Pro Analog Supa Quack Wah- My Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, May 9, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I scored a virtually brand new Supa Quack wah on here last week in a trade from TGP member "leumasjames" (props, Sam!) and just got it a few hours ago from the mailman. Below are my thoughts on the pedal, incase anyone is interested.

I exchanged a few e-mails with Scotty last week seeking details on my "new" wah. He said that he just built it a few weeks ago and that it was one of the best ones he made using all the good NOS parts and what not. As you'll see in the below pictures it's in one of the black cases and has a very stealthy look to it. I dig it. The build quality of this thing is phenomenal- atleast compared to some other wahs that I've tried over the years. As you'll see, all the parts are top quaity from the tropical fish caps to the Wima parts.

As for the sound... I was very pleasantly surprised with how awsome this thing sounds with both clean and gain. The clean wah especially shocked me! It's so sweet sounding with no irritating top-end at all. With the wah all the way forward (toe down) you hear your original signal with a bit more treble added. That's what I like. My other wahs all had piercing high end with the toe down. Ontop of that, it sounds amazing through the whole spectrum of the sweep. From bottom to top. Just awsome with cleans. As for gain... It does *great* with gain, too- even fuzz. It can have fuzz (or any gain for that matter) either before or after the wah, and there's a small difference only. I used it with my Skreddy Zero which is uber high-gain and you could very clearly hear the "wahwah" sound. Amazing amount of clarity for a wah. My only issue with this wah (and it's not really that big of an issue) is that I wish it had a tad more sweep. Like I said, it's not that big of an issue for me, but it'd be nice to have that luxury. I'd sacrifice a long sweep range for a short one any day of the week if the rest of the wah was like this...

I know that probably wasn't the best review, but I tried. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them! I'm gonna' do some clips of this thing later on in the week, but for now I'm gonna' go play it some more :D Hope you guys found my review helpful!

Best,

Marko M.

P.S. I've never been much of a wah guy, but I'm starting to dig them more and more. Would like to try out the Tycobrahe and ZVex wahs for myself next...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Crap. Now I want to try one. These babies are pretty pricey, though, right? Long wait time?

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Paul, yeah, they're pretty pricey at $400, I guess (though not as pricey as some other wahs)... as for the wait... I've heard it's quite long (like up to a year), but I'm no expert... Best to contact Scotty! He's a very nice guy. Sorry I gave you GAS :( NOT!!! :D

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Cool, well maybe I'll get on the list and try to forget about it.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey Andrew,

It's the actual tonal sweep that I speak of. Physical sweep is perfect.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

jeebus! four beans for a wah. . . i never would have thunk it. . . good thing i love my buddha. . .i used to think THAT was a lot of money for a wah. . . .

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yeah, it's a pricey pedal, but like I said, I got it in a trade (and still got $150 ontop of it), so I didn't actually pay the full price or anything like that. Also, I don't know how I would wait a year for a wah! haha.

I just played it and it just sounds so great... the more I play it the less I notice the limited sweep as you learn to work with the sweep Scotty has allowed and it's just totally great. I've used it with all my fuzzes now and works equally great with each one- even my WILDEST and most spittiest fuzz- the Dirty Boy Fuzzy Boy... That's saying something, IMO!!! Also, I'm really digging the "stealth" look it has. These wahs are ridiculously well built, too.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

So after spending the whole day with the SQ, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably the best wah I've played yet for clean playing, and is also VERY VERY good for the dirty/fuzzy playing, too. I might ever so slightly prefer my pic wah for that, though they're fairly different with gain, so it's hard to say. It's too bad more people don't own these- I know the price may be prohibitive, but if you're spending that much on other pedals, why not wah? it's not "just a wah"...