Princeton Silverface or FSR reissue?

zach5150

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on 2 options.

I can get a SFPR (early 70s I think) for about 700 bucks shipped. However, it needs work. Possibly a blown speaker and he thinks he's only seeing 1 tube light up which could be any number of things. However, I'm pretty technical and can probably fix it myself. Apparently it produces a decent tone at low volumes.

Or - I can get a nearly new Princeton Reverb Reissue (orange/white FSR) with alnico speaker for about 550+tax and shipping.

WWGGD? (what would guitar geeks do?)

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Silver face. They are easy to fix and the reissues are not worth much. You'll fix it sfpr quickly and you can then sell it for $900!

LJD

Get the SF, it's fun to have a project anyway. You could definitely flip it for a lot more cash if you end up not liking it. The FSR's look great (I have the surf blue/white), but I hated the reissue Jensen Alnico with overdrive. No matter what you get, put a Celestion G10 Gold alnico in there!

zach5150

Thanks y'all. I agree in concept on getting the SFPR. I'm still waiting on some info on it.though. If I don't hear back soon, I may have to pull the trigger on the FSR so I don't lose it at the offered price.

zach5150

Well, I pulled the trigger. I decided to.hold off on spending the cash on a vintage Princeton. I got such a good deal on this reissue (used) that I had to give it a chance. If I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it to guitar center. Its a Fender Special Run reissue with the factory cover and footswitch. Some may think its ugly, but I kind of like it. These special runs had a few colors and speaker options. This one is Orange/White and has a jensen alnico speaker. $550 and they only charged 15 bucks to ship it from.Virginia Beach, Va! I should have it next week.

LJD - I've heard others mention the Jensen alnico isn't the greatest, but I played one the other day and didn't dislike it. At this price, I can do a speaker swap and a couple of mods if I need to. Or, I'll return it and continue the SFPR search. :) I know gold g10 is popular, but so is thr weber 10f150. Have you played both speakers?

Trending Topics