pro reverb users

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gwr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. gwr

gwr Member

Got a '66 pro reverb on a great deal because it came w/o speakers and wondering what to put in it,I play mostly clean country tele tones but I do rock out here and there so I don't want jbl's,ev etc...I was thinking jensen c12n but damn things are hard to find,any suggestions?

2. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I recently got a '71 Pro Reverb that had Celestion V30s in it. Out they came and I put a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex in there. Smooth, even balanced tone with nice headroom--they never get ice-picky. I really like these speakers in Fender amps.

3. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

A Weber 12F150 is pretty close to a C12N. If you're on a budget you might also consider the Emi Legacy series. If you're really on a budget (and I'm sure to be flamed for this
    [*]) the Jensen Neo 12 is also a reasonable substitute.

[*] - seriously. I wanted to hate 'em, but for the price they're not bad at all.

4. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I have Eminence RWB's in a couple fenders and like them a lot. They make a fender sound like a fender, whatever that means :rolleyes:. Fat, nice cleans and smooth breakup.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Keep your eyes peeled for a pair of tan frame Jensen Vibranto's. The best Pro Reverb I ever heard had a pair of these in it. The Weber 12F150 is a great choice also; lightly doped.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Vibrantos' are just C12N's with a fancy bell cover.The new Jensen C12N's are fine sounding speakers.Why are you having difficulty finding them?They are readily available at www.mojotone.com . The Eminence lineup has some killer speakers for less bones.The red white and blues is fabulous sounding.
    I have a few Vibranto's and whi;le they are definitely cool looking and do sound great,they are no different in sound to the C12N.Some vibranto's are C12K's which are higher output,more like the twin reverb speakers.
    For lighter weight and great sound,the Neo's are hard to beat.
    i have a Pro Reverb with a pair of Tan frame Vibranto's and it sounds no different than a pair of C12N's but it looks way cool,so they stay.

7. slider313

The original C12N was a 25 watt speaker. The Vibranto was 40 watts due to a higher temperture voice coil, former material, and the same magnet and voice coil size as the original C12N. The newer(Italian) Jensen C12N is a 50 watt speaker and the C12K is a 100 watt. There was no original Jensen C12K. These sound nothing like the original series Chicago Jensen's.

8. gwr

gwr Member

the c12n's I was curious about is the original Jensen c12n which is not as loud as the Weber's version and a little smoother as I've heard both side by side,the Emi r,w,& b doesn't sound good with distortion because of the headroom and I'm not impressed with any other Emi speaker.

9. gwr

gwr Member

What do you all think about a pair a original p12n's,I know a friend who has a set that might be willing to let them go?

10. slider313

Actually the original Jensen speakers in blackface Pro Reverbs were C12P's and not C12N's. These had a smaller magnet with the same 1.5 in. voice coil as a C12N. These are also great sounding speakers for that amp. They do turn up on ebay from time to time.

11. gwr

gwr Member

Slider might have a point,there is one c12p on ebay right now and I understand that they are in between a c12q and a c12n,that would be perfect!

12. slider313

I just took a look and the one on ebay is a recone. It also doesn't look "correct" for a Jensen cone and dust cap.

13. gwr

gwr Member

I thought the same thing,something doesn't look period correct,my friend has a pair of "66 c12q's that he is willing to let me try out,what do you think about that?

14. slider313

The C12Q has a 1.25 in. voice coil and a small magnet structure. They won't hold the bass very well and will break up differently. The P12N's you mentioned would be a good choice for both magnet size and voice coil diameter. They will break up smoother and earlier than the C12P or C12N and will give a natural compression when pushed.

15. Balok

Balok Member

you might try one reissue Jensen C12N (real bright) with a fender Eminince( darker for balance). Vintagespeaker.com for the Jensen, ebay for the Eminence. This is what I like in mine.

16. gwr

gwr Member

I used the c12q's last night and slider is right,they don't have much headroom although they did sound twangy,I think I'm either gonna keep an eye out for original c12n's or get a pair of Weber 12f150's 25 watt and be done with it,thanks for all of your suggestions and info!!

17. slider313

gwr, if you go for the Weber 12f150 get them with light doping and request that they break them in for you.

18. gwr

gwr Member

slider,I e-mailed Ted @ Weber and he suggested one 12f150 and one 12f150b,25 watt and light dope like you said,well broken in by them and I think that's the route I'm gonna take....should sound killer!!!!!

19. slider313

I would stick with the stock 12f150/light dope. That's the more traditional tone for the amp. The "B", or British cone, is cool in a single 12" amp.

20. JDJ

JDJ Member

Alright, time for me to chime in. I bought a 1966 Pro Reverb last November. The original speakers were gone and it had a pair of 1967 Utahs in it. They actually sounded quite good except one had some voice coil rub.

Ted also told me to use a 12F150 and a 12F150B. I tried it but did not care for the 12F150B. I put the one good Utah back in and it sounded great. The Utah had about 22 ribs in the cone, and it provided lots of sparkle and detail. I do not recommend the 12F150B.

I then came across a 1966 Bassman cab with original 1966 Jensen C12Ns in it. I paid $535 and then sold the empty cab for about half that. These period-correct Jensens also have about 22 ribs in the cone -- like the Utahs. Guess what? They sound terrific! The solder joints in the Bassman had been unbroken. I had been searching for a while, and I feel very lucky to actually have found a pair, as originals are difficult to come by.

I suggest looking on ebay by running searches for "fender speak*" and for "fender bassman cab* -cable".

My other suggestion is a pair of Weber 12F150Ts or one of those and one 12F150. The T has the extra ribs like the Utahs and like my 1966 Jensens. Avoid the B, IMO.