• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pro Reverb - silverface or blackface?

tylermoss

I have been looking at two pro reverbs at some shops near me, and I'm ready to make a purchase, but i'm torn between the two. one is a pristine early silverface, probably a 70-72 (i haven't pulled the date codes off yet) and the other is a HEAVILY, I mean HEAVILY modified 60's blackface. the blackface has peavey sheffield speakers, a line out, a push-pull gain boost on the trem channel, and a couple of other strange mods i couldn't figure out without taking the chassis apart at the guitar shop. the blackface is a little cheaper, but will cost, i'm guessing, 300-500 dollars to get it back to original specs. another caveat on the blackface is that when adding the line out, they drilled through the serial # stamp on the chassis. they're not collector's amps, but rather players, what would you guys go for? blackface the silverface and call it a day? i think the silverface has the utah speakers in it, too.

Heady Jam Fan

I'd replace the speaker in either of them personally.

Not sure how Pro's changed through the SF era, but the higher wattage amps changed more than lower wattage ones. Yet 70-72, I think, shouldn't be far from a BF. Someone else will undoubtedly know more about this.

I'd personally go for the SF. I think they are going to go up in value quickly in the next decade and its a 'sure-bet' while the BF sounds like it has a fair amount of work. Hard to guess exactly the cost or outcome. On the other hand, restoring it might be a worthwhile investment, but having holes drilled in the chassis, especially through the serial I'd think, will hurt that value.

Its impossible to say for sure without knowing the prices, condition, sound and mods done to the BF.

riffmeister

Silver Supporting Member
Of those two choices i'd take the SF. Esp if you are interested in a good clean Fender sound.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
Seems odd to me that the blackface has some silverface mods. Most go the other way? What I would want is to look inside the blackface and make sure it's really a blackface. It was very common a few years ago (and probably still today) to get blackface face plates (easily obtained off eBay from silkscreeners) and put them on silvers. With all those mods, it wouldn't surprise me if the black is really a silver.

Heady Jam Fan

Seems odd to me that the blackface has some silverface mods. Most go the other way? What I would want is to look inside the blackface and make sure it's really a blackface. It was very common a few years ago (and probably still today) to get blackface face plates (easily obtained off eBay from silkscreeners) and put them on silvers. With all those mods, it wouldn't surprise me if the black is really a silver.
I had a Twin like this. Came with the Silverface faceplate, which was beat-up, so the previous owner figured "might as well get a BF replacement while restoring the amp."

Sean French

I have been looking at two pro reverbs at some shops near me, and I'm ready to make a purchase, but i'm torn between the two. one is a pristine early silverface, probably a 70-72 (i haven't pulled the date codes off yet) and the other is a HEAVILY, I mean HEAVILY modified 60's blackface. the blackface has peavey sheffield speakers, a line out, a push-pull gain boost on the trem channel, and a couple of other strange mods i couldn't figure out without taking the chassis apart at the guitar shop. the blackface is a little cheaper, but will cost, i'm guessing, 300-500 dollars to get it back to original specs. another caveat on the blackface is that when adding the line out, they drilled through the serial # stamp on the chassis. they're not collector's amps, but rather players, what would you guys go for? blackface the silverface and call it a day? i think the silverface has the utah speakers in it, too.
Sounds like the BF is most likely really a post '78 SF with a BF faceplate.
I would stick with the SF that's clean myself.

NotWesYet

I would say SF, too. I have a '67 I bought new but had the silver face plate. Tech checked it and its even stamped May 7, 1967 and is a BF.

The SF can be blackfaces, but the BF you mention sounds like a train wreck!

They are great amps! Enjoy!

tylermoss

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. My gut was telling me to go that way, I'm not looking for a restoration project. The silverface sounds amazing. I'll post pics when I pick it up!

tylermoss

They both sound great, the modded BF has a crazy hum, no tremolo (turned the trem circuit into a overdrive- barf!) and those *shudder* peavey Sheffield speakers. I prefer the SF over the BF, I just wanted to check investment value.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The BF is maybe a $500 amp at this point-will have to be returned to regular specs, plus hard to say how much is missing. The SF sounds good actually and I'd be proud to own it!

MogwaiBoy

They both sound great, the modded BF has a crazy hum, no tremolo (turned the trem circuit into a overdrive- barf!) and those *shudder* peavey Sheffield speakers. I prefer the SF over the BF, I just wanted to check investment value.
They WHAT?!!?! Turned the tremolo into an overdrive? They totally butchered it man. It's a goner. When you open it up you'd probably be shocked at what else you find. But you would be restoring dignity to the amp if you had it totally fixed. How charitable are you feeling? It might need a complete rebuild. Putting Peavey speakers in a blackface Fender shows the lack of respect the modder(s) had for the amp's true sound and intention. Maybe they wanted to 'Marshallize' it or something. Yuck.

So I say the silverface beckons. I might go out on a limb here and say I like the look of silverface plates better too - skyblue on silver, nice.

woof*

Just find an unmodded blackface or a very early unmodded silver...both are similar amps.
Don't waste your time with that particular blackface...too many questions.

tylermoss

Thanks all for the great advice! I'm going to go and jump in that pro reverb in the next few days.

Cussion

The Pull-Boost mod might be something like the one people like Paul Rivera used to do to give Fenders more midrange and gain possibilities. It's probably not the pull-boost Fender put on their later SF amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom