Princeton Reverb Experts?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FloridaSam, May 5, 2008.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I just picked up a 1979 Princeton Reverb (Pull boost is foot switchable).

1. Should the voulme taper on this thing? Mine went from off to loud pretty quick and starts breaking up around 3-4. I took out the crappy pre-amp tubes and there was an unlabled tube in the 12AT7 spot. I replaced that with a Mullard 12AT7 and replaced the 12ax7 and 7025 with Mullards as well. The amp sounds A LOT better with NOS tubes but still breaks up pretty early. The power tubes are new JJs.

2. Would swapping a 12AU7 in spot one, or other lesser gain tube tame it a bit or is there something wrong. The amp sounds pretty good to me and the reverb and tremolo both sound strong and good (as strong as a trem on a PR can be).

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

You want less breakup??? Check and see if it is biased properly. Also, I believe you can get hotter or colder JJ tubes that could make a difference. BUt try putting in a 12at7 in the 12ax7 slot,(number 1). If that doesn't do it for you try a 12au7. Don't let any chumps tell you your amp, with the push/pull is any lesser an amp than an early 70's. I have a push/pull and have been hard pressed to hear anythng better than mine.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The JJ power tubes do add more volume. They seem to be more of a 7591A than a true 6V6 in tone. Try the new Tung Sol 6V6. They sound more like a good old 6V6 and hold up quite well.

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Thanks guys. I used to own an old '74 PR about 15 years ago but my memory is cloudy :) I've read good things about the JJs and they seem to react more like 6L6 than my 6V6 amps. I have a ton of old RCA pulls so I think I'll try some lower gain preamps.

5. strat71

strat71 Member

Hi,
    :agree i rebuilt a 78 PR last year, and i also had problems since it started to overdrive at 3 on the volume pot...

i checked everything three times before i noticed that the volume pot was linear...

change it with a log pot and you'll overdrive at 7/8 on the volume pot... as all Fender should be... :rotflmao

look at this (sorry in French)
    http://tahitigtr.canalblog.com/archives/fender_princeton_reverb_1978/index.html

hope it'll help...
    Ben