• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

    Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

    You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

    We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.


Private Jacks Too Bright!!

pfrischmann

Member
Messages
3,356
Hey guys,
I've been pumping classical music through a set of PJ at very loud volumes for the past three days. (my wife's cats hate me).

The speakers are so bright, the top end sounds more like white noise. Any tricks to really break them in or is this just what they do?
 

el34power

Member
Messages
1,497
From experience. keep it up. I was about to throw mine when all of a sudden it started sounding much better.... I put put mine on classic rock for 3 days:D
 

MuseCafeChris

Senior Member
Messages
7,827
I just popped 4 GB12s in a cab and would like to break 'em in like you guys are (I plan on using a Snoop Dogg CD to really get those speakers moving LOL). How are you doing it? Running a CD player's headphone out thru an amp and into your cabs? I was thinking into the effects return of my Peavey Classic.
 

el34power

Member
Messages
1,497
I used the headphone out but i was a little concerned with the signal level and impedance comming from the headphone out. My cab(s) are 8 ohm so i just made a cable and hooked up the cabs to the speaker outs of my stereo, craked the bass and treble closed the door of the rehearsal room....
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by pfrischmann
Hey guys,
I've been pumping classical music through a set of PJ at very loud volumes for the past three days. (my wife's cats hate me).

The speakers are so bright, the top end sounds more like white noise. Any tricks to really break them in or is this just what they do?





Play Blues through them for a week,
that should calm them down.
 

Glenn_K

Member
Messages
585
The PJs do have some brightness, which is good in my opinion... don't want to close down the high end. Possibly your taste is you want something darker. But yes, symphonic music is probably not the best for break-in.
 

shredhead666

Member
Messages
57
Wouldn't it be more ideal to run a loop of white noise though them? That's supposed to be every frequency playing all at once, right?
 

Glenn_K

Member
Messages
585
White noise is too constant. You need something to pump the speaker back and forth. Same with symphonic music. A lot of constant strings are not going to move that cone.
 

Chuck Snider

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
4,502
I haven't tried this yet but a amp tech was talking about how he breaks in the PJs . part of it was taking a bit of the dope off with acetone( i think he said acetone?) He also sits them out in the sun to bleach out the paper a bit( no kidding) haven't tried it myself but that's just what I overheard..... ( No flames please)
 

el34power

Member
Messages
1,497
Originally posted by Chuck Snider
I haven't tried this yet but a amp tech was talking about how he breaks in the PJs . part of it was taking a bit of the dope off with acetone( i think he said acetone?) He also sits them out in the sun to bleach out the paper a bit( no kidding) haven't tried it myself but that's just what I overheard..... ( No flames please)
The acetone should work. Lacker thinner should also work BUT. I wouldn't screw around on a new speaker... You may end up damaging it for no real gain.... Like Doug says, just play the damn thing:dude
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by el34power
The acetone should work. Lacker thinner should also work BUT. I wouldn't screw around on a new speaker... You may end up damaging it for no real gain.... Like Doug says, just play the damn thing:dude




Yes I do.
I used to age speakers by using a spray bottle full
of water set to a fine mist. Lightly sprayed,
and the water hand rubbed in, I'd let them dry
in the sun. I'd repeat this until the cone feels
like a 50yr old Jensen cone.
Its heat and moisture that does this, I'd just
help it out a bit. I haven't done this in a while now,
been too busy recording enough to care.
 




Trending Topics

Top