princeton reverb - question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Top Geezer, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

I'm interested in getting an old Fender S/F princeton reverb - should I stay away from the Master Vol. push / pull boost era? OR can they be modded to B/F specs and sound just as good. What year did the master vol. come in? When did they start glueing the baffolding?

Thanks for the input.

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

I played one in November and I wish I would have bought it. It was worked on by Landgraff....sounded great...papery-woody and I played it until I got shut down by the music store owner...haha...

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Obviously if you can afford a BF, or early SF sans the MV and pull boost, do so. But I'd certainly not write off any PTP Fender amp without at least trying it out. Some of those mid to late 70s amps really rock. Not sure about if it can be modded to get rid of the MV/pull boost, but I'd think it would be possible.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

the amp i played still had the pull boost and the good stuff happened when I engaged the boost...send it to Landgraff!

5. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I've got a 79' with the pull-boost. As long as you leave the switch in then it's essentially the same circuit. I did the Stokes mod and put in a Rajin Cajun and it sounds incredible.

I think they went to the fixed baffle around late 70/71. I have a 68' Non-reverb that I built a 12" baffle for. The two amps keep pace and compliment each other perfectly.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have two BF Princeton Reverbs, but I think if you just put the master all the way up and didn't use the boost, it would probably still be about the same. Both of mine have 12" speakers.

7. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

I have a '79 too, just leave the pull boost off and it's the same as the old circuit.

8. Wayne

Wayne Member

My 1971 has a fixed baffle.

Wayne

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Princetons were never made with master volume controls. The pull boost is harmless if you don't engage it. It can be easily modified to a mid boost or other feature.

The circuit changes from BF to SF pull boost are VERY minor and can be converted to virtual BF spec's (minus the rectifier change) with little effort. The stock SF PRs, in general, sound just fine.

10. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I have a 71 (fixed baffle).....with a Rajin Cajun 10".....bad ass little amp. Run a clean boost through it & you have one loud little amp.

11. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

Great - thanks for all your responses - wonderful wisdom around here. Currently have an old S/F Deluxe Reverb, which I love, but gets a little too loud for small gigs, I have a hotplate, but that sucks some tone. I use channel 1 (no tremlolo channel) and it has loads of bite with vol. at 3. I'm thinking the Princeton could give me the right vol. and break up for a small gig. Plus easy to carry around.

Thanks again - Damon