Pro Tools LE compatibility w/ Leopard soon?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MagnumSSS, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Anyone hear any inside news? It's April. Leopard has been out since October. This is driving me nutz.

2. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

Same here.I installed leopard anyways just for the fun of it since lately i have been using garageband and then garageband wasn't working and i looked online and it says something about the pro tools core midi or something is causing garageband to not start upin leopard.So i just went back to 10.4.1

3. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I jumped from Panter to Leopard. Wish I could just temporarily drop down to Tiger. Oh well, word on the street was that we'd probably see a compatibility update in April, this month. We shall see.

4. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

This, of course, is the source of lots of heated discussion over on the DUC (Pro Tools forum.)
    Here's Digidesign's latest info:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat....e=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1#1259137

By the way, there are several guys on the DUC that are successfully using Leopard with PT 7.4 LE. There are some tricks to follow, but some are making it work.
    Search around and you'll see what some of those guys are doing.

5. Anchorage42

Anchorage42 Member

It's looking more like May or June unfortunately.... this is lame.
    I have so many protools files that I've worked on over the years that I can't open and edit. Anyone here know of any other way to just open these files?

Thanks

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Digidesign is a development partner with Apple and they have had access to all the developer seeds all along like everyone else.

They can try to spin this delay anyway they want, but in the eyes of many
    there's no excuse for them to STILL be dragging their feet this way.

7. elambo

elambo Member

ProTools needs new code, but so does Leopard. The final version of Leopard wasn't gold until very near its release date and Digi couldn't begin testing until then. It's a two way street which requires Digi's and Apple's effort. I have no idea if they're dragging their feet, and I doubt any others here would know either, but it's in the best interest of both Digi and Apple to make LE compatible with the new Macs as soon as possible.

I don't work for Digi and I don't particularly feel any empathy for their company, but I've given the LE port some slack for the above reasons, which I've only ever heard to be true.

8. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I'd rather see it slow and right than rushed and wrong.

I'm still running 7.1. No time to stop and upgrade to 7.4, although it's paid for. I've got a nice stable and busy system, good for making a living.

9. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I want to keep my Powerbook upgraded with the latest OSX releases/updates/versions. Plus, I still need to get a good plugin suite for Pro Tools. And, I can't use it for 1-2 more months.

I'm buying Logic 8 and most likely an Apogee Duet today. I'll be better off.

I just emailed Digidesign asking to be refunded the $75 I spent on 7.4 LE. Think they'll do it? I downloaded it, and have the install files/info all on a CD that I burned. Or, if I just include it with my Digi 002 Rack and sell it to someone, do we need to have Digidesign help with a transfer of ownership or does the buyer just use the activation/serial code info that came with my 7.4 software download?

10. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I'm still running LE 6.4 on a 10.3 system. You guys should quit complainin' :)

--chiba

11. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Digidesign's GM posted a note saying that LE and M-Powered support
    is going to take a few more months.

My gut feeling is that the problem is their interface drivers and probably
    includes protecting their interest on which interfaces are officially
    Approved.

My guess is that the actual DAW Software itself is FINE!

Digi's protectionist attitude about which interfaces you can use has
    been a hot button issue for me, for a long time.

In all fairness, Apogee has a few issues with their drivers keeping up
    with the newest OS updates too.

Fortunately, I'm not restricted to using only Protools.

My Stimulus Refund is buying Logic Studio 8 :)

13. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Digi CoreAudio Manager crashes a lot & really slows down my computer, even with high buffer settings. I think there's some compatibility issues there with Leopard, just a hunch.

14. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

It's been threads like this that make me want to just learn songs from my turntable...... *arghhhhhhhh*

maybe my Tascam 488 is still working :bow

15. jcground

jcground Member

I have been planning a Mac purchase specifically with the goal of running LE on it, and I've decided to wait it out for Leopard compatibility. I suppose I should be open to other options too...

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

That's not so far fetched!

I got more done on my good old 488 than I've ever accomplished with all these digital headaches.

I just put myself in Beatles mode, recording and bouncing down to the final
    4 outs.

If you just want to keep it simple, use Garageband or Logic 8 Express or Ableton Live.

17. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Let me just say that I'm really happy I switched back to Logic, and got the new Logic Studio. The user interface is much easier to use than Logic 7 (and not that Logic 7 was all that difficult, but I'm still learning how to use recording software, and Logic 8 Studio is set up to allow you to mainly work out of one window rather than managing multipel floating windoes). I'm sure I'll want to put an Edit window on a separate monitor when I get deeper into working with logic, but doing beginner-level audio & midi tasks in Logic 8 so far has been a breeze and it sounds great!

Good luck to everyone waiting on Pro Tools compatibility. I feel your pain.