Pro Reverb / Super Reverb differences?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Benny, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

After comparing schematics between blackface era Pro Reverbs and Super reverbs, I'm a little curious about why they are identified as different circuits (AA165 vs AB763). Other than some slightly different component values in the tone controls, and slightly (20 V or so) lower B+ in the Pro Reverb, there does not seem to be any other variation.

Am I missing something? Are the characteristics of the output transformers wildly different (apart from impedance matching)? Is one circuit more robust than the other?

I guess the real question is: would a healthy Pro Reverb through 4X10s sound distinct from a healthy Super Reverb through 4x10's (proper respective cabinet loads, of course)?

Thanks for your help.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You're right, they're very similar. Without looking, the bias circuits and PIs are slightly different, but the output transformer is the main difference (even discounting the output impedance difference). The Super has more "iron" and hence stays cleaner and provides tighter low end.

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Super is louder and has a mid control in the reverb channel. Pro has a fixed resistor value for mids... a very good-sounding one, too!

4. KCblues

KCblues Member

OTM, where do you find the detailed specs on OT's like that?

5. Tomo

Tomo Member

I have both BF super and pro.

Pro Reverb is better for me.
    Great sounding amp.

Tomo

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    There not much difference in a lot of the Fender BF line....

Subbing a Bassman OT was a popular mod on a Pro Reverb. I likes mines the way it is :D