Pro Tools is making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rog951, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

That's of course absolutely true and thank goodness for it.

There is however an undeniable presence of folks bashing all software DAW's platforms without genuine reason. Not saying it's anyone here but there is a long history of uninformed experts on web forums who cast dispersions regarding various recording solutions based solely on utterly ridiculously ill-informed foundations. Yes?

2. jmoose

jmoose Member

I can't honestly recall exact details from a session that went down two years ago, but IIRC it was lack of available space and/or the internal drive not being up to task. Maybe I had the laptop? Don't remember.

So that and I remember we decided it would ultimately be better taking the rest of the day to consolidate edits & move the stuff out of Toolz since one of the guys has a Cubase rig and they CERTAINLY don't need my help to record vocals & overdubs!! Plus ultimately I'd be mixing and moving it to another platform anyway.

3. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

SkippyD, are you here in town doing post?

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Yeah, no doubt...anything really - whenever I see "such and such software/gear/etc blows this away" regardless of who said it I don't take it too seriously.

Usually that is.

5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I am up to ProTools version 8.05., but I realize that for me everything added since 7.0 is bloatware. Once they gave us the 7-band EQ I didn't need much more. The upgrades were not worth the hassle.

And with the OS compatibility issues back with version 6 & 7 you would NEVER have that computer connected to the internet (if you were a working studio) just because you never knew when Windows would decide download an update and possibly re-boot without telling you. And heaven forbid you should get a virus. It just wasn't worth the risk. PLUS the program was NOT compatible with the basic windows XP Service Pack 2, which after a year Windows wanted every computer to have, so you HAD TO turn off "auto-update" to make sure you never got it. That is not "intuitive." There was also a compatibility issue with an Internet Explorer upgrade, you had to stop it from moving from version 7 to 8, or ProTools wouldn't load. Those were two upgrades windows "pushed" on you daily if you didn't have them, so yeah, you had to disconnect from the Internet if you wanted to be safe.

And yes, when running a session with the maximum number of tracks every little bit of processing power mattered, so you would never leave any resource on that you didn't need, like an ethernet connection.

I am sure things are different now- but I don't buy the idea that it was all in the user's mind back when. In many cases it was user error, but I was a regular at the Digi forum for years, and I knew the difference between that and a real bug.

6. Blogname1a

Blogname1a Member

Anyone here feel a stand alone recording unit is more transparent, just easier to hit record, then play so as not to get in the way of the creative process?

7. rog951

rog951 Member

I think a lot of people feel that way and are more comfortable with the idea of plugging a mic/guitar into a box with faders and buttons that say "record", "play" and "stop." Nothing wrong with that at all. Of course, with modern hardware recorders, the exact same processes are happening inside both types of box, so the physical location of all those faders/buttons/knobs on the hardware unit represent a real limitation when compared to the flexibility of a DAW. Some people work better and are more productive with those limits placed on them. Truth be told, "feature paralysis" has had a huge negative impact on my own musical productivity over the years. But it's fun playing with the toys. ;)

Looking at it backwards, there's also no reason a DAW can't be used in a simplified manner such to mimic the workflow of a HW box. Granted there will always be the extra routing with a separate interface, etc, but once you're up and running, no need to use every feature of the DAW software.

It's an interesting topic, for sure. :aok

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

I dunno...9 was a biggie. They gave up the hardware thing & Automatic Delay Compensation ...you can use anything. That's pretty big. I know, I know everybody...all the others have had that for years. Im just saying as far as Pro Tools upgrades go...that was big,

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've been recording for quite a while, and I had to do a simple session on one of those things...

I seriously could not figure out how to make it go. Totally non-intuitive and the lack of any sort of visual help, w/o searching thru page after page of menus was amazingly frustrating.

I'll take any DAW, any day.

10. atson67

atson67 Member

What are you doing with PT ?
    If you want to record, compose and arrange, I say go logic 9 plus a few good plug ins.
    I use logic since '08 (had dp before). If my song is done, I export my files and bring the in the studio, where mixing and editing is done in PT (not by myself).
    Making music: Logic
    Engeneering/Production: PT

11. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

I suspect there are gonna be some Pro's that agree with you here atson. Still it'd be nice to hear from folks that have convictions like this as to the "why" you feel that way.

Logic, for those doing HEAVY softsynth work, has freeze tracks and off-line bounce capabilities. On the other hand Pro Tools has audio suite and a MUCH easy audio editor gui. There so damn similar in function it's almost not worth talkin about. Yet the perception persists that it's Logic for audio and Pro Tools for production. I still wonder exactly why folks continue to feel this way???

12. SkippyD

SkippyD Member

Nope...I'm in the DC market.

13. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

A "Pro" mastering with Reaper. You don't really mean that do you?

14. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

It's all cool Fred. Snooty, I promise you, I am not :) Still and clearly.....Mastering Pro's do not use Reaper. There is of course, and most likely, tons of folks using Reaper to bump levels with whatever bit-depth maximizing tool Reaper either supplies or can host but that of course Titanically removed from the art, the skill, the talent and the tools needed for Pro Mastering. Part of this discussion, although biblically removed from the OP's original question, has been about dispelling long held, wives tale based, web forum misconceptions. Along those lines and understanding you were trying to be well intended, Reaper isn't a Pro Mastering Tool.

15. rog951

rog951 Member

I get what you are saying here, but I'd wager that someone, somewhere, is getting paid to master recordings using Reaper as the DAW.

16. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

I use PT10. I run it on a Macbook Pro, maxed out my RAM to 16GB. I actually never had an issue with installation and or using it. It's definitley powerful and not the most intuitive DAW, but it works for me. I know I don't use it to it's full potential though. I used to use an MBox Pro 3 and recently upgraded my interface to a UA Apollo Quad. Seamless integration with PT10 -- really easy to setup and sounds amazing. Surprisingly I had more trouble making the MBox work with PT than the Apollo. Go figure,...

All that said I've heard great things about Logic and would like to try it out sometime. Will probably get another Macbook down the line and install Logic.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  17. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

I'm sure they are -- but they should not advertise this as professional mastering. Far from it.

18. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

:)...yes of course undeniably. But then the discussion would have to shift towards the definition of "Pro" and away from fairly wide-held misconceptions of the term mastering.

Truth be told I "master" stuff that gets aired on National Television each and every day. I'm also (much to my amazement) paid. That of course would, by definition, make me a Mastering Pro. Nothing however on the surface of the planet could be further from the truth...I simply don't have that skill set.

19. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Get a mac I don't understand how you are having so much trouble. Protools is not rocket science

20. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks for your help.