Pro Analog (Dual Drive vs. Dirt Royale w/Cheese)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Monster Plexi, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Hey all,

I've done searches on the forum and have learned some info about each pedal. I have also listened to Fatback's video clips of the Dirt Royale but have not found many user sound clips of either pedal. Musictoyz does have clips of the Dual Drive but nothing else.

For you guys that have direct experience with each (and pro analog tour box guys), what we're the main gain/tone differences between the pedals and what did you like/dislike about each one? How similar in tone/gain are they?

Best Regards,
    MP

2. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I owned a Dual Drive for a month or two but didn't like it enough to keep it, got a Power Driver which I love and recently acquired a Dirt Royale with Cheeze and that's a keeper too.

What put me off the Dual Drive was:
    a) feel - it was "hard" feeling in my setup, seemed to make my rig sound smaller and imparted a rather nasal feel
    b) 2 channel design - I found the way the green and red channel were voiced meant I couldn't get gain/volume levels of the 2 channels set up the way I wanted and still keep my base tone the way I wanted with the DD off.
    c) control/jack layout - I don't like push pull controls because they inevitably get knocked when I play live. Also the "reversed" input and output jacks are what I consider user-unfriendly on a pedalboard.

The dirt royale has a more pleasant feel to me. the feed knob means you can dial in how direct/fast or spongey you want it to feel, the basic sound is very dynamic and the cheeze adds a nice feel/voice in the way of more grit, dirt, roughness which is quite nice. In my setup, I find I have to crank the tone knob quite a lot to get "neutral" so I would say it is voiced quite dark. Plenty of volume boost available too and despite also having a push/pull knob which I don't like, the input and output jacks are regular which is good. I like the clean-up factor of the DRWC a lot too. the DD was being hyped for doing this very well when it came out by I found it nothing special for that. I recently jammed a bit with a friend who commented that it will definitely get you heard in a band situation (even with guitar volume rolled back) so be aware it commands a lot of sonic territory (a good or a bad thing, depending how you use it!)

Hope that helps!
    Chris

PS Love the Power Driver loads... but you didn't ask about that! ;)

3. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Chrissy,

That's a wealth of info... thanks much!

I guess the Dirt Royale was initially more appealing than the power driver due to more controls over the sound.

Do youi know where I could find any more lips of all three?

Is there any way to get in touch with Scotty so I can place an order for a Dirt Royale? I know his web site is down.

I'll keep my eye out for a used Dirt Royale as well.

Thanks again for all the info.

Best Regards,
    MP

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Chrissy hit the nail on the head, echoing my experience with both pedals pretty much to a T. The "Dual" in Dual Drive is a bit of a misnomer, and does injustice to the pedal. With that kind of name you go into it thinking you're going to get two different OD tones. I could never get them individually dialled in either, but with the DRWC, the "Cheeze" kicks in more gain/compression; a little bit to take you over the top (similar to the DD) and it's not billed as another "Channel".

I also found the DRWC dark, though my rig is generally pretty bright (or detailed, or hifi, call it whatever - Strat, EMGs, Twin Reverb). It's certainly not a flat EQ pedal. There are more controls but as with the DD, the range is very subtle. I did not notice a huge dramatic change with many of the knobs on both pedals.

In the end I got rid of both for other gear acquisitions.

5. fatback

fatback Member

My experience with both pedals has been a bit different.

The Dual-Drive has been a great tool for me. As an od that also works as a great clean boost, it is quite versatile. I'd say that this isn't a very bedroom friendly pedal. It doesn't sound nearly as good into a clean or turned down amp, but with a tube amp on the edge of break-up, it's a beautiful sounding pedal. It can turn my mellow old Deluxe reverb into a raging rock machine. I highly reccomend using it at 12volts.

The Dirt Royale is an amazing little pedal. Not a two-channel pedal, but more of a single channel with a "blow out" switch. As for the DR being dark, I wasn't getting that at all. I could get all the edge and cut I needed, with humbuckers no less. I have described the eq as "flat" before and what I meant is that the pedal doesn't impose a hard character on your rig and really lets the guitar's natural tone come through. Something to bear in mind, is that the knobs are quite interactive. The two center knobs especially seem to influence each other.

Anyways, I just wanted to chime in with my experiences. Scotty's pedals pedals aren't a cover-all, but really integrate between the guitar and amp to bring out their best. For me the name Pro Analog says it all.

As for your original question... I'd go with the D.R.
    :AOK

6. fatback

fatback Member

I forgot to add before, that the best person to talk to about the differences between the Dual-Drive and the Dirt-Royale and which would best suit your rig and needs would be Scotty himself. The best way to contact him right now is via a PM to the_pedal_nazi .

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/member.php?u=8334

:)

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks for posting...I went through two DDs thinking there was something wrong with either me or the pedal. May have to look into a Dirt Royale. :)
    Greg

8. Ned

Ned Member

i own a Pro Analog Dual Drive and love it! it gets the most use out of all the other OD's i own and as fatback described, the "flat" eq helps alot to retain my original tone to create something new and originial, aka my OWN tone. It is especially great in live situations where you are really able to open up the sound of the pedal and let the monster roar

9. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Fatback,

Thanks very much for your response! My live rig is a Victoria 35 (super model) head into a reissue Marshall 4x12. I went with the Victoria over other amps I have because of it being a little lower in volume, I could get it closer to breakup. I use a kit Esquire and a Tom Anderson Drop Top for the live guitars.

Sounds like either pedal could possible work for me. I'll send Scotty a PM and see what he'd recommend.

Thanks again for your additional insight... Your video clips are excellent and most informative. :AOK

Best Regards,
    MP

10. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

+1 to everything fatback sez

My impressions of the DD and DRwC were very similar to fatback's. I happen to prefer the DRwC but also have a DD. Both pedals are awesome!

Cheers,
    McE

11. Sid

Sid Member

hmm the dirt royale.....sound interesting..

LOVE THE CHEESE!!!!:crazyguy

cant seem to find any soundclips!!anyone??

12. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

13. Sid

Sid Member

Thanks..

note to self:Always search TGP first:dude