Pro Junior killer - have you found one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stikoun, Sep 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Modded PJ > PJ. I absolutely love my PJ and have since the day I bought it, which was the day the first one appeared in stores. Made in USA and fantastic from the get-go. Eventually, I found ways to make what I love about the PJ even better. When the crap OEM speaker gave out (and I don't even play loud), I went with a Jensen P10 (great) and later Celestion V10 (great) and currently, Weber. I did some easy, effective mods, the main ones being beefing up the filter caps, routing the wiring to reduce hum, and installing a Merc. Magnetics OT. Each of these liberated the amp more and more. Low noise, phenomenal response. I love the 10" speaker design; as the amp is now, I can get tons of bass if I want, with nothing close to the farting, flubby low end of most 12" combos, thanks to the OT and speaker. Finally, I did lots of tube swaps and found that for me, a 12AU7 in V1 eliminates the fizzy, silly gainy tone while not reducing the output power. (The OT helps there.) I totally recommend trying different tubes in the PJ, because in my experience, it reacts wildly to different tubes. For ex., RCA cleartop 12AU7s are highly regarded, but in my PJ they shriek insanely. And I use plain vanilla JJEL84s because the reissue "Mullards" (fake) and "Genelex" (fake) simply do not perform well, while the JJs do the job. I've run this amp like a dog for more than 20 years and it has been totally reliable and I get loads of compliments. AS we all know, Jeff Beck toured with one -- I saw him -- so I guess you can get some good sounds out of the PJ! Lots of session players love them as well.

Daytona57 likes this.
  2. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Pro Jr. killer? Have you guys tried the Line 6 Spider III 30?

3. Stikoun

Stikoun Member

Reality checks? I don't know. Last night at band rehearsal I was constantly switching back and forth between these two amps:

[​IMG]
    Yes, the PJ and a Cube 30. The Cube is decent considering how old, cheap and light it is. But come on, I cannot imagine anyone preferring the Cube to the PJ in a band context. Yes, it has both more treble and bass (confirming my assertion that the PJ is all midrange). I might even prefer the Cube for playing at home (but the current likes of the Katana, or even better, the Blackstar TVP are even more capable at that), but when playing with a full band, the PJ sits in the mix in a way the Roland really can't. And how dynamic the PJ is compared to the Cube! And when the Cube's power amp starts giving in, it does so in a very unmusical way to these ears, while the opposite can be said of the PJ. That does not take away from how great a value the Cube is, but I would choose the PJ for playing out any day of the week.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Emigre likes this.
  4. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I have a similar set up and concur. Though, I was thinking of running the PJIV and Cube 30 as a pair.

YMMV

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

Yep. Stock.

6. Christopher Sullivan

Christopher Sullivan Member

I really don't think for the money there is anything nearly as portable and gig worthy while still sounding great.

7. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Fender Pro jr. is a killer amp & seems to be a 5E3 type circuit, known for the touch response. Awesome.

I think the a Vox AC10 is also an amazing amp. Just amazing..

8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I love the Roland Cubes & have played through the 30 as well.
    I liked the Tweed setting the most.

But tube cleans are slightly better, no?
    The amp I don't like from Fender is the Blues Jr.
    If pro jr. is anything like a 5E3 tweed circuit, gold :)

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I find a BJ with a v30 speaker to be quite acceptable.
    I really think I look for a broader range and some things the PJ does not do well.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  10. richey88

richey88 Member

This place was very large probably 200 capacity. Weird shaped room, very elongated rectangle...

11. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I dug my Blues Jr 2 with Billm Mods and a CRex but eventually let it go and went a bit bigger, Vox TB18. Then I enjoyed a VHT Special 6 for a couple years in living room situations. But I recently got Quilter Micropro Mach 2 which offers so much more dimension, clarity, separation flexibility than those other two. Not a tube amp but any tradeoffs are overshadowed by the quality of this.... Sounds great from whisper to roar and weighs 20 lbs.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Cool. I got mine up to a hair under 7 on the volume. Boost pedal, when on, just a hair above that. My buddy used my phone to film some of the gig and it sat very well in the mix and, of course, had great tone.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Daytona57 likes this.
  13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Member

I have version IV from PJ. Great amp! Tried it with different speakers, like Ragin’ Cajun, Greenback G12M Heritage, even a 12” old Fender Designed spk from Performer 600. Sound changed accordingly. Comparing it to my Super Champ X2 or Marshall Studio 15 (Greenback inside), hard to say it, but love the PJ more than those two. Just a little bit more than Marshall 4001. Light weight, great sound!
    If you want something lighter, you may try... EHX Magnum 44 with a huge speaker, you will be amazed... hard to compare it to a tube amp, but still a great option. Another lighter option is my Micro Terror with a downgaintube 12 AU7 connected to a 15” speaker. Wow! But still missing some cleans...
    In the end: any other amp with Greenback might go next to the PJ. Studio 15 does it very next to (6V6 tubes inside!) but indeed has a 12” Greenback in my case...
    So, still PJ in the end!

Daytona57 likes this.
  14. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

rocknroll amps has a blues sr, made with different power tube configurations, that very nice.

15. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

A 12" speaker fits inside pro jr?

16. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Member

I don’t think so. I just connected the PJ to the Greenback in Marshall cab...

17. Peppy

Peppy Member

Traded just now for the fawn-colored IV...the Special Edition. Although somewhat for looks, primarily for tone. The new one is less 'trebly'.
    EDIT: Built on my birthday last week...good omen.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019