Pro Tools is making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rog951, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Chas

Chas Member

I have used both PT and Logic and like Logic better. Never had any real issue with Pro Tools just like Logics setup better.

2. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

these pretzels are makin' me thirsty!

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

pro tools native is meh. i used it for many many years. used it on mac used it on pc. same issues, horribly proprietary. logic is better if on a mac. learn it and you will love it. pro tools for native daw (pc or mac) is dated imo.

after all years of different daws, i decided sonar x2 64 bit. fast simple, never an issue. i have hefty projects running on saffire ls56 and octopre. not a single problem with any vst, vsti, theirs or after market. big reason i switched and went to win platform too. todays interfaces and win 7 or above are very stable. i didnt modify my pc or anything. i do however use it primarily as daw.

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

try the sonar x2 producer demo. see what pro channel does, work with screensets for various workflow. work the new midi editor and advanced editor tools. check out the advancements in their mastering tools, check the vsti packages included, the mass assortment of plugins you can now add to the pro channel and not require individual busses and routings. max your system for 64 bit daw. then try pro tools again.

x2 producer also works fine on touch monitors and w8. i am going to wait a few months to see if the better 20pt monitors go down in price. then i can eliminate my mcu controllers, mouse, etc. i think the future of daw will be touch screen.

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/touch.aspx

5. rog951

rog951 Member

Left the DAW alone for a night out of frustration, booted up this morning and got this:

"ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart Pro Tools."

Yeah, except I didn't change anything. Of course, you re-start Pro Tools and it just pops up again.

I googled a bit and it seems like several people have had this error for several different reasons and with varying degrees of success getting rid of it. Man, I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet! :(

Will this be the last straw?

[​IMG]

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

The Pro Tools vs. all the other DAWs in the world thing has been going on forever. You use what you use, people get used to what they get used to & like what they like.

This is my personal experience, it doesn't have to be anybody elses. PT sucks more on a PC. I had a hard time with Eleven Rack and a Laptop/Windows 7 looking for drivers and all the other PC stuff that happens. I also have had and used an 002 on both a Mac Pro & PC and Pro Tools HD on both. Pro Tools is just a better experience all the way around on a Mac...including visually.

Only my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. TELEparty

TELEparty Member

If you're on a Mac, switch to Logic. SO much easier to navigate and learn on, plus it's only $200 right now, plus you don't need specific interfaces/converters/etc to run it. Logic X will be released this year (hopefully in the next few months) and upgrading is a breeze. I suggest trying it out.

8. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

It should be the last straw :)

I'm am a former Digi regional tech support guy. I also have several years under my belt as a Logic Tech support guy. I currently (beside my main job which is Post Audio here in Hollywood) work evenings and some weekends for Apple as a Creative for Logic. I am certified on both and I use Pro Tools 13 hours a day here for post audio for television and some (albeit limited) film work. I also have severel hundred (probably reaching a thousand now) cues airing on virtually dozens of prime time television shows. I've written and recorded "most" of those in Logic

I've got about 15 years of trouble shooting computers and DAW's under my belt and I feel like I'm at least somewhat qualified. I'm also one of those guys who looks at Operating Systems pragmatically and particularly from the angle of what works best for audio recording. I'm not a fan-boy of either.

Pro Tools is a fairly robust application. There is absolutely nothing fundamentally wrong with it, in and of itself. It is fairly old (code wise) and is not particularly pliable when it comes to the never ending parade of PC born, third party hardware and for that matter the the OS. The fact that the code is getting long in the tooth however should never be misconstrued for a weak DAW environment...it is decidedly not. The age old and embedded problem here is the same problem I've encountered over and over and over and over again since the early days. There are simply too many variables in the PC world to make Pro Tools a sure-fire, plug and play device. People bitch endlessly around many forums about Apple being a overly tight, proprietary based hardware/software solution but I'm always left shaking my head as this is indeed the very reason both Pro Tools and in the old days Logic just ran infinitely better on a Mac. The code writers at Digi and Logic just had Titanically less "issues" to account for.

If your copy of Pro Tools is pitching endless fits the problem of course lies with your computer and as much as it's appears from your current perch, it is not Pro Tools. That of course doesn't absolve Digi for not being more aggressive with chasing down the endless issues of the day. Still, and for purposes of solving YOUR problem (and I'll guarantee this) the answer lies in you current computer configuration. The more you look under the wrong rocks for solutions the more frustrating your world will become and the more you'll grow to dis-like Digidesign. In short the only real way to make sure Pro Tools works is to a) make sure each and every piece of hardware is [SIZE=2]Digi [SIZE=2]compatible[/SIZE] and b) wipe down the OS and start over from a clean slate. I do believe if you do those two things and config cor[SIZE=2]rectly Pro Tools can be rock solid on [SIZE=2]Windows 7. I've seen it happen with increas[SIZE=2]ing frequency these days[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Should it be this way? Perhaps [SIZE=2]not[SIZE=2] but I don't know many DAW's code writers that choose to be cross-platform who don't encounter a biblical amount of grief keeping both OS[SIZE=2]'s happy. It ultimately comes down to company resources as to [SIZE=2]just how many code guys they can afford to keep chasing multi-platform applications[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]In the end if you're frustrated with Pro Tools move on to something that works for you. I know that sounds easier than it is but still i[SIZE=2]t's better to make music than to battle a piece of code.[/SIZE]

The endless chatter about how superior Logic is to [SIZE=2]Pro Tools or Sonar is [SIZE=2]better[/SIZE] than Logic or (on and on it goes[SIZE=2]) is just babble. I've probably encountered (by now) ten's of thousands of pissed off folks that have moved from one platform to another and hated it. "I just bought Logic and it's doesn't do XYZ like my old Pro Tools did" I make my living w[SIZE=2]ith both Logic and Pro Tools and I've said a thousand times the packages[SIZE=2], in the end[SIZE=2], they are far, far more [SIZE=2]identical[/SIZE] than they are worlds apart. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

9. Jordan63

Jordan63 Supporting Member

awesome post, thanks for all the good info.

10. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

ive been using nuendo for years now and it is just as temper mental and frustrating to get anything going just like pro tools. ive resorted to using another capturing device, a zoom r24 just to get things recorded. it also has no hummm or buzzz that needs to be isolated and its extremely portable. after capturing i take those files and import them to nuendo for editing and mixing. if i want to record more tracks i bounce down to the r24 record and transfer back. although i dont like the extra step, it has done away with the frustration of recording, or lack there of, which for me is where the issues are 99% of the time. the portability is also a huge anchor i was able to toss away, i was able to record in a cement stairwell on battery power, cant do that tied to a pc. ymmv but it works for me. a good mic, good levels and high resolution gets a pretty good recording. a better pre is next in tline for buying.

11. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

I mean....portable Digital units are and quite honestly always have been really cool. I was around for the inception of the original Akai D4's which were indeed a massive wake up call to any of us who were at the time skeptical about the future of consumer level Digital recorders. The next miracle in the unfolding was the VS series from Roland. I still have some great recordings done on that machine (VS-880) and what it brought to the consumer was really ground-breaking on almost every level. I'm still tempted to go out and garb one on e-bay just for old-times sake.The Zoom pieces seem to very much continue that tradition although the time based processing (mainly reverb) is eons less powerful than the VS-FX's cards provided for the VS series.

That said, and much like the OP's predicament, there are countless, endless users putting Nuendo to it paces without so much as a hint of a problem. There is no inherent flaw that makes Nuendo an inferior input recording device. Nuendo like Pro Tools, at it's fundamental core, is rock solid. It didn't work for you and I get the frustrating component of that. You wouldn't be the first I've encountered that just couldn't (for whatever reason) get to the bottom of their own personal PC woes an an accompanying piece of software. But because it didn't work for you doesn't mean the software (properly configured) isn't light years more capable and elementarily as solid as any stand alone device. Simply put, it is. That is of course sans the wonderful ability to be mobile as the stand alone devices obviously are.

Of course there's no debating that and that applies to almost anything flying the banner of a recording device, including Nuendo. Although it is true the input scheme in most 24 bit environments calls for a closer monitoring of the dbsf scale which puts a slightly different spin on the phrase "good levels".

12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I had the same problem with my machine. I was able to fix it by going into the sound properties within windows 7 (click on the speaker icon and then right-click it and select recording devices) Once you get there, you want to open click on your recording device (for me it was my Presonus Firestudio) and match the sample rate to what the presonus console application in my pc was setup for. Once that was done, the problem went away.

Here's the thread with the link in question to the solution:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/focusrit...device-properties-have-been-changed-quot.html

This is the link that walks you through on how to fix it:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1907470&postcount=1

And these are the directions:

"Just thought I'd leave this here for anyone who encounters the same issues I just worked through.

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface today, to run with Pro Tools 9.0.5 on an HP laptop running Win 7 64 Home Premium - and you think I could get the thing to work?

I couldn't get Pro Tools to record or play back with the 2i2 as the audio device. I could, however, get the 2i2 to work with Audacity.

I googled like mad, to no avail.

What I ended up doing was this:
    1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound
    2. Click on Manage Audio Devices
    3. In the window that pops up, you'll be in the Playback tab
    4. Click on the "Scarlett 2i2 USB" device
    5. Click Properties.
    6. In the next window that pops up, go to the Advanced tab
    7. Change the Default Format to "2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)"
    8. Click OK
    9. Click on the Recording tab and repeat steps 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
    10. Click OK again

Problem solved.

Hope this is of use to someone! [​IMG]"

13. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

i agree with everything you say. i am making demos and writing, this set up would not do well for any type of professional project. the problem i have is that i never have a dedicated computer for recording. and there was always some conflict with the daw or the disc burner, soundcard or whatever. although the hours of pinpointing these things made my computer skills advance greatly, it did not help me when i had an idea i wanted to get down before it was gone. a fresh o.s. and as little attatched to the computer always worked for a while, but it never takes long before it starts acting up again. i have great success with mixing and editing, just not the recording part. that part always seems much more sensitive to the machine.

14. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

This is where Pro Tools comes in for me…

and again it's just me. I went back & forth with Nuendo(PC) & PT & PTHD on a Mac. I really like Nuendo, alot. I like the sound of it even though that's been argued to death whether DAWs really have a sound or not & different at that….however I just have had a way more better experience recording, editing & mixing in Pro Tools. It just works for me. I tried to make Nuendo the one.

15. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

this all goes away when you get a Mac.
    seriously.
    I built & troubleshooted Pro Tools PC DAWs for 10 years. I also used them for recording my own work.
    It was a never ending circle of pain for me and my clients.

So much time and creative energy lost because of all the problems you've mentioned.
    You stop being a musician and instead have to become a PC tech which is not the goal.

Now I write and record on a Mac. It takes me less than 5 min to hook up an ext. HD and interface, boot up GB/Logic/Reaper and start tracking.
    I'm much more creative.
    I never have to worry if something is going to work, if the computer is going to crash, if I'm going to spend 20min finding a driver, etc...

Yes, Windows machines are cheaper to build/buy but it's really an illusion if you don't factor in all the time and energy you'll spend fixing your PC to run PT.
    What's your time really worth? Would you rather spend it fixing a computer or recording?

16. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

oh how i wish i started with a mac. i was talked into a pc by a friend and then i was too invested into plugins to start over again. i curse the day.....

17. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Use Presonus Studio One and you'll wonder why you even bother with PT in the first place. IMO, This whole pc vs. mac argument has no bearing whatsoever on how a DAW will behave in any platform.

18. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I can do the same thing firing up Reaper or Presonus Studio One in my Win7 machine and simply turning on my interface (which would take less than 1 minute), so what's your point?

If a PC is built properly, you won't have any problems using it for recording audio. People seem to think that just because your machine says apple on it, it's going to work flawlessly......:nuts

And before you ask, I've never had a single blue screen, freeze or problem with either Reaper or Presonus Studio One.. PT OTOH, is too finicky and requires more attention. Aside from the issue I had with the sample rate, I have not had any other problems. So, your argument about Macs vs. PC's isn't really valid.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Ahhhh, a VS-880, I rocked one of those for years and years, loved that little machine. Mixed down to DAT tapes from the VS-880!!!

20. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

What's your point?
    I'm glad you have something that works, but that's not what we were talking about.
    We were talking about running PT.
    IMHO if the OP is stuck with PT then he should be on a Mac so he can get on with making music and not be wasting his time troubleshooting driver errors, etc...

Back to the OP:

Buy a new Mac Mini. It's got plenty of horses to run PT.
    http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
    $599 or $799.
    Install PT on the internal SSD, beef up the RAM yourself if you want.
    Get an external USB 2.0 drive for your session files, and continue using your current monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc....with the mini.
    Easy peasy.