Pro Tools is making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rog951, Jan 21, 2013.

1. rog951

rog951 Member

2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Member

:agree

3. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

It's making us all crazy... agreed.

4. rog951

rog951 Member

Has anyone ever actually recorded anything with this software? Or is everyone else, like me, too busy putting out little fires?

[​IMG]

I'm not a recording noob by a long shot; I've used other DAWs since the '90s with very few problems. I bought an Eleven Rack recently and it came with PT10 so I thought "what the hell?" Now I'm thinking "WTF?!?!"
    • Installation was a pain.
    • Authorization was a pain.
    • ILOK is a pain.
    • "Optimizing" the computer for PT was a pain.
    • Getting PT to recognize plugins was a pain.
    • Getting it to work with 3rd-party hardware was a pain.
    And I'm still getting various error messages. Argh! I'm sure the answers are in that "War and Peace" of a manual somewhere. Let me go read for three hours and try something else that doesn't fix the issue! :jo

5. 6shotsdown

6shotsdown Member

I finally moved to Reaper. PT is great but I think it requires to much computer and time than I am willing to give it. Granted, I'm just a hobby guy.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I could have made this exact post, word for word, when I first starting using PTLE 7.x about 7-8 years ago. I am also an experienced DAW user (and non-digital recording before DAW's existed). Plus I have advanced PC knowledge. And STILL I struggled with the exact same issues.

Unfortunately the only answer I found was lots of Googling and forum surfing, working through the issues one by one. Wrt getting it to recognize plug-ins, sometimes just uninstalling and reinstalling them a few times made it work. Stupid. The good news is that I did get it working and stable eventually, so there is hope. Sadly, as a consumer-level product, its just a very badly designed system.

BTW, I use Reaper now. I abandoned PT when they wanted me to pay to upgrade to a version that would work with Windows 7.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

I use and record with it all the time.. Have been for many years. Still, it can make you crazy for sure..

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Mac or PC?

9. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Pretty obvious it's a PC.
    If he was on a Mac he wouldn't have this issue:

10. jmoose

jmoose Member

That gripe list could be written for any version of Toolz running on either PC or Macs. Neither is flawless and actually the big mouse desks like the Venue and Icon are running windows XP under the hood. Some of us, well... I jumped off that train many years ago. Have PT8le here but only really use it for transfers.

[​IMG]

11. BWebb

BWebb Member

I have the exact opposite experience with Pro Tools. PT 10 is rock solid on my computer (2012 Mac Mini i7). I find the user interface more intuitive than other DAW's and prefer the work flow and layout. I also found the plethora of books, videos, and tutorials out there makes learning PT a breeze.

12. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Yeah, definitely mo better on a Mac but yeah some have had a good time of it on a PC. I'm just not one of 'em.

YMMV.

13. dunara

dunara Member

Pro Tools is a clunky unintuitive program in my view. I have to use it in my work (teaching sound engineering). It inevitably leaves me wishing I was back in my own studio with Cubase. I've done the Digidesign/Avid training courses, learned the shortcuts and got used to the arcane terminology and clumsy architecture.

I've used Logic, Audacity, Reason 5 and Reaper - I've found them all pretty straightforward. However, Pro Tools - even the most recent incarnation - carries far too much 'program baggage' from previous versions. Some of it even dates all the way back to 'Sound Tools'. If Avid could find a way to lose the hideously over-complicated bussing system and the way-fussy 4 editing modes, it would be a start.

Some aspects of PT are good; the plugin quality is excellent. The mixer page is clear and useable. MIDI provision is now adequate - it's reached the level of Cubase, circa 2003.

'It says something about the industry that Pro Tools continues to be the standard DAW in spite of being overtaken (by Logic and Nuendo/Cubase) some considerable time ago.' These are the words of the head SSL demonstrator at the training course I attended at the SSL factory a few years ago. As I see it, this success is down to a substantial, clever marketing campaign rather than any technological superiority.

In the 90s, legions of reps scuttled around a carefully chosen list of key recording studios, telling them that PT was the industry standard, long before it actually was. Digidesign tied the software and hardware together in such a way that once a customer had invested in one, they were 'locked in' to both. Along with all the hideously expensive software updates and the built-in osolescence of the hardware.

It's true to say that a huge number of successful recordings have been made on Pro Tools. Why not? It does all it claims to do. It's just that there are competitors who do it far more elegantly and easily.

14. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Switch to Logic. I did several years ago and never looked back.

15. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I suggest two things - a book called "getting started with ProTools" and taking your specific question to the DUC (Digidesign Users Group).

Interesting comments from Dunara. I have only worked on ProTools, and I love working with it, I just hate starting it up because I never know if I am going to need an upgrade to either my hardware or software. I have not used other DAWS, I went straight to PT because it is the "industry standard".

I am not big on Midi, however, much bigger on audio. I love the audie editing in Protools and find it very intuitive.

Every DAW has a learning curve and unfortunately, having experience in one DAW is often actually a major drawback in learning a new one.

I just bought a ZOOM R-24, built in drums & effects, records to an SD Card. SOOOO easy, I have already done two songs on it. Only drawback is no midi capability (but 24 audio tracks for $349 used).

16. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys - misery loves company I guess! :D

I'm currently running - or should I say "trying to run" PT10 on a Windows 7 laptop. I want to like it, I REALLY want it to work for me, but it's wearing me out.

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

That and the totally ridiculous way it handles crossfades.

Every other DAW lets you grab the clip, or a handle, and slide it over an existing section and it makes a crossfade. Not generate a separate crossfade file, that then needs to be selected/deleted, if it's not just right. Is that really so difficult to do?

Makes me want to kill someone, when I have to use it.

The two reasons that it's the de facto standard are that it was there first, and that the hardware-based version was very stable, as processing power in other DAWs couldn't handle multiple tracks, etc.

The native versions were an absolute joke, and were years behind all other programs, until thye switched over a few years ago.

18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Agreed.

Been using Logic since v4; it used to be a very difficult program to get your head around, and a lot of basic functionality was unnecessarily complicated. (D@mn that German over-engineering!) I used to beat my head against the wall constantly, and it took me years to feel sort of kinda comfortable with it. But I stuck with it, because under the hood it was incredibly powerful; the Environment alone allowed for infinite possibilities once you figured out how to use it.

However, after the Apple purchase and the UI and workflow overhauls of v8 and (to a lesser extent) v9, I find it to be the most intuitive of all the DAWs. It's exceptionally easy to use, has more included plugins and softsynths than any other suite, powerful editing tools to accomplish any task, is nice to look at and (most importantly) sounds great.

Best bang for the buck at any pricepoint IMO, especially if your focus is composition and recording in a home or project studio vs. simply being the computer version of a tape deck in a commercial studio (which is more ProTools' focus).

There are of course some individual features or UI elements of other DAWs that I wish Logic had, but all in all I'm supremely satisfied with it being the center of my studio.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  19. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I found PT10 to be quite quirky and difficult to work with regarding plug-ins. Most DAW's won't care what plug-ins you have and how they're installed but, with PT is quite the opposite.I had to move some plug-ins to different directories in order for PT to let me use them. The odd thing is that with my other DAW (Presonus Studio One Pro v1.x), all I had to do was tell it to rescan the plug-ins folder and it worked just fine even after moving the plug-ins.

The only thing I use PT for is to use to GUI for my 11R.

20. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Strange...I've never really moved PT plugins before unless I'm moving demo's out or I just get a one off & stick it in the Plug Ins Folder...other than that I've never had to put them in 'directories', click on the installer and they go where they're supposed to.