Pro Reverb: I'm thinking Gold and Eminence GB12...ideas, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55hz, Feb 4, 2015.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Any take on the Jensen C12R would be my recommendation. Hits a nice balance between sweet cleans and a tight but warm overdrive.

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I've never heard that combination, but I bet it would sound good.

4. modernp

modernp Member

I had the original utahs in mine for years.

5. rhaas

rhaas Member

I don't have experience with either of those but I installed a pair of G12H (70th Anniversary, 30W) speakers in my Pro Reverb and I was very happy with the results. I was chasing a deeper and tighter bottom end. The Celestions (along with a Bassman OT) really did the trick.

6. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have a Gold and an EV12L in my Pro Reverb and if you don't mind a little heft, it sounds amazing, clean and dirty.

7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I had the original Utahs in mine that sounded awesome but loud. Blew them. I decided to replace them with a Weber F150 and a Weber Legacy 65-watt, 30 oz, 55hz (kind of a cross between a 65-watt Creamback and a 55hz G12H).

They're really nice speakers, but I'm not sure they're right for the amp and the sound I want. The F150 is a little too clean and efficient, and the Legacy is a bit dark with loose bass- perfect for a Marshall but maybe not for the Pro Reverb.

I ordered a couple Alnico speakers from Avatar: http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-sa40/

They seem to be an American-made version of the Jensen P12Q: http://www.jensentone.com/vintage_alnico/p12q

They're 40 watts and super light. Made the Pro Reverb feel like a feather. They gave it a nice, dirty Neil Young tweed kind of grind. They are super quiet at 96db so there was really good breakup at very usable volumes. There is little clean headroom, but I'd rather have breakup at reasonable volumes than lots of clean headroom.

However, there was a problem with one of the speakers immediately. Dave at Avatar is sending out a replacement. I'm looking forward to it because I really, really like the tone of them. I'll have to report back when I get it and give a more thorough review.

8. pappafox

pappafox Member

The Jupiter 12LC sound fantastic in the Pro Reverb.

9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

EV SRO in mine. So I think a high power alnico with a tight bottom would sound great

10. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

... like the WGS Blackhawk HP (SRO clone)
    sounds incredible paired with a Gold or regular Blackhawk (Gold clone).
    Clone doesn't mean second best here ...

or you could look at the classic Gold / G12H combination
    I use '71 H30/55s, but any G12H version will do fine, including the WGS equivalents.

The GB12 is a decent speaker, though I'd rather pair it with a Private Jack than with a Gold.
    This will not be your classic Fender sparkly clean but a fine middle-of-the road tone instead, which will also take OD well - and it's ultra budget friendly too

ymmv, as always,
    Rhino

11. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Member

The Weber Chicago would be my choice. I have a pair pf re-coned Jensen C12Ns(Real Jensens) in my 66 Pro Reverb and they are great. The Chicago is a good alternative

12. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Tone Tubby/TT40-40 and an Alnico Red in my 66 Pro and they sound fabulous!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  13. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I have become a big fan of the Gold with my BF Fender amps. I have paired it with a Reverend Alltone which is in the Jensen C12N ballpark. Each speaker sounds excellent by themselves, and they create a great sound when paired. But here's a little twist. I prefer to play through them separately as the Gold gives a complex tone with more mids coming through and great high end sparkle, and the Alltone is tighter with less mids and a warmer high end. So you might say they balance each other well, but on the other hand they may neutralize each other to some extent. Here's another twist - my first choice now if I just got a new 66 Pro Reverb would be to try the Jupiter speakers, while that Green/Red Tone Tubby combination would be my second choice. I would not part with my Gold though.

14. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

I've been pretty happy with the Gold labeled Fender Eminence speakers. People are always pulling them from Hot Rod Deluxes and you can usually grab some for free. Great C12N feel and takes distortion nicely.