Pro Tools is making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rog951, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I'm going to go counter to the grain on the iLok. Eventually you are going to see something out there you want, and I mean really want, and it is going to require an iLok. Ivory II for example, has the best virtual piano samples on the market today, and it requires an iLok.

The reason I moved away from Pro Tools was because of the draconian way it handles multi-timbral virtual instruments. It is very difficult to set them up properly. The way it handles audio work is good.

Every DAW has its pluses and minuses.

2. stratology

stratology Member

I have used Protools only sporadically, when I did, I quite liked the interface and the workflow.

iLok is not made by Avid (formerly Digidesign).

It's a 3rd party product. When I used it, it came with the MOTU Mach5 sampler. iLok is USB hardware, to allow the DAW to talk to the USB dongle, the iLok software installed a kernel extension in /System/Library/Extensions. Everything that goes into /System and talks to the kernel has to be flawless, because it can affect the whole OS. So the standards regarding stability and bugs are much higher than for applications (like the DAW itself). If a DAW has a crashing bug, the DAW itself crashes, nothing else is affected. If a kext is flawed, it can have a negative effect on the whole system - which is exactly what I experienced. Bizarre symptoms, random Finder crashes, etc. All went away again as soon as I had removed every piece of the iLok software.

I assume that some of those bugs are fixed today. From a technological point of view, manufacturers that use iLok, or any other hardware copy protection, create an additional, unnecessary risk (of crashes, compromised system stability etc.) for end users, because the DAW always has to talk to the USB hardware. So a decision to use other ways of authentication that do not affect /System are wiser, purely for technical reasons, regardless of how a company presents itself.

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm sure if I had gone through all the training from the ground up in digital recording,
    I might feel differently.

For someone going it alone, hoping Digital Recording would make recording easy,
    my experience with Digidesign and Protools was not a favorable one.

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

The iLok is a PITA, even if it only takes a few seconds to get going. I like the idea that you bought something, you should be able to use it on any computer you own...without the iLok. The licensing/pirating thing is a biatch I suppose. I like Pro Tools, the software though..

Paying extra to Export MP3s is kinda ridiculous, it'd also be kinda hard to convince me that they couldn't have given users Automatic Delay Compensation and unlock the Hardware/Software thing way before Pro Tools 9. The upgrade path kinda sucks also...all IMHO naturally.

That said, I deal with it. I like the software.

WAVES on the otherhand, I'm pretty sure I'm done buying anything they have ever again. Having to basically pay a fee to the company to sell what you already boughtfrom them is I dunno...borderline criminal to me - well okay immoral maybe. Like the plugs though!

but I digress...

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

With Waves, people are essentially leasing the right to use the software.

There are countless posts on the pitfalls of the Waves WUP program.

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Oh yeah...and the anti Pro Tools/Avid/Digi thing also. I don't even know why I'm adding to an already really, really tired argument. Caffeine maybe & I can't help myself.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Agreed, no real point in going back and forth.

Protools didn't work for me as I hoped it would, so I moved on.

8. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I’v switched to Logic Express. Phew. Easier to use.

9. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

yeah the damn thing was approved

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Danger Will Robinson!

Warning! Warning!

It Does Not Compute.......

11. jmoose

jmoose Member

This might be a newsflash but ALL software and digital platforms in general are basically leased. Read your user agreements! And even if you truly "own" it the road is littered with companies that went out of business... Roger Nichols Digital; Bias who are probably best known for Peak went under last year. How about all the people that bought into Ensoniq's Paris system?

I was one of the many unlucky people about a decade ago who bought Logic, then under eMagic for Windows & was tossed under the bus not even 6 months later when Apple bought 'em and discontinued all support almost overnight.

Nobody forces anyone to buy into WUP or any other upgrade plan. Plenty of people out there using "legacy" recording systems that haven't been updated in years. Long as the hardware keeps going there's no problem right?

Personally I hate iLok & USB dongles for other reasons... the greatest is that regardless of how many thousands of dollars of gear are in a session, the whole damn thing hinges on and can grind to a halt over a $40 plastic thumb drive.

In your own words if you had gone through all the training from the ground up in recording you'd probably feel differently, or at least have a different perspective on things.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

@jmoose,

From what I understand, with Waves, something as basic as adding or replacing a hard drive can result in the user being forced to upgrade their WUP .

13. jmoose

jmoose Member

The only time you'd be forced to purchase WUP or most other upgrades is if you switch computers and/or the OS to a version that's incompatible with the version that you have a license for.

Honestly, most "upgrades" are just gonna get you in trouble and break things. The vast majority of pro users or anyone who needs the DAW to be reliable day after day is going to build a rig and leave it alone.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

That's why I'm not budging from where I'm at.

Mac OS 10.6.8

If it works, don't fix it.

15. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Yeah, after he bought Elemental Audio (whose EQ plugins are a staple of my setup). So now I have these great EQ plugins that are completely orphaned, as Nichols made absolutely zero effort to support his users as he pulled the plug (pardon the pun) and I'm likely to hit a point in the not-too-distant future where I can no longer use them with no recourse whatsoever (unless I can find a cracked version out there somewhere... hmmm...).