I have an Allen Brown Sugar, and had David Allen rebuild the front end of my 72 Vibrolux Reverb. The man knows Fender Blackface amps and does beautiful work. I wouldn't hesitate to replace one of my blackface or silverface amps with one of Allen's originals. They really sound that good IMO.

20. Lution

Lution Member