pro and cons: Connie, 65 london, bruno ug-30, guytron gt-100, clubman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearlovin, Nov 30, 2005.

1. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

Hi guy's,

Now I'm gasing for 5 amps, I try to decide wich one too choose but as I can't try them( i'm in quebec,canada), I need your help.

Consider my 3 amps for now: Komet 60, Sewell wampus cat, and Maven Peal RG-88 (on order) and that i'm mainly playing blues and rock.

here is the pro and con I have think of.

Connie:
    Pro: seem to be a f****n great rock amp :D , all the clips sound cool.
    Con: I already play a komet 60 as my lead amp, don't know if they are too similar sounding, maybe too loud.

65 london:
    Pro: Seem to be a versatile amp, 2 channels.
    Cons: Affraid that it won't be loud enough for smaller gig unmiked

Bruno ug-30:
    Pro: seem to have the best reverb ever, as one of the best sound.
    Con's I cannot find lot of info about it, I know Tag raves about it.

Guytron gt-100 or fv:
    Pro: I like the concept, the versatility, the master volume.
    Cons: Is it only versatile or the tone are on equal with those list before?

Matchless Clubman:
    Pro: There is somethin about this amp, that make me wanna try it. Seem to have great sound in it
    Cons: I've heard that the bass is flubby, it's another el-34 amp, I'm more lookin to get another flavor then what I already have.
    but keep lookin back to this amp once an then

so any info about those amp will be very appreciated.
    Or other suggestions????
    What will you choose?
    thanks

carl

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I've had or have all of those. I'm at the office right now, but the only one remaining is the Connie, I have two. Many of your cons on the others are what I thought. The Connie sounds great, loud but not too loud whereas I found the London too quiet unless mic'd through the monitors. I like the Connie better than the Bruno for my tone. I like the Phoenix better than the Clubman but I still like the Connie. Another great versatile amp is a Top Hat Ambassador.

3. gearlovin

Between the connie and the k60 wich one would you us for lead and wich one for rythm?

as for the london if I used it only for rythm do you think it will be loud enough?

thanks

carl

4. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

If I were in your position, I'd be all over the Connie. I can't think of any con for that amp, other than you may need to use a attenuator to get alot of od at lower volumes.

I thought about the 65, but came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be loud enough at gigs or have enough clean headroom.

My friend had a clubman and it was cool, but just not my sound. I'm not a big fan of EL-34's. I have no idea about the other two amps you mentioned.

So, my vote goes for the double Komet setup.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Whether the 65 is loud enough for a small gig or not depends entirely on your drummer.

I gigged mine at a small club a little over a week ago and it was fine. The soundman, who was all the way in the back of the room, said he could hear it plenty fine in all but the wildest drumming moments. It was not miked up at all.

--chiba

6. gearlovin

Do you used it for lead too?

My drummer is average-louder kind of drummer
    but i just need it for rythm so dont have to pass over the mix or to cut in the lead.

So I suppose it will be loud enough
    I was using a kinglsey on the 15 w one time.

thanks

carl

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I don't understand thinking the Guytron is only versatile and question whether or not it has any tone. The only thing I can think of with a statement like that is the amp you listened to had bad tubes.

Everyone has their preferences but the Guytron has hardly an amp lacking tone. I will admit the JJ El-84s give the amp a little more sparkle then the original Sovteks after that the tube pre-amp tube changes only slightly alter the amps character. You can use the amp at any volume to get any tone.

My only negative would be the weight but I say that because my last amp was a Victoria Deluxe.

8. gearlovin

ok sorry I try to reformulate my question in a context, cause sometime my english go against me ( i normally speak french
    :D)

The guytron seem to be the best choice for what I want, but everytime I have buy a versatile multi channel the sound was cool but not up to par with other single channel amp. I just want to know if you take each channel of the guytron individually are they as good as the other amp of the thread?

as for the weight it's not a problem I was gigging with a maven peal ganesha :D
    Just please do not tell me that the guytron is heavier then the ganesha :p

thanks

carl

9. johnc

johnc Member

I've played both the Guytron and the 65 London. The 65 has a much rawer and organic tone than the Guytron. I really liked the 65 personally and thought it was suprisingly loud. The Guytron lead channel is really smoothe and refined sounding to my ear. The Guytron tones are cool too, but they are different.

To best understand the Guytron, it's necessary to look at what it really is. It's like having a small amp and being able to crank the piss out of it and then run that sound through the power amp of a 100 watt Marshall. In the Guytron's case the smaller amp would probably be most like a Vox AC 15, but more refined sounding.

I believe that the people that don't end up liking the Guytron are the ones that are looking for more of an 80's Metal type of guitar sound (a la Judas Priest). The reason that the Guytron doesn't work well for this is because its tone is based on cranking a Vox AC 15. The last I checked there were no 80's metal guitar wizards using a Vox AC 15 as the basis for their tone. So it doesn't surprise me that some are disappointed with the Guytron if that is what you were aiming for.

If you are looking for an amp that has a lot of ka-chunk when palm muting, I'd look for amps that are based more on pre-amp tube distortion that are also in the Marshall family of guitar tone.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It's hard for to say if the Guytron is as good as the other amps. First off, I would be stating an opinion which could get anyone into hot water and second, I haven't heard all the amps your mentioning.

What I like about the Guytron is does many things very well/excellent but is easy to get great sounds out of it. For example, I played a Mesa Dual Rectifier and while the distorion channel is good, I found the clean channel to be severely lacking. Actually, it seems like all Mesa amps exibit this characteristic.

The Guyton has it done right. So far I have been able to dial up any sound I have wanted to duplicate whether it's squeaky clean, mild grit, medium grit. or full distortion. I think the key to the amp is how the eq works. The eq really allows the user to adjust your guitar just the way you want. It's really like having two eq centers compared to most amps which just offer a couple controls, usually bass and treble with the occasional midrange and presence. I can use any guitar and get great tone out of it, it seems like a lot of amps mate better with certain instruments. I have not played a single amp to date that has this degree of flexibility.

11. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Custom By Cougar Thunderbird (www.custombycougar.com) is a suggestion. A bit quicker response than the Connie, more choclate brown distortion. A bit like the response from a K60 but the complexity of a Vox with some marshall flavor :rolleyes: . Great amp ;) . AND it has a great built in attenuator which makes it usable for smaller gigs. The (almost) cleans are amazing among the best i have ever heard (along with Skrydstrup and CAA OD100). Depending of how you want Cougar to tweak it it can have ALOT of gain (mine has :dude sound a lot like John Jorgenssons tone one Hellecasters first CD on the track where he uses a lot of liquid gain ) or a great Texas blues power sound.

12. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

+1 on the Guytron. It sounds great from clean to mean. A lot of amps have great clean, crunch, or blistering overdrive, but when you want the in between sounds, they can be somewhat uninspiring. When you combine the tonal controls with the voicing options of the FV, it makes for an amp that can more than hold it's own in many different situations.

13. gearlovin

how heavy is the guytron?

how does it weight?

thanks

carl

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

It is kind of on the heavy side, but believe it's lighter than a Ganesha if that helps.:cool:

15. johnc

johnc Member

On a bathroom scale mine weighs 48 lbs.

16. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I found the K60 and the Connie to definitely sound/feel different. If I were jonesing for a marshall like amp again, the K60 would be my first pic over any other marshall like amps....for many different reasons (tube swapping, bias ports, effects loop, slow/fast switch, build quality, Mike & Hogy are good people). I want a K60 .

The connie is an incredible amp, and I'm gasing for one bad....I don't think it's too loud for gigging...maybe for the bedroom for some...but I dig the blended preamp approach, the choice of tubes, the ability to footswitch one out. The only con for me is the need to use a line out on an attenuator in order to run a wet/dry rig in order to get some reverb on the connie..which I think would sound great for blues/rock.
    I have never played a UG-30...my only concern stems from having heard from some that it needs to be opened up quite a bit in order to earn that reputation it has for such incredible tone. Perhaps someone can comment on that.

I love the concept for the Guytron and am gassing for one of those as well. The concept is one of the more innovative ideas I see imho. I think it has a great master volume, and the tones are great on both ends of hte spectrum...great gain tones, along with a great chimey clean...very very useable tones for blues/rock.

I think with my CR TR Sig, a Guytron, a Connie, a K60 and an Aiken Invader.....I swear I could be completely content... :D I think perhaps the Guytron would be redundant with the K60 from a gain channel perspective.... the Guytron gets credit for the clean channel, and the K60 gets credit for the tube swapping.

Good luck with your quandry....and just when you think you've finish the search of a lifetime choosing a head, get ready to immerse yourself in the search for the right speakers.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i just got the Guytron GT-100 (original, non-FV) from Boog, and HOLY CRAP, what a terrific amp! the cleans actually blew me away. w/ the tone knob, and the accompanying EQ section, i could coax a ton of tones. no doubt, if the original is like this, i can only imagine how much better the "FV" is. :cool:

the UG30 is a great little amp, but keep in mind, its single channel. cleans have a smokey fat edge to them, but it can be a little difficult to dial in. not voxy at all, but fatter still.

the Constellation while a terrific amp was quite bright. also, the overdrive had a sort of glass shards quality to it, that was very hard to dial out. VERY different from the Komet 60, which is an unreal amp of its own right.

IMHO, the only thing going against the Guytron is the sheer size, but i'm toughing it out, and its been rewarding me quite well.

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not for me! All knobs at 12, and just KILLER tone at any volume. From a whisper to ear shattering loud. Listen to the clips at my site. I have them at all volumes, and with all different guitars. I think the clips sound dead on to what the amp sounds like. For me and guitar player magazine, its as good as it gets.

:cool:

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

One con for the UG30 to me was lack of grind... it won't give up as much as I was seeking. But you could probably get it there with pedals if that worked for you.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

UG 30 Grind straight into the amp, no pedal.....6th clip down here. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

A pedal would give you far more as you know. I HIGLLY reccomend the Fulltone Fulldrive II or T.Rex Mudhoney. :)