Princeton Reverb Tranny originality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hathisisfunnyha, Feb 10, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

I'm looking for some feedback on a Tranny that was called into question of its originality.

I have a 67' Blackface PR and Here is the pic. It's definitely an old piece but I have seen both that are of this type and others with the metallic cover on them as well. I was hoping someone might have an idea.

[​IMG]

Also there was a BF PR on evilbay that just sold with a similar interior to my own. It has the same type speaker and everything. So I was thinking that potentially there was a run from 66 - 67 where different trannys might have been used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-1966-Pri...ryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks and any help is really appreciated,
    Eric

2. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

I noticed that this tranny looked weird when you posted the amp for sale a while back. Is it painted black? (if so, that's weird thing #1) Does it have a manufacturer/date code? (if not, that's weird thing #2).

p.s. the tranny in my '67 PR is silver metallic, with a manufacturer/date code. Also, it has plastic covered wires coming out of it, not cloth covered wires...

3. hathisisfunnyha

i dont know that its painted black but its definitely been in the amp for a long time with the rust and age and there doesnt seem to be any new solder marks or anything that would suggest its not original

4. hathisisfunnyha

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I've never seen one like that in any of the amps I've worked on. They have all been silver with bell covers. But that doesn't really mean anything...

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Around this time, most "fender" transformers were made by schumacher [EIA code 606].

Fender's "backup source" vendor was "Better Coil" [EIA code 138]. I have seen "open frame" OT's from "better coil" in small fenders of this era.

Look all over the OT.....is there a number "138" anywhere?

My guess....it's original. Just not the (more common) schumacher.

7. hogy

hogy Member

Definitely not original.

8. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

9. hogy

hogy Member

Because I've seen many dozens of Princeton Reverb transformers and they all had the shrouded Schumacher OT. I guess I shouldn't say "definitely" as I wasn't there when this transformer was installed, but personally I wouldn't believe it was original.

Maybe the OP could post a pic of the chassis inside? The look of the solder joints on the OT leads, as well as their routing, will likely tell the story.

10. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Yet others, myself included, have seen "Better Coil" OT's with open frames...

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Lets see the solder connections on the inside, that will tell the story.

12. hogy

hogy Member

And you knew they were original how?

13. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

- seen it more than once
    - EIA date codes that are congruent with other EIA date codes on the amp (s)
    - originality of the solder joints
    - "masking" on the chassis where the OT mounting ears protected the chassis underneath from 40+ years of environmental dirt / oxidation / nicotine / etc.

14. hathisisfunnyha

bad news guys. i sold the amp local before I had time to photo the guts. I guess the mystery remains