1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Princeton Reverb transformer code

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by homerayvaughan, Jan 22, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have a '66 princeton reverb with a replaced output transformer. It is grey and the number on it is 17-6920. Anyone know who made it?
    [​IMG]

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

the physical size and plate count looks like what you would see on small bogenish pa/intercom heads. What year is your princeton reverb?

3. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

It's a '66, blackface. I was debating getting a replacement. I was hoping to find an original, but for what they are asking for one I'd probably be better off with an aftermarket version.
    I was debating selling it. Would I be better off selling it a little cheaper with the non original transformer, or replacing it? Seems to me it would sell for less either way because it would still be non original.

4. mr coffee

as an investment the original date coded iron is what you are looking for. I agree what most people (colds springs) are asking for a ot... you could buy a black face non reverb amp of the same year and grab the OT there, install a correct repro on it and resell it.

If investment is not an issue (prying from your cold dead fingers..) you could find a real fender 70's one.. or get a merc mag repro and pocket the difference.

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Thanks - as it is, I have put a lot into the amp (caps, tubes), and the tech who worked on it said it would not make that big a difference in tone having it replaced, so I kept it in. It's not like it would be an investment piece anyway. It's in good shape, but more of a player. I'll probably sell it as is and let someone else decide.

6. mr coffee

let me know when you decide to sell...

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member