Princeton Reverb Speaker suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lammy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Lammy

Lammy Member

The blue label oxford is having a real slow bass response when the bass is turned up, so i am going to replace the speaker. Any suggestions? I kind of am into the early break up that the oxford has, something similiar? I have a jbl d110f that i have in my vibrolux i could always throw in if i wanted something a little tighter so would love some suggestions for the other end of the spectrum. Leaning towards a weber since i need to get a neomag from him anyway.

2. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have a Weber Alnico 10A125 in my Princeton Reverb reissue and I love it. (30 watts, no dope if you order one) This is Ted's recommended speaker for the Princeton Reverb.
    I have also tried the new Tone Tubby 25 watt San Rafael speaker, (save your money, VERY small sounding) the new Celestion G10 Vintage, (GREAT, if you're looking to add a bit of the "British" tone to Princeton reverb, not bad actually), and the Tone Tubby Ceramic 10. The TT Ceramic 10 is most likely my second favorite speaker (over the Weber 10A125) in the PR. Sounds GREAT. Very BIG sounding, almost 12" sounding. Takes away slightly from the 10 inch "magic" of a PR, but really adds a nice mid presence to the amp. Quite close between the Weber and the TT Ceramic, but for now the Weber is winning.

:)

3. mds

mds Member

Can I ask a side question that might contribute? What's a good replacement thats like the ceramic Jensen that was on some of the 60s Princetons? I've done a ton of recording with an old Princeton with that speaker and it kills...I'd love to know a good replacement thats like that speaker...

4. presence

presence Member

SuperReverb--if I understand correctly, you now prefer the Weber 10A125 over the TT 10" ceramic. Can you tell us why you prefer it?

Also, as I have been following your postings on the subject, in another thread you said that you preferred the TT over all the other 10" speakers. Can you tell us what caused you to change your mind so that you now prefer the Weber?

Also, do you think your TT is broken in?

Can you tell us what you think the pro's and con's of each are in the Princeton?

Thanks for your input on this topic, I'm going to be doing a Princeton and will get one of these two speakers for it.

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

BOTH speakers sound great in the Princeton Reverb. If you want to retain the Princeton Reverb - 10 inch speaker magic tone/sound/vibe, then go with the Weber 10A125. It will provide the mid 60's Alnico sweetness and punch that the PR is famous for. A bit louder than the stock 10 at the same volume settings. Handles pedals very well, and also sounds great with the amp dimed. I use an OCD V4 with my SRV Strat and it sounds great. I have about 70 hours on the Weber right now.
    If you want to get a bit of an idea what the Princeton Reverb will sound like with a 12" speaker in it without the hassle of swapping out the baffle board and adding a 12" speaker, then go with the Tone Tubby Ceramic. HUGE sounding speaker that introduces some nice mids into the overall sound/tone/vibe. "Louder" (perceived) than the Weber at the same volume settings. You will loose a bit of the Alnico sweetness of the Weber (the TT Ceramic is more robust) but once broken in the TT Ceramic is quite nice sounding in it's own right. Not harsh by any stretch of the imagination, but it will have a bit of an edge to it. Adds more bass to the mix as well so you'll have to watch your bass settings a bit more with the TT Ceramic than the Weber. I run the bass on 4 with the Weber and just above 2 with the TT Creamic. I most likely have about 60 hours on the TT Ceramic right now, and although it could most likely use a few more hours on it, I have a pretty decent idea of how it sounds. Interestingly enough, the TT Ceramic works better with the amp turned up and the guitar plugged straight in, (no OCD or other OD) where the Weber sounds killer with the OCD. If I wanted the amp to sound as big and loud as it possibly could with a 10" speaker, I would go with the TT Ceramic. If I wanted something that still retained the 10" magic, yet was a nice upgrade from the stock speaker, I would go with the Weber 10A125. If you go with the Weber, order the 30 watt, no dope 10A125.

8. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

yes.

9. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

The Weber 10a125 or 10f150 ae definitely "go-tos". Couple of other options:

Reverend Alltone 1025 (hard to find)
    Emi Copperhead (will add quite a lot of color to the amp's basic tone)

Also, Northcoast Music sells a 10" rebranded Emi speaker called the Blackdog for $39 that would be really good if you want a bit more of a Brit, upper-mid range hump flavor

10. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Very interesting thread... Has anyone compared the Weber alinico 10s' to an Emi Alnico 102 side by side?

11. doublee

doublee Member

I prefer ceramics so here goes:

TT10
    Weber 10F150
    Naylor SD40

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've been really pleased with the Eminence Ragin' Cajun I have in my '65 PR. I chose it after listening to Tomo's clips of the different Eminence speakers. It gives me a great clean sound and takes pedals well.

By the way, I bought it from Weber a few years ago.

Bryan

13. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Wingwalker from TGP sent me a 10" Weber Ferromax whatever it is - they renamed the speaker. I think its the ceramic model.

Either way, it kills. The amp was way louder, smoother gain, more headroom, and its an unobtrusive mod.

14. presence

presence Member

Thanks a lot SuperReverb, I'll go with the Weber 10A125. Steve at SDG Vintage amps recommends them in his Princeton clones as well.

15. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kendrick Blackframe 10"

or

Celestion Greenback g10

or (when comes out)

Celestion Gold 10

16. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IMO based on experience with some real fine BF PRs & Princetons, nothing sounds finer than an old Jensen C10Q (or the Weber equivalent).

17. theoneafter909

theoneafter909 Member

Just replaced the stock speaker in my new PRRI with a Weber 10F150-T and all I can say is "WOW the amp now sounds huge".

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  18. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

25 watt or 50 watt 10F150-T?

Thanks.

19. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

A Weber Blue Dog Ceramic is perfect in that amp.

20. theoneafter909

theoneafter909 Member

According to the Weber Invoice my 10F150-T is " 10" Ceramic 40 oz, ribbed, Que seamed cone 8 ohm 25 watts 1.5 voice coil ". I really do like the 10F150-T and to my ear it sounds so much better than the factory speaker. For playing around the house I set the controls on my PRRI at: Volume 3. Bass 9, Treble 8, Reverb 3-4. Using a Strat I roll the volume knob back to about 8 and on a Tele about 20%.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008