• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Princeton Reverb vs. Deluxe Reverb Tone Difference?

sralquist

Speakers are key.

My 72 SFPR is currently loaded with a Tone Tubby 10" and is used by our singer/rhythm guitarist with her Tele.

I frigging love that amp. Any brightness issues are smoothed out with the TT. I didn't try many speakers, just got lucky on the first try! Bright amps LOVE Tone Tubby's!
+1 on the TT .. I have a 10" alnico TT my 67 PR and love it.

I really did try and squeak by using the PR for live jams because of that ridiculous tone .. but finally i gave into the fact that with a full band jammin' (the way we do)... the PR was not really able to punctuate they way i needed it to. I found myself with less and less headroom and therefore less and less of that sweet tone. I could see it working in a mellower setting, perhaps playing a small bar or the type of gig or music that levels need to be kept down.
Bottom line is it would be a very tough choice if someone said i could only keep one of the two greatest amps ever made! .. but thankfully i don't have to make that decision :D

twangyt

I just got a SFPR last week. I hadn't played with one ever and thought that they might be nice to check out. Bought one used, sight unseen.... opened it up outta the box to find out that it was an early '68. Plugged it up and played for a looooong time... this is THE amp for me right now. Reverb is better than my '67 twin, the vibrato is just killer. And the amp will smoke! I can see how it may not be loud enough for some, but what this thing may lack in volume... it makes up in tone. Best of all, this amp was TOTALLY stock and only set me back $399. :thud Good to know that there are still deals to be had out there... I am excited about this amp. period.

Dezzy

I was thinking of getting a PR, but they are pretty steep priced for what they are, so I am buying the PR amp kit and building my own, I am sticking a 12" speaker in it as many say it sounds better that way, plus mine will be hand wired ect, and will sound as good as any fender make, seen as the tubes will be hand picked by me along with the speaker and components, for half the price of what we pay for a PR in the UK, my friends sounds way better than his SF PR, can not Waite now.

ando

Silver Supporting Member
i had a '68 DR for a long time & have a '70PR...i like the tone of the PR much better..i put an old 12" JBL D-120F in the PR & play any gig with it..i played for quite a while in a 10 piece band with 3 horns, never had a problem hearing that amp over the horn section...

Revelation

As I want another amp for tone more than headroom, the Princeton RI is on top of my list. However If I did not have my Boogie 25 Express I would buy the Deluxe Reverb in a heartbeat over the Princeton. It really depends on what your needs are which will decide if the DR or P is the better amp for you.

zenas

Kind of an old thread but what the heck. I've managed to get into both a 67 BFDR and a 64 PR.
Almost didn't buy the 64 PR but the price was $900 and they were going for double that at the time so I got out the Leatherman, pulled the chassis then handed over the nine one hundred dallor bills.
I seldom use the BFDR anymore. . . .

Yes both amps have all new electrolytics and have been serviced. Do not use a vintage amp without doing that. Expecially a Princeton!

Mike R.

Yes,you are crazy.But no,really,the two amps are different circuits with the DR having a long tailed pair phase inverter,and the PR a cathodyne phase inverter.The latter being sweeter sounding.The DR has more output power but lacks the sweetness of tone that the PR has gobs of.
Both amps are great sounding to be sure,but the PR gets my nod every time in terms of pure sweet tone.
The PR is about 12 watts vs 22 watts for the DR.
Build a princeton reverb with a 12" speaker or a more efficient 10" speaker and they are Deluxe killers.
Of course that doesn't mean you can plug into any princeton and get that experience.Some are tired,have old worn out tubes and speakers and have been rode hard and put up wet.
The reiisue kind of sounds like a worn down original.It just doesn't have the vibe stock.Put some NOS tubes in and a better speaker and who knows?
I've heard Jim Campilongo plug into a new PRRI and it sounded REALLY good. No mods to the amp. It was stock.

Of course he could plug into a shoebox and sound amazing.

swiveltung

Is there a difference in circuit, besides the speaker and wattage between these two amps? I had a DRRI and I swear that amp never sang like the way the Princeton would. Am I crazy? :NUTS
No , you are not crazy at all. The DR and all up to the Twin are very much the same circuit. The PR is a different circuit. It's warmer and nastier than the DR. I have had several PR's (and DR's for that matter!). The PR is great for very small clubs or recording, gives it up too much at anything bigger for me. a DR can really sing, but it's a higher volume level than a PR when doing so.

Well crap... I now see this thread is 7 years old! :>)

Jerry

Silver Supporting Member
Another difference between the two amps is that the reverb channel of a Deluxe Reverb has a bright cap on it and the Princeton Reverb does not.

Last edited:

morgan918

Just to throw this out there, Vintage Sound makes a 20w Princeton clone. Loud enough for stage and band use with headroom but still the tonal differences over a DR. I've had one for several months and really really love it.

phsyconoodler

I've built a few high powered Princeton reverbs with 6L6s and larger transformers. Also built a few without tube rectifiers and up to 500v on the plates. They really sing! And believe it or not sound fabulous cranked to 10. Lovely overdrive! I used a 12"and an 8" speaker in those.

zenas

I've built a few high powered Princeton reverbs with 6L6s and larger transformers. Also built a few without tube rectifiers and up to 500v on the plates. They really sing! And believe it or not sound fabulous cranked to 10. Lovely overdrive! I used a 12"and an 8" speaker in those.
Keep looking at a spare Twin Reverb output transformer and thinking I should use that with a pair of 6L6s in a PR build. (8 ohms like that) Then I rember my stock PR is loud enough these days. . . .

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
The PR is hands down the sweetest sounding blackface Fender amp, period. If it isn't loud enough for your gig stiuation, then add a Vibrolux Reverb to your arsenal. Second sweetest BF. The DR is a good amp but the VR is better.

Jeff Gehring

Silver Supporting Member
Different strokes, I guess... I've had numerous BFBRs and they always get sold. It is too small of an amp for my taste. A customer of mine had me redo a Princeton so it had a LTPI instead of the cathodyne. That, I could just about live with!

Trending Topics