Princeton Reverb with 12" Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

I've got a weber c10v in my '67 PR. It's basically a ceramic blue dog with a 10-inch cone instead of 12-inch (BIG magnet). I love the way it sounds and haven't felt the need to try anything else since I put it in 20 or so years ago. A 12-inch "might" move a little more air, but I doubt I could tell the difference.

2. Howlin Maxx

Howlin Maxx Member

I just bot a recent reissue with a Celestion Alnico Blue 12. Really nice amp that sounds like a Fender should sound like.

The Blue sounds fine, nice and clean at lower practice volumes but REALLY shines when pushed.

Nonvintage and Gasp100 like this.
  3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Yea, I'm a HUGE fan of the Celesion Blue and that one has really peaked my interest - and it looks cool as hell. I always associated Blue with Vox, but I could see that Fender sparkle working well with the Blue which might also offer up some nice compression at louder volumes.
    I think a lot of die hard Princeton guys expect the 10" and a Jensen speaker which I understand.
    But honestly, I just want wonderful clean tones and the ability for it to take pedals well. Might be better amps like the Suhr Bella, etc. but they are above my pay grade even used.

4. Nonvintage

Nonvintage Member

Fender made a Black Tweed Princeton Reverb with a Celestion Blue. Nice sounding amp.

5. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind having the Princeton Carlos Santana played and said "that little amp really boogies".

tele1951 likes this.
  6. Nonvintage

Nonvintage Member

I gotta admit I've been gassing for a Louis Electric Columbia.

7. Gasp100

Oh, there's a version with a Creamback... one of my favorite speakers.

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I have '72 SFPR (I think it's 72). Allen BF'd it and put on a raw control, that I don't really use, and I added the Weber 10A125. It's pretty awesome.

I totally jones for another Allen :-0

ChampReverb and rhinocaster like this.
  9. woof*

woof* Member

“Elegant tube based solution”
    ;)

10. fingertip

fingertip Silver Supporting Member

I have the tweed PRRI w/ 12" Rex. I play it through my avatar which has vintage Celestion G10-50's. Now it sounds like a big Princeton. I don't think the 12" voices right with this circuit. Used PRRI price is going to be hard to beat.

11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Allen Hot Fudge kit...$999 ;)

12. AA864

AA864 Member

I run a blue in my Gries 12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FiestaRed and Gasp100 like this.
  13. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

It's a hand wired point to point amp. It's basically the preamp of a Princeton with bass, mid, treble, and presence, with treble boost, and mid boost. The power amp from a blackface deluxe, and the presence circuit from a tweed bassman. With Reverb.
    I've had mine for over 10 years. I put all ANOS glass in it, and a Weber FC12 speaker. It's a clone of a Fane Crescendo. It keeps up with drummers, and I have never had a problem when jamming with others. You should be able to find one around $800. If you can find one with the 12F speaker, you will pay a little more. I believe the 12F is a re-badged EV 12L. (I will have one someday!) The stock regular speaker is not great and you will probably want to replace it. Not many owners like the OD channel, it can be made to sound good, but I just use mine as a pedal platform. Pushing the clean channel will give some nice OD. There is an entire webpage dedicated to the PRII, a FB page, and many threads on the forums. Mine has never let me down.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  14. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

I had the limited edition PRRI 65 Navy Blues model that came with blue tolex and a Celestion Blue. Loved it... the Blue def gave it a Vox-y sound.

Gasp100 likes this.
  15. Litterick

Litterick Member

The 12F was available as an option for the II series amps, and also was sold separately. I don’t know how many were made, but they don’t come on the market often.

The PRII does everything: a real studio amp, with many ways to shape the sound. I have had mine for over twenty years. It is my only amp.

The PRII also has its own webpage.

Gasp100 likes this.
  16. Gasp100

Currently looking at the Dr. Z Cure as well. Seems like a pretty nice amp with some well thought out modern appointments. I'll keep searching for a Princeton Reverb II but they seem overpriced on the used market right now.

17. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I have a PRII and a couple of SF Princeton Reverbs.

The PRII is good and fairly versatile and mine has a Weber Alnico Blue Dog in it.

One of my PR’s has a Fat Jimmy C1025 and the other has an Emi GA-SC64 10 (a bit stiffer and more compressed but still good).

I think the PR with the Fat Jimmy speaker just sounds richer and more responsive and better than the other two amps. There’s also a louder, cleaner FJ C1060 but I haven’t tried it.

The Fat Jimmy C1025 recently replaced a Weber 10a125.

The Emi GA-SC64 10 replaced a Weber alnico Blue Pup.

-bEn r.

SgtYork likes this.
  18. bserrill

bserrill Supporting Member

Allen Sweet Spot gets my vote for what you are seeking. You can get the amp with a 10" Eminence Copperhead speaker or 12" Red, White, & Blues speaker....both offered by David at Allen Amps. All of the suggestion before are really helpful too. You have to trust your ears and try different sizes and brands.

The boutique brands are usually better quality and tone vs. the actual Fender Princeton Reverb. Try the actual thing out and turn it all the way up. It will start to crackle when pushed...hence why guys go boutique or jump to the Deluxe Reverb...usually have bigger iron and tweaked to allow for more clean headroom. When playing at home the Fender Princeton may be all you want or need. Once you move into the Tweed or Brown category here you are not going for the "Princeton Reverb" sound anymore...my opinion. Blackface and Tweed are not the same so be mindful in your search.

ChampReverb and Gasp100 like this.
  19. Gasp100

Yes, always more drawn to Blackface Fender clean tones with maybe edge of breakup when digging in... I normally use a Timmy clone for grit and higher gain overdrive pedals for versatility. I played a '66 Blackface Bandmaster Reverb head on top of a nice 1x12 for a decade with pedals in front and was always happy. Heck maybe that is the route I should go LOL. But I think a combo makes more sense nowadays.