Princeton Reverb Tone Control Settings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crow, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

So I recently acquired a drip edge Fender Princeton Reverb - 68' I think. I was a bit dissappointed with the tone thinking is was muddy and dark sounding and was contemplating selling it. Last night I gave it one last try and fiddled with the tone controls - setting the treble at 8 and the bass at 9. Turning up the tone controls really brought the amp alive and I was rewarded with some amazing Fender tone!

It's funny because I immediately approach Fenders by turning the treble to about 4-5 and the bass down to 4, but I think the Princeton is a different animal. Definitely a lesson to me to throw out preconceived notions and set the amp according to taste.

Crow

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

That's the Jim Campilongo setting! Before I heard him and asked about his setup I never would have considered setting the bass that high.

Works great with teles, less so with higher output pickups.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

Whoa! The Bass never gets past about 3 on my PR.

4. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

That's exactly where I discovered the tone lives in my Lil King Princeton Clone. Bass and Treble around 7-8. That's with using the strat neck pickup.

It was a surprise to me too

5. phusana

phusana Member

+1 re: the Lil King settings. Although I need to back down on the bass a little when the vol is up at the 8-10 range playing P90s through it. :D Humbuckers will likely have you backing the bass off even more with the volume cranked.