Princeton Reverb-esque amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sam801, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Sam801

Sam801 Member

I played a Silverface Princeton Reverb at my bandmate's studio recently. Toggling a Vintage Rat for clean/od. It sounded good through the 10" speaker. But when I disconnected the internal speaker and ran it through an oversized and ported Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Texas Heats, I was pretty sold.

So before I go out and buy a Silverface Princeton Reverb can any of you school me on some things?

1. The differences in era's? Any years to dodge? Sonic differences between BF/SF? Reissues far from the mark?

2. Other brands with similar amps? I don't wanna pay more than the real thing is worth...

3. Similar sounding but higher wattage amps from Fender or other builders? At practice I had to have the PR dimed. Those 15 little watts sounded glorious. But I've never seriously dabbled in amps lower than 30w before. Something in the 30-100w range would really interest me.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

call Rick from Vintage Sound Amps.

3. staxman

staxman Member

I've used a Headstrong Lil' King for four years. It's easily as good as an older Princeton. It comes with a very high efficiency 12" (Emi Legend GB128) so it effectively has more volume than it's 14 watts would suggest; at least when compared to the vintage stuff. Headstrong also makes a 23 watt version of the Lil King too. Haven't tried it but it gets great reviews.

4. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

There must be lots of clones and variations of the PR. Allen Amplification "Sweet Spot" model looks like a good one:

http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.php

Not an exact clone, but an enhanced version. Also, costs more than a used silverface Princeton Reverb. Non-reverb Princetons are nice too. I just saw a 1969 SF Princeton at my local GC priced at $750.

I have a Princeton Reverb Reissue. I got it on sale and am happy with it relative to what I paid for it. I don't think I would want to pay the usual street price of $900 for it. That said, with a Weber alnico speaker (10A125) I like it a lot.

5. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I heard great things about all of the above amps, I have a Lil Dawg "Wonderdawg" - in a PR chassis and a 1x12 cab, close to a Super Reverb tone stack. I just put all new NOS tubes in it. Yummy! I use a Tone Tubby alnico, it can get pretty loud for 12 watts!

http://www.littledawgamps.com/blackface_home.php

- D

monkmiles likes this.
  6. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I have a '76 Princeton Reverb. I also have a Mesa 5:25 1x10, which, dialed properly, can actually get pretty close. I'm sure there are other small-ish amps from boutique builders that come closer (and obviously the 5:25 wasn't designed to; I'm just sayin').

I haven't found an integrated reverb that I like better than the Princeton, however.

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

They had very few changes so almost any year is good BF to SF the last few years had a boost circut that is usless, my 78 has one but I never use it and the amp will go toe to toe with any other PR. I do suggest swaping the speaker. a 30-40 ctswill get flubby when pushed. And nice tubes are money wel spent