Princeton Reverb for under $900?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Apr 26, 2016.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Suggestions? I played the 65 reissue and sounds good low but not so great turned up. The 68 custom was kind of dark. I like the idea of a newer build as I dont want to hassle with fixing an older one but I guess a solid vintage ia good too. For now looking for suggestions for newer amps.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Not much more and excellent, the Gries 12 Reverb.

Hand wired, made in USA actually better than original.

3. pickslide

I was looking at that but its $1300. There was one here for sale but the owner os holding onto it for now

4. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

1970s PR are all the same except that pull switch. Just don't the switch. Later 70s are less valued but they are same as early ones.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

There was a Gries in the emporium recently used for $895. Might still be there. That was going to be my suggestion as well. Another option would be to change the speaker in the PRRI 65. You might like another one cranked better.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

For $900 or less you will probably have to go with a silverface PR if you don't want a reissue. You can find used 65 PR reissues for around $700 and it really sounds good, just change the speaker if you don't like the Jensen C10R. I don't like the Custom 68 PR at all.

I don't know of a clone, even used for $900. I would spend a little more and get a used Vintage Sound Vintage 15 or 20. There's a nice blonde one in the Amp Emporium/Reverb for more $ but they are worth it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    LordByron likes this.
  7. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

From what I have heard, even the RI with a speaker swap doesn't behave like a real BF or SF.

The BF stays clean the longest, SF a little less, RI least of all.

That basically knocks the RI into a purely bedroom category for $900 list. Kind of ridiculous IMO. You can get a SF for that, and it may not be able to do a rock gig, but it will do way better than the RI would.

Even the BFs are not 100% up to the task of a rock gig. But at least they offer some of the best clean tones out there at lower volumes.

But if I'm gonna throw down that much for an amp ($1500-2500) I def want it to gig with. In which case the boutique versions out there start looking a lot more appealing.

The best I've heard is the Allen Sweet Spot. Same size and similar cleans as vintage BF, but with more headroom and more control over the EQ. Cool little amps. Maybe one of the best grab and go's out there?

8. starkd12

starkd12 Member

There's a small amp company called Frenzel. They might have something, I know for a fact they're very reasonably priced. I personally don't own one, but I've heard good things.

9. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

I don't understand "I can afford $900 but I can't afford $1300".

If you want to save money... don't buy an amp.

If you're gonna buy an amp, buy one that you really like.

If you don't like the amp, you're gonna sell it, and probably lose money -- on shipping if nothing else.

If you like the amp, you'll soon forget that it cost a couple hundred more.

10. Northerner

Northerner Member

Not

Figaro, Rhythm Rocker, burns and 2 others like this.
  11. FFTT

FFTT Member

A Gries 12 Reverb is built to last every bit as long as the originals, if not better with heavier duty garolite board and studio quiet operation.
    A $400.00 difference over a lifetime of use is well worth it.

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Exactly -

The BF breaks up before the SF will, and I haven't played a RI. A tube/speaker swap should help a reissue get closer to a SF sound with more clean headroom. I use Weber speakers and JJ tubes.

Rhythm Rocker and burns like this.
  13. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I had the PRRI for over a yr. and couldn't make it acceptable to gig. It did have a good clean sound. It only had 4 screws holding the speaker and had the same build quality of a Frontman 25. I sold it and got the Tweed Blues jr.. Its made better and gig able.

rummy likes this.
  14. mattymel

Ok then. Not experienced this at all with any BF I have played, which has been probably 10 or so. And I have a SF PR at my disposal. The SF is fine for practicing. But if I take it to any gig with drums, no cleans.

With most SF amps I've tried you get more brightness, not more headroom. That's the case with the SF vs BF PRs. If anything I hear more breakup.

Keep in mind any BF at a gig would need to have the bass turned almost all the way down past 3 on volume knob.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  15. SmokeyTone

SmokeyTone Member

Funny I saw this post. I was on the hunt for a while too. Deluxe was too big for my needs. Went with a 2015 Princeton Reverb Bordeaux edition. Oxblood tolex and wheat cloth. Only difference is it has a 12 inch stock speaker which gives it a warmer, fuller sound. Since then I have changed styles and will be selling it soon if you are interested. Stock, Mint condition, no issues. Played maybe 5-6 hours total only in my home. Probably post it up for sale this weekend. Shoot me a message if interested!

16. mattymel

Another option in the ballpark is a BF Princeton, nonverb. My buddy has one. Great sounding amp. More headroom than any other amp mentioned here besides the Allen suggestion.

17. captwillard

captwillard Member

I would say, buy what you can actually go into a store and demo.

18. pickslide

If you dont understand that $400 is a lot of money for some people then I cant help you there. Why dont I just pay $1500 or $1800? What I can say is that your post adds no value to this thread because I specifically asked about amps in a certain price range. Your answer of just spend more doesnt really do me much good now does it?

teveinsene and rummy like this.
  19. mattymel

It's gear page, man.

You ask for advice on any tube amp for under $900, what do you expect?

The RI list for $1k now and frankly they just aren't really worth half that IMO. The first thing you'll hear the day you get one is you have to switch the speaker (+$100). After you do that you'll still find it doesn't hold together.

I actually disagree that the 68' custom sounds dark. Darker than a real SF MAYBE. But I would consider that a good thing. Keep in mind also that the Princeton is probably the DARKEST circuit of all Fender amps.

When I heard it I enjoyed the mids I was hearing. Largely due to the Celestion. A much more gig worthy amp compared to the BF RI. Not really a PR sound, though one of the better sounding newer Fenders in my opinion. But yeah, I'd much rather have the 68' custom DR.

Real SF is a better value. Right around $1k. Sell it for what you paid when you find it won't do most gigs.

Considering you can get an amp that smokes both of those for a few hundred more, I'd say you are getting pretty good advice.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  20. FFTT

FFTT Member

If $400.00 is difficult, then surely $900.00 was too right?

I'm not suggesting you spend more frivolously, but because the money is so hard to earn, spend it on something
    built to last a lifetime.

eigentone and mattymel like this.