Private Jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrgeek335, Jan 25, 2012.

1. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

I recently installed a Private Jack in my '64 Deluxe NR, after researching the web for recommendations,it seems to be a popular speaker in these amps. After some time (approx. 10 hrs. )it still seems a little clanky,for the lack of a better description. Have I made a bad choice or does it get better with more useage ?

Gordon

2. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I bought one and installed it in a NOS Blues Jr and it just wasn't cutting it for me. The lows were not very present, almost too "tight" but the mids and highs were really good. I then decided to put it in my Eganter Rebel 1X12 cabinet and the thing freaking howls. It's so much better. The closed back cab really helps this speaker. It's now really thumping and has punchy lows (which is what I like instead of "boomy" bass) the mids are smokey and the highs are crystal clear and crisp without being piercing. It's voiced on the British side so it certainly has some crunchy elements to it. That's just my experience with the Private Jack but for me it is working really well in the a closed back cab. I've probably got about 20 hours of loud (band rehearsal volumes) playing on it and it has softened up a bit but who knows, my ears are probably just getting familiar with the speaker characteristics more than the speaker sound actually changing.

3. sled

sled Member

I'd sell the Private Jack and get a Scumback M75 or H75.

4. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

I have other speakers to try,I just read so many accolades for the PJ in Blackface Deluxes,I had to try it! It is sounding more even and balanced the more I break it in,so I guess I will give it more time.

Gordon

5. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Sometimes I think the breaking in process is more about getting our ears attuned to the speaker than anything else. The crunchies seem to diminish by cutting presence down and using less gain than you were formerly used to, and perhaps slightly cleaner or more sterile preamp tubes. My ANOS RCA grey shortplate really started shining after I used a honky crunchy speaker.

6. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have a broken in private jack in my Oldfield D'Lux (DR Clone) and it sounds great/
    give it some time
    I can't decide between the jack or WGC G12C

7. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

I am running my home stereo through the amp ( via the headphone output ) to break in the Private Jack a little quicker,as I have a gig next week, I will report back. Thanks for the replies gents. Anyone else have any opinions?

Gordon

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Overdriven it sounds great but cleans are a little clanky. The Red Fang is even worse as are most of the Celestions.

Scumback M75
    ASW KTS70
    WGS Blackhawk 50

These are a few of the speakers I like better that address this butt the PJ is still in my top 5 picks.

9. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

I also installed a Private Jack in my Deluxe Reverb. It took some time to break in but I really like it now. If that doesn't work for you, you may want to take a look at the Hellatone 30 or 60 from Avatar speakers.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'de try the Canabis Rex if the PJ doesn't work before I gave up on Eminence.

11. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

Well, I played the Deluxe at gig volume , and it did give me more cut and volume, as I had hoped,but I felt like I was fighting it all night. I am starting to think my ears don't care for the mid-forward voicing of the PJ. I am going to move the PJ to my 112 Cab. and continue with the breaking in process. I have a reconed '66 Jensen c12q that I am going to try next.

Gordon