Pro Tools is making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rog951, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

What I did to learn ProTools was to attend Guitar Center's Free ProTools classses. They do FREE classses every Saturday at 10:00 am. Avid sponsors this. Absolutely everything I know about that software - I pretty much learned there.

They go on schedules, but your local Guitar Center should have it's own classes posted to the web site. They do GarageBand classes too.

Most of the attendees are musicians who are having trouble understanding the software.

2. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks for that info, didn't know about the classes at GC. I will definitely check it out. Did they cover setting up/optimizing your computer for ProTools at all? Most of my issues are coming from a "system-type" standpoint, not so much from direct use (or mis-use! ;) ) of the software.

I've pretty much moved on to Reaper now anyway, but I'd like to continue using PT with my Eleven Rack - the GUI is pretty dang nifty. Maybe when I build up my next DAW, I'll pay more attention to AVID's hardware specs when choosing parts.

3. atson67

atson67 Member

I found logic pretty easy to learn, connect any interface to your macbook and you're up and running. PT has been locked to pretty expensive hardware for a long time, so that might be a reason for the general consensus.
    watching my friend (producer) working with PT, i have no doubt that it's a killer daw with fantastic audio editing capabilities.

4. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

Switch to Reaper, you won't regret it. :aok

5. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

wow!!!!!I couldnt relate more to this post everything from I lok to driver mishaps to WOW its like me and rog are the same person

6. rog951

rog951 Member

I am feeling a little not like myself these days...maybe you are onto something! :)

7. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

The whole setting up thing everything you mentioned about Protools made me feel the same way to top it of the damn thing gives me static from time to time. You wouldn't believe the laundry list of complaints or technical difficulties people have with this DAW and their interfaces.I'm glad you felt the same way and I'm not crazy.The whole installation process too a whole damn week to figure out. Driver were all wack, I Lock Bs the list goes on and on my anti virus software didnt let me install it.Finally when I got it running there was allot of static when recording so I sold my interface because It was faulty, bought a mobile pre one that didnt meet the system requirements turns out all the mbox mini's are faulty so I just boughtmy old one back like a sucker and just deal with the static problems lol but I finally got it semi working, the whole learning curve took about two weeks to get over now I feel pro at pro tools.good luck Rog

8. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

FWIW: I have a full ProTools LE 8.05 setup. And I also just bought a Zoom R-24.

I love the zoom for fast set up. It will store efx sounds and it is very easy to import wav files, just plug in my guitar and start playing. Up and recording in less time than it takes to boot up my DAW and ProTools software, open a session create tracks.. .. .. ..

I also find it very easy to export the tacks from the R24 into ProTools for fast wave-form editing, and then back into the Zoom if I want.

Yes - creativity goes up with a stand alone box recorder, I am convinced. I do not like the R24 drum machine, however, too complcated to create a song with it.

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

All DAWs seem to suck compared to analog tape and mixers and some hardware digital recorders.

Used to be the Recording and getting good "takes" and great mixes was the big thing.

Now , except in Pro Studios the big thing is the DAW itself and it's plug ins, problems......

Let's say you are recording an acoustic guitar and vocal.

Does anyone merely set up a mic or two , set levels, arm a track and hit Record ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

We'll next time I have money on me I'm buying a new Protools and a new interface because they both suck and have problems left and right. Anyone completely satisfied with their interface and version of Protools.What I mean is there any protools/interface without the 100 flaws and glitches?If so which one.

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Satisfied here on a Mac Pro with Pro Tools 7HD, 8HD, & 9HD with at one time or another Lynx Auroras 8 & 16 and a MOTU 8Pro with PTHD 9 & even a Line 6 Guitar Port & PTHD 9.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

All the time - that's where a great recording starts.

Knowing which mic to pick and where to put it is very important, but so is availing yourself of the technology needed to make the best finished recordings for your clients.

Most software/computer problems occur because people don't take dedicate a computer solely to recording, and optimize it to perform correctly w/the hardware and plug-ins it uses.

Aligning/cleaning/de-magging tape decks and maintaining an analog studio took a lot of time and much more skill, IMHO.

13. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

It's far less about the tool you use, but rather how you use it (or abuse it, as the case may be).

That's not to say that the tools are completely unimportant, whether it's your choice of DAW or 2-inch 24-track or whatever, but the vast majority of the responsibility is in the hands and ears of the engineer -- just because you're recording to a DAW with unlimited track count and the ability to edit every single nanosecond of audio doesn't mean you have to. Use the tools as tools, not as crutches.

14. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

There are thousands upon thousands of Pro Tools users that run PT 8, 9 and 10 successfully on PC's. By the very nature of logic (not the software but the thinkin' kind :) ) if a great percentage of folks ARE successful running the software then a reasonable inference must be the software is stable. This must be. It is in fact, by a preponderance of evidence. From there the only logical question would become what, exactly, would be the reason it doesn't work for you and yet works splendidly for others.

Of course to answer this you'd have to identify what, if anything, is different in your DAW world from those that are successful. Indeed what is the wildcard that makes your DAW flawed and glitchy. Now I'd also submit to you before you have a chance to fire this back, the fact that Reaper, or Sonar or any other DAW works on your machine and Pro Tools doesn't is not a reasonable conclusion that Pro Tools therefore sucks. Software coding just doesn't work that way. Pro Tools simply needs to see a supported cast of hardware to work. They make that VERY clear from the get-go. Anyone asking for more is unfortunately doomed to Pro Tools problems.

After having tech supported Pro Tools for many years this much I can relate to you as utterly, completely and Titanically factual. 98% of disgruntled Pro Tools users are looking for answers and simultaneously placing blame in all of the most obviously of wrong places. The answer is in your back yard and I promise you once you accept that, identify (physically identify) what the different cog (cogs) are in your world, as opposed to those who are running PT successfully, your Pro Tools solutions will be starring you in the face. Unfortunately if you keep looking under the wrong rock the answer will remain completely elusive :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Why did you choose Pro Tools?

16. rog951

rog951 Member

I chose an Eleven Rack and PT10 came along for the ride. Moot point though as I've all but decided to go with Reaper anyway.

17. SquashPile

SquashPile Member

18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Agree. If you dedicate the machine to just recording tracks and nothing else, and you optimize it for that, it will run great. But I still would not steer anybody to pro tools. Unnecessary money pit. If you aren't doing professional collaborations with other pro studios, you are recording at home, you just don't need the hassle. Use Reaper.

The analog stuff is great, but someday you will have to pay someone to replace the heads, the capstan motor, and a few other things. Depending on the machine, it's either cheaper to buy a new one, or it's cheaper to buy a computer now. I loved my 1/2 inch reel to reel TSR-8, but the cost of maintaining it was ultimately back breaking. I switched to computer and have never had one minute of regrets.

19. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

My UA Apollo Quad runs flawlessly with PT10.

20. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

Thanks for your response.I was using all approved software and even their own interface the Mbox mini 3 but still so many problems.I have to say that I do like Protools tho I guess its because it is the only DAW that I've ever used but yeah I did do everything to their specs and still came across at least 3 serious problems.Could be my computer is slow who knows