Private Parties

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gasp100, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

What are your thoughts on accepting private parties vs. club gigs? I've been doing quite well booking my coverband project in clubs but I've had some fans start to inquire (gently) about private parties.
    I don't know what to charge, I feel like full rate might be a bit much but I guess it depends on the circumstances?

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

greg, i make MORE money on private parties
    some of the nicest places i've played have been via private parties
    white tablecloths and everything:D

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

It depends on whether it's something casual, like a BBQ, or a Xmas party for a company or something.

I wouldn't do a casual for any less than a club date, and the same as a wedding for a fancy affair. You'd need pro production along with that, too.

4. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Usually 3X what we make in a bar. A regular gig at a bar will probably book you 8-12 times in a year. That private party only books you once...

5. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I love playing private parties. Me personally I give cut rates IF the folliwng happens. Free food, I can put out a tip jar, and we only play 2 sets.

I played a BBQ last Summer for 150.00 band charge with a tip jar and we all walked away with 100 dollars apiece by the end, full bellies, and 2 more private party gigs.

OTOH if you give a cut rate you could short yourselves. I've had that happen too. Actually blew up an amp because our AC feed was on the same circuit as the pool motor..That wasn't a good night.

Mostly though I've had great experiences doing private parties.

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Be prepared for the host to commandeer the mic. Sometimes to make announcements, others to insist guest B sing a song. It just comes with the territory.

7. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Private parties, weddings etc. That's where the money is at. Like someone said, get a feel for it and what they expect. We normally roll with decent production. Sometimes due to circumstances, we might not use our light rig and the full setup. We can give a deal in those instances, because it's basically a house party.

But yeah, go for it!

8. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Private parties are more money.

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

My Rush tribute did one for a diehard fan's b-day two yrs. ago. We played the entire Hemispheres album and he was in tears. That was worth it right there.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I will feel it out - I was going to dismiss it but I think it makes sense to at least reach out to the person and get a feel for the situation. I know I'd have to get my mates on board for at least $100/person so that's $400 right there. Tip jar might not be a bad idea depending on circumstances. Yeah if it ends up being a corporate or big time party I'd go at least the rate of a club gig (~$700).

11. Greentone

Greentone Member

$400 is really really cheap for a private party gig.

12. teleman55

teleman55 Member

We played a wedding. They asked. They are big fans, seen us a bunch. We said we don't do weddings. They offered us a sum that caused us to say, "Yeah, sure!"
    It was real fun. Plus great food, booze, all with them insisting we must partake. Way different than the old "wedding band" gigs I remember doing when I was a kid in high school.

13. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I make 3x's what I make at clubs when doing private parties!

14. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

We cost 850 and it's a rural area. We'll do 3 hours or so with a couple really short breaks. Only reason I tend to not like them as much is we have to be a little bit more safe with the setlist. No 12 minute Cortez the Killer

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

If I never hear Cortez the Killer ever again it will be too soon. That alone makes it worth it.

;)

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I've not really enjoyed the private parties I've played over the years: weird set-ups, disinterested patrons (the problem here is everyone knows each other and don't want to look foolish dancing) extreme volume reduction required, the host wanting to do a song...I know others have had different experiences.

So I'd say hit them for 2x your bar price.

17. RCM78

RCM78 Member

At those rates you're giving it away and devaluing your band...

18. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

$400 a set with a 2 set minimum and a non refundable 50% deposit. If it is someone the band knows and they want a "good guy" price, then it's $300 a set with a 2 set minimum and 50% non refundable deposit.

If you charge by the set, then the client knows how much extra it will cost them if they ask you to play another set at the gig.

Also, these rates tend to weed out the serious client from the "dude, we totally have to have you guys play at our house!"

When a customer knows what the clubs are paying and ask why your rates are so much higher, just be honest and explain that the club books you once month for the whole year and if they are willing to do the same you will be more than happy to give them a better rate.

Also, have a contract ready that states the client is liable for any equipment damage due to faulty power or even their high school buddy that wants to sit in and tries to be cool by "dropping the mic" after they completely butcher Don't Stop Believing!

YMMV

19. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Our base rate if $1600 which is about double the going bar rate which is $800 in our town. That's for private parties, weddings etc. For bigger events, Halloween or NYE it's $2600, also if it's a big party, it's $2600 as well. . We can discount depending on circumstances. But we usually don't.

We don't play all the time, but we have 11 gigs on the books this year so far. It works out pretty good as we aren't interested in playing every weekend. For weddings we provide dinner music (MP3) a wireless mic for speeches Etc. I can even set up a secondary SOS setup for the ceremony if it's close. ($300 if it's at a different site)

People have a great time. Sometimes it's wierd. We played a curling bonspiel (tournament) and the first night everyone was glued to the windows watching the game. No dancing, barely any clapping. Yet between sets, they all told us how awesome we sounded. The next night, the curling ended early and the party was on.

We generally don't charge extra, normally playing from 9am - 2:00am - 2:30am-ish. One time we played until 4:30 am, it was nuts. We were ready to quit at 2:30 but they wanted more. Private party and there was about a dozen people left. We said show us the money and they all chipped in $20 or so each ($250 total) and we kept going. What the hell. Once the gear is all set up it's basically playtime.

NYE is already booked, contract is signed and we have a 50% non-refundable down payment: $2600, band members get 5 drink tickets and a +1. Everyone gets fed, so it will be a good time! I heard people are already looking for tickets!! Halloween will be booked in the next week or so as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  20. modulusman

modulusman Member

If you normally get $700.00 for a bar gig you should ask for at least a $1000.00. Even then that might be way too cheap. My best paying gig last year was a private party that paid our 4 piece $2500.00 and a meal. At the end of the night each band member also received a $100.00 bill as a tip. We are hired back to play the same event this year. You need to know the details of what you are getting into before you quote a price. At the party I mentioned above we were playing in a room that could hold a 1000 people easily. Your little PA would not cover it so you would either need to rent or hire sound.

Unlike a bar gig the person paying you probably isn't trying to make a profit on your band like a bar owner.