Pro Junior 10" Replacement - Looking for early break-up..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onestop, Jul 13, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I've been doing a whole lot of research here in TGP. While I've come across some pretty glowing reviews on the Eminence RC and the Celestion Vintage 10. Are either of these the way to go if I'm looking for something with early break-up?

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Early breakup would probably be achieved most easily with an alnico speaker. Maybe look into Weber or Jensen models. Although, I think Celestions aren't a bad choice either if they're low wattage.

3. onestop

Actually, forgot to mention that I was thinking Weber as well.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

My Pro Jr. starts to break-up at 5 on the vol. or thereabouts, which is early for most folks who complain it doesn't have enough cleans. If you mod it for even earlier break-up, wouldn't that turn it into a one-trick pony? ... sort of like the Peavey Classic 20 I used to have - lots of dirt, no cleans.

Just curious as to what your intent is, because of the above nature of the amp, I prefer to set the vol on 4 to have some cleans and use a gain pedal for od.

edit to add: ... or my latest preference is to set the amp at break-up point and use the dynamics of the OCD to get me from clean to dirt with my guitar's vol. knob.

5. onestop

Definitely not looking to turn the PJ into a one trick pony but I've never been one for clean-cleans. Mine currently breaks-up right around the same place. I think that I'm please with my tube situation but still using the original Fender issue speaker and was looking to improve the overall sound with a new speaker and looking for some recommendations :AOK

6. Crikey

Crikey Member

I just got a used PJ yesterday. Maybe I better look at tubes -- mine starts breaking up around 9:30 on the knob! I was very surprised by how much distortion this thing can do. My first test session was with the PAF-style vintage-voiced SSV humbucker in a Suhr Pro Series S-1, and the single-coils in the neck and middle positions. Lots less breakup with the single-coils, of course.

I was surprised, because Fender talks about this as the heir to the 600 and Champs of yesteryear. Those amps could break up early and aggressively, too, but my Pro Junior reminds me more of a very small Marshall than any kind of tweed. It gets well into 1980s LA metal tones. No wonder this amp sometimes has a bad rep, if buyers were hoping for a 600 or a Champ sound.

I did have a sense that the speaker was a limiting factor (along with the small cabinet), contributing to a boxy, small sound. I wish I'd had an adapter/extender so I could plug the PJ into a big pine box I had handy with a 12" Greenback in it.

Anyway, if anyone has a jones for a non-master-volume version of hard rock sounds, the Pro Jr is a crazy cheap way to get there. Well, mine is, anyway.

Crikey

7. onestop

USA or Mexico? Tubes? Speaker? Tell us more :D

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

EL84 on the Pro Jr vs 6V6 or 6L6 for the Champ. I am guessing that is gonna make some difference in tone.

9. Griz

Griz Member

IIRC the 20 watt Eminence blue frame alnico 10" (original equipment in the tweed PJ of the early 90's) is still in production. From my experience, I'd say it breaks up at fairly low volume levels. Might be worth checking out.

10. joel

joel Member

You might try a Weber P10R (10A100 I think?) with a smooth cone. Or ribbed cone for a bit less breakup and a bit brighter. That's what I've got in mine and it's a rich warm little crunch-monster. I thought the original speaker was shrill. Mine starts to break up at 9:30, pretty distorted by noon, using a P90 goldtop. There's also an abrupt volume jump at about 10. Not a clean machine, it's a raunch amp. I've had various speakers and tubes, and am fairly sure that's the character of the amp. At least mine. My champ-alike breaks up early too, although a bit later and with a different flavor of distortion. The PJ sounds fiercer. PJ is a lot louder than Champ.

11. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I hated the stock speaker, that went quick.
    I put an alnico Weber P10R (ribbed cone) in mine 10 years ago. The amp has had an old Marshall type flavor to it ever since. Crunches nicely and really loves pedals.