Pro Analog MkII

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ned, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Ned

Ned Member

i am very interested in going into FUZZ territory now-a-days, and with my board only being filled with overdrives, im trying to find a fuzz that will work well with Les Pauls. One of my favorite players being Jimmy Page, of course using the tonebender MKII, made this one of my choices (also the fact that i own and love the Pro Analog Dual Drive) and i was wondering how the pro analog version compared to others? i was also looking at the BJF Pink Purple Fuzz which seems to be a more smooth germ style fuzz (i also love early hendrix) any help would be very grateful!!

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I just got a Fulltone Soul Bender on trade today and I really dig the pedal. Thick, chewey and way adjustable for the type of fuzz.

Slamming my Cornish SS-2 with it, while my LP is backed off a bit is such a meltdown in a pretty way!

Edit-I had a Mk11 for some time and I could not get it to warm up. Stayed to spatty for my taste.
    M.E.

3. Filter428

Filter428 Member

This dude David knows fuzz! The Meathead is one of the best I've tried. I haven't tried his MK II but if it's anything like the Meathead I'm sure it's amazing. Of course, you can't go wrong with anything Scotty makes!

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/

4. fatback

fatback Member

When I got a MKII in the Emporium a year ago it was also a little sputtery. I talked to Scotty and he tuned it up for me at no cost other than shipping. Now my MKII totally blooms and rages fuzz and is simply explosive with a tele's bridge pickup!

Scotty is like a proud Pop with his boxes and wants to be sure they stay healthy, long after the initial sale.
    :AOK

m.e.- I know some folks requested their MKII's to be built with the bias backed off a bit. You may have encountered one of those. Glad to hear you are liking the S.B. Be sure to bring it with you if you ever make it up to SF.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey John,

A low setting may have been the issue. I tend to look for that Pumpkins'esque type of fuzz.

I tried a Soulbender many moons ago and I recall not liking it. I dunno what happened but I am just way too stoked on what is oooozzing out now!

You know, I gotta tell you, I can't believe the riteous tone that you are getting from that Princeton and the many pedals! Super chewey and articulate at the same time. The tone of each guitar comes through in spades!

I dunno how you's dunnit, but I know you's dunnit!!

June is toast. Hmm, or maybe the end of June will work. I would like to come up and hang. If not June, perhaps the middle of July.

How does your ssshhedule look? Perhaps your people can get a hold of my people.....

M.E.

Trying to organize an East Bay tonefest. Interested? Big Mike is bringing the Tequila!

6. duende

duende Member

I highly reccomend the MKII. Mine... contrary to the ones thus far discussed here was not sputtery at all. And instead is very smooth.

I think Scotty can pretty much dial them in to how you want 'em. I know he's in the process of building and extra sputterynasty one for a buddy of mine.

If you do get one... don't be surprized if it doesn't bump one of your od's off your board. Seriously... they clean up that nice!

Alex

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I bought a MKII on ebay, which my brother in law promptly snaffled. He's got a huge fuzz thing going (and I hardly use it) so he's got a much better baseline to compare. He tells me that the MkII is basically like the best Tonebender he's ever played. I tried it before sending it on, and was mightily tempted to keep it. It doesn't do the Fuzz Face, low gain, back off to clean up thing too well, but for a thick, expressive fuzz with no harshness it sounds great. I tried it with strats, thinline tele, EMGs, Seth Lovers and found it worked great with all. This particular one had 3 hand picked, NOS Germanium transistors: 1 Mullard, 1 Hitachi and one something else-so Scotty's obviously tuning each unit by hand. Highly recommended (and cheaper than the Way Huge modded fuzz, which is the only unit I liked better for this type of gain).

8. nek

nek Member

Got a MKII with the OC81 upgrade collecting dust on the shelf.

9. Ned

Ned Member

how olds the MkII nek? any interest in possibly selling it?

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The Best Fuzz that I have ever heard is the MK2. Scotty nailed the Page thing

11. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

If you can't score a ProAnalog MK-II (I owned 2) look at the MJM 2-knob Britbender.....it's a great MK-II clone as is MJM's 3-knob Britbender.