Pro Analog Dirt Royale With Cheeze

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

At the request of cubba65 I want to chime in on the new Dirt Royale with Cheeze. First, cosmetically it looks slightly different than the Dual Drive and Power Driver. Instead of Marshall style knobs it has old school black knobs kinda like an MXR pedal. It has a blue channel and a red cheeze channel. I would say that it is a more gain overdrive and distrotion that is articulate and open sounding but I do not hear the "hi-gain" modern tones which is good as I do not need or like those nu-metal tones. The cool thing is the Feed knob which allows you to blend a Ge Mullard tranny into the silicon tranny for a truer vintage distortion/OD sound. I would say that the pedal fits between the Power Driver clean boost and the medium gain tones of the red channel on the Dual Drive. I really like the lead sounds from this pedal and the blue channel on its own has a nice chime and some grit without too much distortion. At times this pedal also has a vintage RAT like sound but with more articulation and less compression. It does also have a slight fuzz like response. I have only used it at 9 volts so far but will try it and probably use it a 12 volts once the Trailer Trash board is done. As with all of Scotty's pedals, this one is very amplike and blends well with an amp rather than sitting on top of the direct sound. I use a late 70's Marshall Super Lead non-master volume head and 4x12" Vintage 30 loaded Marshall cab. The amp was reworked by Kevin Silva of Uncle Albert's Amps who incidentally helped Scotty with the boards on these pedals. Again, this DRw/C is a winner and I hope Scotty continues to intro new pedals for a long time. For classic rock and heavy blues this is a terrific pedal-highly recommended.

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Wait til you hear his Boost Royale w/Cheeze. I was able to get a sneak preview at his place a couple weeks ago. This thing is going to be bad ass indeed.

Jeff

3. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Todd, thanks for the review!
    I haven't really heard much about this pedal. A little bit from Scotty but that's it, so it's good to hear a first hand review.
    Would you say that it is capable of more or less gain than the Dual Drive's Red channel?
    I like what you say about it being classic rock to heavy blues. I'm assuming from this it is a tighter distortion, more in the Rat / DOD250 / MXR Distortion+ world of crunchdom, with some fuzz and color mixed in.
    I don't think Scotty's done one like this before ... got pix?
    :D

4. todd richman

You are correct cubba. Definitley more Dist+ or Rat like with much better touch sensitivity and not harsh like an MXR. The gain is thicker and a bit more hi-gain than the Dual Drive. I like to send the Dual Drive Green channel into the full blown Dirt Royale with red channel(cheeze) on for a searing yet slightly fluid lead sound. Through a 100 watt plexi it sings and causes the best resonance I have ever felt into the guitar's fingerboard when standing near the amp. Another great pedal indeed!

5. muddy

muddy Member

and i've got one, along with a powerdriver, coming to ME-E-e-e-e-e!!!!!! :dude

ml

6. Lefty

Lefty Member

7. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I should have mine soon...looking forward to that then the fuzz royale....should be some good stuff.

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I can't hardly wait to put my order in for one of these badboys!!!

-TJK

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Forgot to ask, how do you find the "Pull Phase" control changes the sound, character and response of the pedal? THANKS!

-TJK

10. todd richman

The pull phaze is very subtle. I think it fattens up the sound a little bit. It may also smooth things out ever so slightly. I found another interesting setting where the Feed is set at about 1-2:00. You definitley hear more of a fuzz tone there. When the Feed is fully cw the silicon and ge trannies blend together to form a fuller distortion/drive sound.

11. telemonk

telemonk Member

Just got mine the other day and haven't played it much but it initially reminded me of the Keeley Fuzzhead with an extra switch the way you can toggle between silicon and germanium feels and the way it seems to be a vintage distortion deal that behaves somewhat like a fuzz and has some fuzz character. I'll get a chance to play it with a band tonight...

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awesome Todd, thanks a lot for your comments and review, thats great. Pay day just can't come fast enough, haha.

-TJK

13. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Jeez Andy, I didn't know you got one.
    I look forward to hearing your (and everyone else's) opinons on the DR here, plus everyone who's already chimed in.

I wasn't ready for another pedal purchase, but damn, I think I'm gonna' have to find funds yet again .........

14. telemonk

telemonk Member

Yeah I bought it from agentcooper2001 on the down low before it hit the classifieds. I saw he was getting one and told him i'd take it off his hands if he decided to sell it. I kinda knew he would because he's always buying pedals and then selling them to finance something like a bad Cat 30 or london 65 amp or something similar that takes the price of the Dirt Royale and adds another digit to it! He's a real cool guy and sure enough he emailed me when he was getting ready to fund another monster amp.

I had a RX overdriver (twice actually) and i thought that was a pretty cool pedal. The character of the DR is definitly much different then that. I still haven't gotten a chance to really work it out; the little I've played it still leaves me with the impression that it's similar in character to the fuzzhead but with that extra "cheese" switch. Which is cool. I really dig the fuzzhead even though it got dissed on this board the one time I brought it up....Can't really pass judgement though until i can open the DR up. The directions expilicitly state: "Alert! Not made for the bedroom!" So I nbeed to really take the mans advice before making that comparison definitive.

15. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I'm glad you like it Andrew. It's a really cool pedal. I only sold it to scrape some funds together to by that Matchless SC-30. I'm thinking with that amp, I won't really need a distortion pedal, so I may go with the Power Driver and see how that sounds with it. Or maybe just the classic Dual Drive to push the C-30 over the top.

What do you guys think of those pedals with a Matchless amp?

16. todd richman

Please share your favorite Dirt Royale settings (in o'clock manner).

17. telemonk

telemonk Member

Hah! See? I told y'all! Matchless SC-30. DAAAAAAAAMNNNN!
    The boy deals in four digit prices, I'm stuck with three. :( Like I said I'm not sure about it yet; I need to really get to open it up before I deem it a "keeper." The Dual Drive is a real "Love it or Hate it" type of pedal......I think Cubba uses it through a Vox 15 and 30...I've never played a Matchless much less played a DD through one...What happened to the Bad Cat?

18. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I sold the Bad Cat to another forum member here. It was a great amp, but I just wanted a combo and to try something else for a while.

19. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Si, telemonk is correctamundo, I do use the Dual Drive (and the Power Driver) with my Vox Ac15 & 30. Very good fit for both amps. I use the 15 a lot more (less overall volume) than the 30, and the Power Driver stacked with the Dual Drive gives me a nice thick crunch-tone with the added treble from the PD.
    It's really hard to turn off the PD at all. It's like the Klon in that respect.
    I'd say that the Matchless has a helluvalot more treble available tho' than my AC15. But the 15 has the midrange to die for!

20. telemonk

telemonk Member

I was wrong about the keeley Fuzzhead comparison. The fuzzhead tend to be to bright and you need the trimmer to roll off the highs (and i like a bright sound) and the Dirt royale tends to be darker in character. They also sound very differet so just forget i mentioned it. Ok? Ok.:D The fuzzhead sounds great as a lead or boost type pedal; the DR is more versatile because of the cheese switch and sounds better for light/medium od rythyms...

My favorite setting was the feed maxed to the right (Mullard blended with silicon), gain around two, tone maxed, level just above unity which I thinkwas around two. I ran it with a Zvex super duper (yellow channel always on) and a menatone kar krash set to higher gain. late 80's '62 reissue strat with suhrs through an old 60's Ampeg Gemini I during a rehearsel. I don't get to totally open the amp up so I'm not getting the most out of any of the pedals but this still was a great sounding set up. The DR has a great natural sounding drive. I was using it as a nice medium type od for rythym and then kicking on either the "cheese", Kar Krash or red channel of the duper for leads. I would like the pedal to be a little brighter. I had the tone maxed and would have liked a bit more to play with but I don't totally trust myself with this yet because of where I had to stand relative to the amp. (To close imo.) I would not say it's super saturated hi gain type pedal; just a very natural sounding overdrive/distortion. I have a feeling that like the super duper-which sounds friggin killer through the Ampeg-that it won't sound quite as sweet through the Musicman i sometimes play through...Anyway so far so good. I really like it...It was MUCH easier to plug in and play and find a setting to stick with then the dual drive. Which is not that easy to do that with imo.....A simpler, more straight forward pedal. I probably like it better for that reason. It was very consistent throughout the night; I've never had that experience with the DD. Sometimes it'll sound killer and then it won't depending on the song...And i never got a great feel with how to work the bark and bite vs the gain knobs...But the DR is very user friendly. So far I definitly dig it......Let me know if you want to check the DD out Curt...I could loan you mine for a test through the matchless. It has some cool sounds in it imo but it is NOT an easy pedal for me to get a handle on...