"Princeton" speaker options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snarkle, Jan 21, 2015.

1. snarkle

snarkle Member

I just traded into a boutique Princeton-style amp that I'm in love with, except that I'd like a little more clean headroom than I'm getting with the stock 12" Eminence Private Jack.

I've plugged the amp into a THD cab and it sounds magnificent, so it's not the tubes or circuit.

Any suggestions from the TGP brain trust?

In the meantime, I'll go fishing for the JBL that i know is around here...somewhere...

2. snarkle

snarkle Member

One more question: will the Private Jack clean up as it breaks in? The amp's probably only got 10 hours on it at this point.

3. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

If you are looking to turn your Princeton into a mini Twin Reverb, then go with a Weber 10F150T. Big & clean...

4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The Emi Cannibas Rex is popular in blackface amps and really loud.

5. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

I have the Private Jack in a 112 cab that I use with my Pro Jr and I really like it! When new,it does sound a little harsh,but after about 40 hrs. it sweetened considerably. Give it some time,and I think you will agree!

Gordon

6. snarkle

snarkle Member

That's interesting...I'll give it some more time.

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

:aok

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

JBLs are out there if you've got the cash, and that IS the speaker for a loud, clean PR. The EV SRO or Altec or Fane alnico's are also great speakers for that application.

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

I wasn't joking about the JBL in the basement!

I used to use it in a brown Deluxe, and it was great in that application.

I'm trying to keep the weight of this particular amp down, though, as it's supposed to be my "grab-and-go" rig for rehearsals and small shows.

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Find that JBL dude!

11. Chadley

Chadley Member

I have a Morgan PR12, which is his take on a blackface Princeton. I love it with a celestion gold.

12. thebowl

thebowl Member

I have a 65 RI. I also have a JBL D120 and an Altec Lansing 417 in my basement. I am not inclined to remove the 10 inch speaker (I am using a Legend 1058), and I really think the Princetons sound best with ceramic speakers, although these are obviously matters of opinion.

I guess my question is that, if you have a 12 inch speaker in a Princeton, and you are looking for more "clean headroom", are you really needing a different (larger) amp?

13. snarkle

snarkle Member

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I want, which doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to get it!

:)

I do have a '62 Deluxe and a '65 Deluxe Reverb, both optimized for rock years ago with Vintage 30s, so the (slightly) larger amp option is there. I'm looking for something lighter and jazzier, and the boutigue Princeton under discussion here is just a hair away from perfection.

On doing more research, it looks like it could be a break-in issue. A lot of people contend that the Eminences sound raspy out of the box, but smooth out over time. So, as with a lot of TGP problems, what I'm experiencing is likely to be solved by more playing and less time on the internet!

Plugging in now...but will consider further suggestions!

14. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I've heard Warehouse Guitar Speaker G12C/S sound real nice in Princetons, big clean and American.

15. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Better than the Celestion G10 for me with a PRRI. The 10F150T turned it into a fire-breathing monster. I would crank the volume up to 10 with great results.

16. Ziegenh5

Ziegenh5 Member

When you guys say 10f150t are you talking about the 25 watt or 50 watt version?

17. snarkle

snarkle Member

Some days I embarrass myself...I went digging for that JBL and found that I actually had two D120Fs and a K120 in storage.

(My late uncle was a piano player, bibliophile, and hoarder, and some days I see myself going down that route...)

Anyway, next free day I'll swap them in and out and see which I prefer. But first, does anyone have any opinions regarding the D versus the K in this application?

Since my original post I've put another 10 hours on the amp and it is starting to smooth out a bit, but there's still a woofiness to the bass I'd like to get rid of.

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

10F150T...it'll transform your Princeton. GREAT speaker!

19. snarkle

snarkle Member

Thanks! But just to clarify, mine is a Princeton clone with a 12" baffle.

On the other hand, I'm also fixing up a brownface Super with trashed non-original 10s, so I might look into Webers for that application.

20. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    With regards to your Brownface Super, I got a pair of factory installed Weber 10-F150's in the Headstrong Verbrovibe 2X10 clone I got back in '09. They are loud & proud, top to bottom for Fender tone. The Verborvibe begins to breakup at around 4 1/5 - so much clean headroom and then that edge of breakup there once you approach half vol... it's a joy to play through. I put a Warehouse G12C/s in my Rambler after having it in a Princeton Reverb II - great speaker for classic blackface tone, very efficient too for good vol.