princeton vs. princeton reverb for blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesweetness, Feb 11, 2008.

1. thesweetness

thesweetness Supporting Member

No question these are the cream of the crop in their field. Does anybody have an opinion on one vs. the other for playing straight blues?

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

How loud? How clean?

Bryan

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

In no other representative examples of fender's 60's offerings is there such a huge difference between the reverb & non-reverb models of a given amp.

Unlike other models [pro vs. pro reverb, b-master vs. b-master reverb, etc.] where the "gain" is pretty uniform between the rev & non rev offerings, the Princeton & Princeton Reverb are worlds apart. Not even close.

The PR is a scream machine......the non-rev is a clean machine.

4. thesweetness

reasonably loud, bedroom or small jam volume. I like clean, but some breakup is always good. I know princetons stay clean till 10 and reverbs breakup, but I'm just curious if any straight blues players out there have tried/owned both and have a preference while playing at home.

5. theraygun

theraygun Member

I own a NR Princeton and it will stay clean up to 10 with my Tele. If I hit it with a boost, it will start to break up, but not much. Gets decently loud. I'm sure if you hooked it up to a 4X12 or mic'd it you could use it most places. I saw Ryan Adams last fall and he was using a pair of Princetons with 4x12 and was plenty loud.

6. thesweetness

I'm not worried about it being loud enough, I'm just curious about other blues aficionados taste in them when it comes to tone.