Private Jack... raspy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whale, Dec 20, 2005.

1. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum, but enjoy the knowledgable and respectful tone here. Lots better than H.C... well done there.

here's the skinny. Just received a custom amp by Nau Engineering. i ordered it with a Super Reverb for clean and a smooth Mark 2c+ meets Dumble dirty tone in mind. I've only been tweeking it for about 6 days now, so i realize i just might not have spent enough time with it. I had a Private Jack 16 ohm put into this 1x12 combo. It sounds solid for clean and mildly overdriven. but if i push the overdrive in search of a liquidy smooth lead overdrive, it's a little raspy on the top end. Do you think this raspy-ness will work itself out as i break the speaker in, or is that a characteristic of the speaker itself... and i should switch it out? I play a combination of strats and hamer studios and i really dig on Robben Ford's tone, both clean and dirty, singles and humbuckers. I'm not looking to immitate, but i use his tone as reference.

thanks for your help!

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

What did this amp have for a speaker before?
    Are you sure its the speaker?

3. axpro

axpro Member

Dunno about it working itself out that much... it'll soften abit (mine has) but I also think it has a bit of high end rasp by design... In a 2x12 with a Cannabis Rex, it all but dissapears!

4. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I use the same speaker combination in a combo... They are hardly broken in yet and I'm having a bit of trouble with od tones, but I couldn't agree more with axpro. I'll make your words mine....

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

I would work the speaker a little longer if I were you. The thing is, someone else might have had the same model speaker break in quickly, but speakers can vary individually. In my limited experience, speakers vary more in how they break in versus their "final" tone.

For instance, the first Wizard I got was very stiff and harsh, and required a good pounding before it's sweetness and definition came to the fore. My other Wizard sounded much better out of the box, and broke in very quickly. They both sound, well, like Wizards now. ;)

Who knows, maybe it's not what you need, but better to be sure, right?

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

No.

Several folks I know have had this complaint. An aquaiantence of mine yanked his private jacks and sold them after 6 months of beating on them with a superlead and no change. Reissue greenbacks sound much better to me.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I heard the one Glenn K has now in his Reverend Hellhound and raspy is exactly how I'd describe it. I didn't care for it at all (though Glenn loves it and, in fact, I'll apprise him of this thread so he can explain why and you get the full scoop).

8. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

Yes, I really like the PJ. Does a great overdriven sound in my Reverend Hellhound with my Reverend Avenger TL, which is based on a Strat with a Tele style pickup in the bridge position. Raspsy? I'm not sure what that word means in regards to speaker tone, but it does have some high end treble that may need to be backed off slightly on your amp. It is not a real dark speaker. In my experience, the more overdriven it is, the better. The mids really grind nicely. But as Jon mentions, all in the taste, as he didn't like it at all. It takes to distortion pedals very well.

9. kctx2

kctx2 Member

The PJ and humbuckers are fantastic for a strong Marshall tone without having to run at 100 watts. Probably not your best choise for a Strat. Instead of the Redcoat series, you may want to try the Patriot series.
    Anyone else agree on this for the PJ?

10. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

depends,

If you mean raspy as in a shrill piercing high end, te speaker probably need to be broken in. I'd suggest several hours of an SRV cd at loud volumes. It helped me out tremendously. (Thanks Doug R. for the tip).

If you mean it has a bit of "hair" on the top end, that's the speaker. You may want to try a celestion g-1265. They compress a little differently than a typical GB type speaker. Robben ford usses 'em. His tone is pretty smooth.

Thanks,
    Paul

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Right amp, wrong speaker.

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

A Scumback will get it sorted!

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

That's primarily what I, at least, meant by raspy and I hope I've been clear that this is a fine speaker for folks who are seeking the tones it produces, it's just not me, babe. :)

14. el34power

el34power Member

The first private jack i had took a while to smooth out. Just as i thought i noticed it getting better... I smoked it with the JCM800:eek:

The new one isn't broken in yet... will see

15. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I thought Ford was using Tonkers with his Dumble now. Maybe that would work for you.

16. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

by playing SRV for a few hours at high volumes, are you refering to literally connecting an Ipod to your guitar amp and cranking SRV through it? if so, how do you set your EQ, and i'm assuming you'd play it through the clean side, aye? this is news to me, so please excuse my rather basic questions.

As a note, this speaker came in an amp that was built for me. it's a three channel amp, with channels 2 and 3 sharing the same EQ. We chose this speaker to put in it based on it's reported sound on Eminence's website. I'd been playing a Triaxis through v 30's, and enjoyed the 'smoothness' of the overdrive. With this combo, i was shooting for the Dumble/Mark 2C+ smoothness in the overdrive... Robben Fordish in nature. I may have just chosen the wrong speaker for the job. But if Ford is using Greenback-ish speakers, maybe i didn't. Suggestions?

17. el34power

el34power Member

Yes, I have done this several times (and still do). I actually used to take my guitar cord and plud it in the headphone out of my sound system.
    What i do now.. i plug the cab in the speaker out of the sound system, crank the bass up a bit, raise the volume to a fairly loud level, close the door and let sit all day...

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

If you just compare speakers between the Private Jack, the Wizard,
    the Tonespotters, and the Tonker.

For me, the PJ 50 watts, the Tonespotter 75 watts, the Wizard 75 watts,
    and the Tonker 150 watts.... first one got more top end... last one (the Tonker)
    more bottom end and mild top end.

I also like the Red Ryder 120 watts for my 1 12 cab. Well balanced
    from bottom to top with good headroom.

Recently Jim Salman did amazing tweak with great help from Scott Lerner
    on my Fuchs 50. OD sound got really better. I am using the Tonespotters.
    With my ES335... even my clean CH can create singing quality tone.

Tomo