Princeton Reverb II

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Doc W, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Doc W

Doc W Member

What do folks think of these amps? It has more power than the normal PR and I wonder if it is a totally different amp.

2. Dodge

Dodge Guest

They're good amps - not a classic PR sound though by any means. It's a little more refined, a bit like a hi-fi blackface sound. The 12" speaker certainly helps, and the solid state rectifier keeps the low end nice and tight. You can get a lot of tonal variation with the pull mid boost and bright controls.

The overdrive channel is a joke though - sounds like fizzy Mesa Mark series preamp drive. Much better to push the clean channel.

Mine had the EV speaker with the aluminium dustcap which wasn't as bright as I thought it would be, but it was a tad hard and was VERY efficient. I wish I'd tried something like an Emi Cannabis Rex before i sold it - I might have still owned it now.

[​IMG]

3. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

I recently got one from a TGP member, and it's just perfect for my needs (rehearsal/small club work). It's definitely a different animal than the blackface or silverface era PRs, with more power (20w), bigger speaker (12"), and some of the "enhancements" that the last of the handwired Fenders were given. That said, I don't use any of the added features on this amp that typified the Rivera-era Fenders, like the lead channel or mid-boost - I run mine exclusively on the clean channel, and used in that fashion it is very much in the tradition of the classic Fender amp circuits. The extra power and bigger speaker push it a litle more toward BF Deluxe Reverb territory, though. Sounds great with pedals (I'm currently running a Zvex Box of Rock and a Catalinbread DLS for added dirt). For the price these seem to go for, I'd definitely recommend them over, say, a DRRI - unless you absolutely NEED amp tremolo. (I get my trem from a BYOC pedal). I'd been riding the amplifier merry-go-round for a while, and finally was able to stop once I got my PRII. Can't recommend it enough!

4. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Mine also is sporting an Eminence RWB at the moment, so I guess YMMV as far the stock speaker is concerned.

5. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

It was long time ago since I had a Fender Princeton blackface -- but I can tell you that I bought a PRII summer '08 and had it recapped, etc and its an amazing amp -- the amp tech tweaked its so that the OD was extraordinary and the cleans stellar -- a wonderful and often over looked amp -- oh yea, when I bought it came with a 65 watt Scumback that was a revelation as well -- nice match... JJ 6V6's yield over 22 watts so its very nice for smaller situations and energetic drummers ... its a keeper. fwiw:)