Pro/Con: HSS guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., May 29, 2019.

1. trap

trap Supporting Member

How many threads are there about boost pedals for solos? And yet the the argument is that the HB is a boost? That’s exactly why I like it!
    I don’t need no stinking boost!
    And when wired with the coil closest to the bridge active it splits really nicely.

stratzrus and bobcs71 like this.
  2. msquared

msquared Member

I grew up listening to the hair metal and shred rock of the '80s and early '90s, so to some extent the HSS sound is what I consider "normal" out of guitars.

And while a coil split humbucker at the bridge isn't exactly the same as a slightly angled single coil, by the time you pass it through effects and an amp and the room and the band, splitting that particular hair is a tough sell for me.

stratzrus likes this.
  3. LTigh

LTigh Member

I see no cons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hear no cons, either.

4. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Thanks to this little ripper I am officially in the HSS camp. This guitar is the closest I have come to the Holy Grail or Swiss Army Knife.

[​IMG]

5. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

I had an American Standard that I modded to HSS back in the 90s with Texas Specials neck and mid and a JB in the bridge. This was my main guitar for about 7 years and I used it for everything. It was set up to automatically split the ‘bucker in position 2, and it quacked pretty well. I also had installed Sperzels, and as a result it held tune amazingly well. Wouldn’t mind getting that guitar back someday.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I have one HSS guitar for sale simply because I prefer 2 pickup guitars better. My experience has been that a guitar that does a bit too much never really excels at anything and I’d rather be limited to 3 positions and have them be perfect at their “thing” than 5 positions where 3 are just “good” and 2 are “ok”.

Part of it may be that I just haven’t found the right mix of pickups. I’ve done the resistor tricks to balance out the tones and that’s a must IMHO, but maybe I just needed some hot single coils in there to circumvent having to use a compressor and keep the blend a bit more natural. I’ve never had a Strat I could keep so I think I’m just not a fan of Strat single coils.

I have 3 guitars now outfitted with Dynasonics, P90s and humbuckers and I like them for what they do and don’t ever want to grab the HSS so it’s been on consignment at a guitar shop for the past 4 months.