Princeton Reverb w/12” speaker vs Deluxe Reverb

BMX

Supporting Member
Are these amps pretty much the same? I’m talking about for an all a rounder- jazz to crunchy to allman brothers leads, whatever. I’m looking for a 1x12 Combo I can put a Celestion into and use an aiab pedal when needed to crank it.

I’ve already got my normal 2x12 rigs, just looking for something smaller. I know that the cab is a little bigger on the deluxe, it has two channels and some minor design differences. Just wondering if I would care if it was miked up and cranked.

I realize most people are just going to say get the deluxe, but when it’s not in the car for a gig it will be in the living room for solo jazz with a hollowbody and I like the size of the Princeton.

Last edited:

paddywhack

Silver Supporting Member
Nope...not the same....I have owned both at the same time and a Princeton with a 12 is a great amp..with a clean boost in front of it certainly gets into Deluxe territory....but it’s a softer sounding amp and doesn’t get the bite and edge that you get with a Deluxe.....neither one gets you that much crunch and Allman Bros style lead tones ain’t gonna happen....not sure any 1-12 amp will but I would look elsewhere for those tone requirements....

....that said...a Princeton with a 12 inch speaker and a great pedal board is a sweet rig that can cover a lot of ground...and is very easy to transport....if you’re buying a newer model the 68 might get you closer to the sound you seek...

HeavyCream

I don’t think the OP thinks he’s going to nail Duane with those amps. He said he wants something smaller that can do jazz/blues and use pedals for the crunchier stuff.

I also vote DR FWIW.

aeolian

The DR has way more headroom and projection. Also the larger DR cabinet gives a more spacious sound. Most small 1-12s have that Boogie laser beam thing going on.

HotBluePlates

Are these amps pretty much the same? ... I’m looking for a 1x12 Combo I can put a Celestion into and use an aiab pedal when needed to crank it.
I realize most people are just going to say get the deluxe, but when it’s not in the car for a gig it will be in the living room for solo jazz with a hollowbody and I like the size of the Princeton.
If you're actually gonna crank the amp to distortion, then get the Deluxe. I love Princeton Reverb amps (a 1967 was my first good amp), but beyond edge-of-breakup they fall apart. You can modify them to counteract that, but by the time you do that you shoulda just bought a Deluxe.

If you're gonna mostly play it at home, or you're gonna keep it clean & add pedals for distortion (plus maybe mic the cab if used at a gig), then sure, the Princeton Reverb is probably the sweeter-sounding amp.

Muttlyboy

Silver Supporting Member
If you're actually gonna crank the amp to distortion, then get the Deluxe. I love Princeton Reverb amps (a 1967 was my first good amp), but beyond edge-of-breakup they fall apart. You can modify them to counteract that, but by the time you do that you shoulda just bought a Deluxe.

If you're gonna mostly play it at home, or you're gonna keep it clean & add pedals for distortion (plus maybe mic the cab if used at a gig), then sure, the Princeton Reverb is probably the sweeter-sounding amp.
The sweetness of the Princeton Reverb vs the DR... is that mostly because of the power supply? Maybe the 1k screen resistor vs the choke?

I have to say regarding the break-up of the Princeton Reverb...

My buddy has a 1966 Princeton Reverb. The circuit mostly original with the only work done to it being about 4 or 5 resistors replaced with the beige carbon film resistors (values matched the schematic) and a replacement speaker (square ceramic magnet Eminence)

That thing absolutely SCREAMS when cranked up.
It's what made me put a PR clone together.
My clone sounds nowhere near as good

HotBluePlates

The sweetness of the Princeton Reverb vs the DR... is that mostly because of the power supply? Maybe the 1k screen resistor vs the choke? ...
"Sweetness" is probably more about no bright-cap (comparing stock versions of each amp), bias-vary trem (PR) vs opto-isolator trem (DR) and speaker (comparing vintage versions of each amp, where @slider313 clued me in on the PR having the C10NS). Power supply and power/output transformer differences the round out the major distinctions between the models.

... I have to say regarding the break-up of the Princeton Reverb...

My buddy has a 1966 Princeton Reverb. ....

That thing absolutely SCREAMS when cranked up.
It's what made me put a PR clone together.
My clone sounds nowhere near as good
I had that 1967 PR in high school & a few years after. I tried using it for gigs with a drummer, etc, and it was not good when the Volume was dimed. Along with the other issues that blackface style amps have with heavy distortion (and those are many from a design perspective), the split-load phase inverter can do bad things once the output tubes (and then the inverter) distort.

Last edited:

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Are these amps pretty much the same? I’m talking about for an all a rounder- jazz to crunchy to allman brothers leads, whatever. I’m looking for a 1x12 Combo I can put a Celestion into and use an aiab pedal when needed to crank it.

I’ve already got my normal 2x12 rigs, just looking for something smaller. I know that the cab is a little bigger on the deluxe, it has two channels and some minor design differences. Just wondering if I would care if it was miked up and cranked.

IMHO, a PR doesn’t have enough headroom to really be flexible, beyond playing at home or studio work. A DR with pedals like an OCD and a FDII, and a good Celestion can cover a hell of a lot more ground.

That’s what I went with. When all of my Marshall’s are gone, the DR will be the last one standing.

Last edited:

BadAssBill

southofnash.com
Silver Supporting Member
I own a SFDR and have played a few gigs with a 12" Princeton. The P was a great amp....really nice tone, I should have bought it when my buddy sold it. It would be ideal for smaller gigs, just wouldn't translate to a med\larger gig with a full band IMHO without micing.

billyguitar

A DR isn't much bigger or heavier than a PR. DR sounds like a big Fender the PR doesn't, IMO. A DR even with a 10 would sound better too, IMO. Clip the bright cap and you're done.

Last edited:

Gig Young

The Diana Nyad of Guitar
Gold Supporting Member
For not loud, smaller venues, and of course playing at home
The PR is one of the best sweet sounds I've heard.

for my clean, no pedal needs.

ken374

I have the guitar center limited tweed with a celestion G12-65 12" can blast it and stays tight excellent crunch

AshlandBump

Silver Supporting Member
You could consider going the middle route with a Vintage Sound 20. It has a 12" speaker, the cabinet might be slightly larger than a Princeton, plus you get a midrange control and Princeton-style vibrato. Build quality and tone are excellent.

jlectka

Supporting Member
Hard to beat a DR with a good speaker. It’s totally easy to transport, takes a lot of pedals and guitars really well. I played with some friends a few nights ago and remembered how great that amp is with just a tele and a good drive pedal.