1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Junior Power Tube Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coyoteblue, Jan 27, 2008.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I just got a Tweed Pro Junior and want to upgrade the Sovtek EL84's. I've heard that PJ's can be pretty hard on power tubes. What are the best new and/or NOS power tubes for this amp. What should I stay away from because they overheat? Thanks.

2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I've had a PJ now for about 2 years. It is hard on the power tubes. JJ's last a long time, but I don't care for the tone personally (a bit bright and harsh). I tried expensive NOS Teslas, sounded wonderful, but were done-for after just a few months of use (severe microphonics and filament rattle), ended up with a set of Mesa Boogie Labeled tubes. They 'darken' the tone just a bit (which I like) and so far after about 6 months, still going strong and sounding good. I use my PJ as a practice amp, for very small venue gigs, and at jams where I crank it to compete with 60 watt amps (it does very well, BTW) :dude

3. loudguitarz

loudguitarz Member

JJ's and EI's seem to work well
    You can put a 12AT7 in V1 for more headroom

4. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for the advice. I agree with you about the JJ's. I had them in a SFDR and then put in some old RCAs and the tone immediately got mellower, thicker, more to my taste too. I'll check out the Mesa Boogie tubes and EI's if I can ever find them up here.

5. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

The 12AT7 in V1 makes a big difference for the better....

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The biggest difference in longevity will be due to the conductivity (idle current) of the particular tubes you get. It doesn't likely have anything to do with brand.

Read this. http://www.kcanostubes.com/categories/32/1/6BQ5-EL84-7189A.htm

You could also have a bias pot installed which would eliminate the problem for any pair of tubes you buy.

7. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for the info Mike. Can a tech test tubes by themselves on a "tester", or do they have to be installed to see how hot their running?

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Suppliers can sell you "low current" tubes, but the only way to find out how they're running in your amp is taking measurements on the tubes IN THE AMP.

9. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

One more thing. What brand of new power tubes would you recommend for a deeper, warmer sound. I find JJ 6V6's, for example, to be too hard, bright.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The TADs might help, or you may just not like the amp/speaker.