"Pro" replacement of a pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse (where' the icon when you need it?)
    but I'm still a little peeved about the "Bad Setup" (see my post) from my local guitar shop. They are willing to take a look at it again, but I have a friend who will buy the guitar if I put on the original neck and set it up as it was so I'm going to go that route.
    I am going to take the guitar back and show them and see about a partial refund or store credit (can't hurt to try.... I hope). But, I need to know from pro's if it's standard when replacing pups to actually cut the leads and just wire together a new pup with the existing leads or not? This seems REALLY lame to me... when I have replaced pups I desolder everything, install the new pups and resolder back together... Apparently that's how Seymour Duncan does it from his video as well.
    Am I out of bounds here or asking too much? Please let me know, I'm heading back there shortly.
    Peace!

2. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

yeah... that's not normal or professional; it's really lame. and extremely lazy.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Apparently it is NORMAL AT MIDDLETOWN MUSIC in MIDDLETOWN, DE
    :jo
    Oh yeah, and apparently it's okay if the low E string buzzes like crazy if the guitar is unplugged, as long as it's not AS noticeable plugged in....
    And apparently after a setup you still have to set your intonation and put on new strings yourself after a $100 setup....
    What a waste of money... I know you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, but I know the guitar and the neck should play better than this and they are after I put in 4 more hours of work on this thing. I was WAY better off before I dropped this thing off there. :NUTS
    People ask why we don't support our Mom and Pop stores; we'll now you know.
    The bad part is now I look like a "complainer" and I like these guys too. Oh well, chalk it up to experience I guess. Never again will I pay for a setup or fix unless I absolutely cannot do it just as good myself.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have all the respect in the world for strong guitar techs, but like a lot of things, a good tech is hard to find - and good ones are always backed up ... exactly why I finally decided to get 100% comfortable completing my own set-ups and small repairs.

Best tech quote I've heard - in response to a request to properly set up a new guitar I was considering buying, which had extremely high action ... "oh, I don't know if I can get it lower, these 7.25" radius fingerboards are tough to set up".

Again, not intended to bad mouth the many good techs out there, but this made me laugh. I still bought the guitar, took it home and set it up right.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

It sounds like these guys have absolutely no business working on guitars. That's ridiculous.

-Austin

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

In your other thread I said it may be time to let another tech do the work before they do more damage, I think that time is here. BTW, you should never tie into an existing pickup wire unless you're on a deserted island with no tools, that is really a lazy way of wiring a guitar.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Senior Member

That's absolutely ridiculous. I would demand my money back and make em buy you new pups too...wtf????

I wouldn't cut the leads on pups if I was wiring up a damn 335...sheesh...ridiculous.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it. And I'm really bummed about the owner more than anything else. Clearly, I called them out on the ****** pup reinstallation and he tried to squirm out of it, saying "you don't want to add any additional heat that could cause damage to the control plate/internals". Well guess what, they were supposed to work on the control plate / internals and look at replacing that stuff too
    :jo
    I put the original neck back on and gave it a little relief, strung it up and tuned it and it's playing great. (I had shimmed the neck before I brought it to them so I'm quite certain the tech didn't even attempt to take the neck off).
    This is actually a really good guitar and great quality for the money ($225). I'm selling the guitar (setup by me, the right way) to a friend who is just getting into playing. I'm going to keep the Tele neck and I might try it again with another body later on. I haven't given up hope.
    Unfortunately, I can't see any way around boycotting my local store. I could continue to be pissed, or I could just let it go and never deal with them again. Too bad, I'm a good customer that would continue to purchase gear from them, but now -- no way.