Pro Co Rat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hound Dog61, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

I am thinking about buying a Rat, is there any model that is better? I don't want to spend a bunch of money so an original is out of the question. Ant info on it would be great. I haven't ever heard one n real life, what are they good at? School me!:)

2. whiskypete

whiskypete Member

I picked up a used 88 small box for $175 on craigslist. I don't know if that's a lot for you, but it sounded way better than the $100 new one we had at Sam Ash when I worked there. I think it was worth the price jump.

3. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

I really like the dirty rat. Made in the U.S. and $100 new or about $65 used. If I were spending a little more I'd spring for the alpha dog for its extra clipping and shaping options.

4. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

I have a 90's reissue big box Rat (with 308chip (the important factor)) that I picked up for peanuts 2nd hand so if you really are looking for the classic RAT sound they are always worth looking out for.

What I will say is though, if you are on a budget the modern Rat pedal is a damned fine unit and as cheap as chips.

It seems to have a little more gain on tap than the 308 chiped ones and has a wider frequency responce that gives it a slightly brighter, more modern sound that for some players will make it a much better choice.

Try one out before you listen to the nay sayers.

5. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a VFE Alpha Dog and I think that is going to do it for me. If you can't spring for a modded rat or one of the older white face ones, you might want to consider one of the boutique alternatives that have smoothed out the original version a bit. CMATMODS makes a Ratified (and their old Black Plague was similar), the VFE Alpha Dog is ultra tweakable, and there are a few others out there. Search around here and you'll find a thread. I've owned several Rats including the Turbo Rat, the Vodka Mods modded Rat, an the Monte Allums modded Rat. If you're good with a soldering iron, the Monte mod is a good option on one of the cheaper versions. Just make sure to research which version he wants you to start with!

6. pattismc

pattismc Member

i heard the older ones are better when modded by keeley

7. niclake13

niclake13 Member

I've got an old RAT2 w/ the LM308 chip I'm looking at selling.

8. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

+1 VFE Alpha Dog...it's a killer killer Rat clone with more options/tweaks

9. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking to stay under 100.00. Not too sure which route to take, but I currently have a cheapo tubescreamer and a Daddy-O. I want something different from those two, I do know that much.

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

the old ones already sound good.

new ones are better when modded by keeley.

11. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

Just got a brand new RAT2 for $77 on Amazon and it sounds pretty damn good through my VOX AC15C1. Don't really understand all the hatred for the new Chinese made version.

12. Fuzzgun91

Fuzzgun91 Member

I got a ProCo Turbo RAT for about $60. Totally worth it. Can go anywhere from Minutemen/Pixies to Melvins.

If you are going for one of the cheap RATs get the Turbo instead of the RAT2.

13. markmantle

markmantle Member

get a byoc or ggg clone... they are in your price range and can be made to sound like the most expensive rat/rat clone (landgraff)... I have the byoc mouse and it is a great great pedal.

14. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Im a huge RAT lover, its the only dist/od that I like, every time it gives me great tones, the best is the whiteface old version its the top of the RATs ;-) its the only RAT with too much treble but full detal and clarity of original sounds, harmonics jumps out so much that its pure tone heaven (and its TB in its original form)

15. mjl9787

mjl9787 Member

For $50 on ebay you can get one of the chinese rat2s and after about $6 in components you can mod it to sound like any model you want.

16. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

buy a whiteface reissue. they're slammin' - plus their limited editions so you won't take a hit on resale if you don't like it.

17. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

If you can find a used Keeley modded Rat, I'd go for that one. I had one a few years ago and sold it....DOH! Want another. Very nice!

18. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the Turbo and Dirty rats? I'm looking for a crunchy overdrive. I have a Reeza for high-gain, but I want an overdrive that is clear, but still kinda...dirty and not too tame...

19. Fuzzgun91

Fuzzgun91 Member

Sounds like the Turbo RAT. Left side of the gain knob is an overdrive, right side is distortion. Very uncompressed. Right side gives a low-end bump that gives a thick fuzzy tone. Left side though, gives a bit of a high-end bump, but can be filtered out with Filter knob.

Its a great pedal... especially considering how cheap it can be found on eBay.

20. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

The Sonic Youth fanboy in me likes this. I hear it has less gain than the Rat 2?